LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How much will the feel of my truck change?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
JackedTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Johnny
JackedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
How much will the feel of my truck change?

Hi guys, Have a 07 access cab off road and its time to start the mods!!
My question is, I am looking to put a 3 inch lift (toytec) and am wondering, I like the way my truck drives now, how much can I expect it to change with a three inch lift. I am looking at spacers up front and AAL in the rear.
Thanks guys!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I know for a fact that a spacer lift will make it stiffer, and not smooth. Like if you went with a OME coil lift, or coilovers.

just my 2cts.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Depends on the type of spacer....IN coil spacers preload the springs and lift the truck, with some increase to the stiffness of the ride. TOP spacers just add height to the set up without messing with springs. They shouldn't have a major effect on the ride.

Check out the Bilstein 5100 shocks with an AAL in the rear if you have a budget...you can get lift and a good ride...plus they are better than the stock shocks.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Dont do the spacers!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
I used their Ultimate kit with the TSB AAL and if I was rating mine on a 100% factory ride I would give it 95%.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
I used their Ultimate kit with the TSB AAL and if I was rating mine on a 100% factory ride I would give it 95%.
I'm researching pretty much the same setup you have, did you get the TSB done and the TSB AAL, or just get the TSB AAL with no TSB?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
JackedTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Johnny
JackedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, should I opt for the Ultimate lift kit then? OR go the Bilstein 5100's route with AAL instead.
Thanks in advance, kinda a newb at this...
Old 11-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Chicago Bob is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aircraft Electrician F-14
Name: Bob
Chicago Bob's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Guys, you seem like experts here on this forum. I have a question about shocks. I am not into lifting my 98 Tacoma Extra cab, but I do want to change the shocks on my truck. I have a set of Bilsteins for the rear from a TRD pre runner, will they work on a non pre runner? I want to change my rear shocks for a more stable ride, Will the Bilsteins or Tokico's work without modification? The bolts on my rear shocks look smaller than the rubber bushings on the Bilsteins. Any help would be appreciated. It the metal bushing the same diameter as the rubber bushings that came with the shocks? The Bilsteins look the same, but I am not sure if they will fit. Thanks in advance for your help. You can e-mail me at lyonhart49@hotmail.com. Thanks again guys. I can see where I can learn a lot about my truck here!!! P.S. My Tacoma is an SR-5 if that makes any difference.
Chicago Bob.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
Wanna know how I got these scars?
BigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
BigBawlzTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
I'm researching pretty much the same setup you have, did you get the TSB done and the TSB AAL, or just get the TSB AAL with no TSB?
I wanna know too
Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Bob View Post
Hey Guys, you seem like experts here on this forum. I have a question about shocks. I am not into lifting my 98 Tacoma Extra cab, but I do want to change the shocks on my truck. I have a set of Bilsteins for the rear from a TRD pre runner, will they work on a non pre runner? I want to change my rear shocks for a more stable ride, Will the Bilsteins or Tokico's work without modification? The bolts on my rear shocks look smaller than the rubber bushings on the Bilsteins. Any help would be appreciated. It the metal bushing the same diameter as the rubber bushings that came with the shocks? The Bilsteins look the same, but I am not sure if they will fit. Thanks in advance for your help. You can e-mail me at lyonhart49@hotmail.com. Thanks again guys. I can see where I can learn a lot about my truck here!!! P.S. My Tacoma is an SR-5 if that makes any difference.
Chicago Bob.
If your truck is a 5 lug (5 lugs on the wheels), the shocks from a 4x4 or Prerunner wont fit. And welocme to TW!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
MMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Michael
MMazz365's Tacoma Gallery
Ive had my truck for like a month. a guy at a lift kit store near me said if i got a 2inch leveling kit i wouldnt notice the difference in the ride at all. i forget the brand though
Old 11-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
Thanks Chris 4X4 for your help. I need to pop of one of the wheel covers, but I have a feeling I have a 5 lug pattern, if so, I am stuck with 2 sets of shocks that won't fit my truck. What I am looking for is a smooth ride with a more stable feel, do you have any suggestions on shocks? Thanks again for your help. Let me know what you think, Thanks Bro.

Chicago Bob!!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #14
If anyone has a suggestion for a good shock that will give my extra cab a smoother and more stable ride, please let me know. I value your opinions. I do love my Tacoma. Thanks Guys.

C.B.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #15
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
If anyone has a suggestion for a good shock that will give my extra cab a smoother and more stable ride, please let me know. I value your opinions. I do love my Tacoma. Thanks Guys.

C.B.
I have heard good things about the Monroe Sensatrac shocks on the 2 wheel drive trucks. And a friend of mine ran the KYB Gasajust on his truck and liked those.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #16
Smooth Stable shocks for a 98 extra cab

Chris 4X4,

I know my truck has the Monroe sensa tracks on it now, they are possibly worn and may need to be replaced. I like the idea of the KYB Gas adjust shocks. They may be the answer for me. I love my Tacoma, it fits me like a glove. Thanks again Chris 4X4.

C.B.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Chris 4X4,

I know my truck has the Monroe sensa tracks on it now, they are possibly worn and may need to be replaced. I like the idea of the KYB Gas adjust shocks. They may be the answer for me. I love my Tacoma, it fits me like a glove. Thanks again Chris 4X4.

C.B.
Glad to help.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #18
Jeffrey is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeffrey
Jeffrey's Tacoma Gallery
I love the ride and the handling of my 06 access cab, it is a grocery getter I don't want to get it muddy or scratch it. I went with 2 1/2 top spacer in front and aal in the rear, fairly easy to install without having to change anything else like brake lines. It still handles as well as it did before and has a nice firm but still comfortable ride, gave me a 3 inch higher lift and with largest tire that will fit the stock rims it has a nice tuff look to it. As a side note make sure whoever is mounting tires on stock rims knows to break the beads and remove the tire pressure monitors before removing or mounting tires. The guy where I bought my tires did not and broke the monitor on the first one. This cost them $150 for the monitor plus $80 to have it reprogrammed at the dealership. Dont think they made much on me that day even though I bought 5 tires (yes I replaced the spare which was brand new) so it would match.