Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Holy Heck!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Holy Heck!

$120.00 for compressing my springs with the install of my 5100s.

How or why could it be so much for just pushing down on a spring?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
knickerbocker is on a distinguished road

knickerbocker's Tacoma Gallery
holy heck indeed! i thought mine was bad at $73! man that's rough.

how's this though... i first asked around for a shop with a spring compressor and was referred to a guy who builds trucks for a living. called him up and told him i needed springs compressed to switch the top plate on to new springs and shocks. he says he'll do it, so i drop them off next day before work. at noon he called me and said he doesn't have the tool to do it. what!?! how do you not have the tool do this!?! worse, how do you not know that you don't have the tool to do this?

lentsnh, yours probably cost so much cause it took the guy three hours to figure it out.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
At $120 bucks, you are getting screwed. It should not be more than $65 tops.

Better yet, you could do it your self for free with a rented spring comressor from your local auto parts store.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
TacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to behold
TacoMOnster07's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TacoMOnster07
If there just throwing the spring on the shock, not reinstalling it on your truck that seems kinda steep. Installing new springs only took me probably 35 minutes with the right compressor and tools. Installing it back on my truck was much longer lol. If you think shop time let's say 1 hour of time, mine charges around $75.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like your classic hourly rate to me. Probably only took them 15-20 minutes too.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by knickerbocker View Post
holy heck indeed! i thought mine was bad at $73! man that's rough.

how's this though... i first asked around for a shop with a spring compressor and was referred to a guy who builds trucks for a living. called him up and told him i needed springs compressed to switch the top plate on to new springs and shocks. he says he'll do it, so i drop them off next day before work. at noon he called me and said he doesn't have the tool to do it. what!?! how do you not have the tool do this!?! worse, how do you not know that you don't have the tool to do this?

lentsnh, yours probably cost so much cause it took the guy three hours to figure it out.
I haven't done it yet. I just got quotes. This was from a Very respected Tire shop. They are very loyal to their customers... especially us.

And That makes no sense. You say you have it and then don't have one Good thing you didn't pay ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
At $120 bucks, you are getting screwed. It should not be more than $65 tops.

Better yet, you could do it your self for free with a rented spring comressor from your local auto parts store.
NO WAY! Im not going near one of the "renting" Compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMOnster07 View Post
If there just throwing the spring on the shock, not reinstalling it on your truck that seems kinda steep. Installing new springs only took me probably 35 minutes with the right compressor and tools. Installing it back on my truck was much longer lol. If you think shop time let's say 1 hour of time, mine charges around $75.
Yeah I called a local Truck performance shop here and they said its like $70. and then I said when can I come in..... They said Oh sorry ours is screwed up.

And they are reinstalling it. Uninstall, put in 5100s, reinstall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
Why not just go to Auto Zone and use their "Borrow a Tool" program and do it yourself??
I value my limbs too much
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Sounds like your classic hourly rate to me. Probably only took them 15-20 minutes too.
Well I asked how long it would take them. they said 1 hour to 1 hour and a half. I drove by there today and there was like NO one there (customers).

And they only quoted me on the switch........... not on the labor
Old 06-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
My local muffler shop swapped mine for $25 in about 15 min.

Both sides
Muffler shop that has a spring compressor. Thats weird. But hey you got it done DIRT cheap

I have two more shops I will call tomorrow. Hopefully one of the two will give me a better deal
Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
my mechanic installed the 5100's, did an oil change for 165.00
Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #11
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
my mechanic installed the 5100's, did an oil change for 165.00
how much was the oil change?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #12
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
20 bucks, i let him install all of the parts i get, it's too cheap to pass up.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #13
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
20 bucks, i let him install all of the parts i get, it's too cheap to pass up.
What?! Than your quote for the suspension was $140
Old 06-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
What?! Than your quote for the suspension was $140
yup, take out all old shocks, put in 5100's front and rear. he took out my coilovers and put the 5100's back in for free, had to rebuild. come on over and give you a good reason to come to cali.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 PM   #15
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yup, take out all old shocks, put in 5100's front and rear. he took out my coilovers and put the 5100's back in for free, had to rebuild. come on over and give you a good reason to come to cali.
OH ok............. Uhm Thats a Great deal

You didnt say what you got done.

Thats thr only reason hahaha
Old 06-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #16
when i got the 5100's he had to compress the springs on the stock shocks and put the springs on the 5100's, same thing you are trying to do. shop around, i would not pay that much for that
Old 06-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #17
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
when i got the 5100's he had to compress the springs on the stock shocks and put the springs on the 5100's, same thing you are trying to do. shop around, i would not pay that much for that
I am I have 2 more shops to call tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #18
have you thought about renting a spring compressor from a auto parts store.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #19
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
have you thought about renting a spring compressor from a auto parts store.
YEah I have. Me and Paul (lifesaflaw) were going to do that but he is having money issues

and I value my limbs too much
Old 06-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #20
i hear ya, i wouldn't do it either, dood send me your 5100's and i will send you my complete 5100's if you want.