Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lookin for a good steering stabilizer for 06

Old 06-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
steve r is a name known to allsteve r is a name known to allsteve r is a name known to allsteve r is a name known to allsteve r is a name known to allsteve r is a name known to all

steve r's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin for a good steering stabilizer for 06

What is the one stabilizer yall use on ur 2006 taco?
Thanks
Old 06-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Typically a good alignment will eliminate the need for a stabilizer unless you're running massive tires offroad.

Is your truck acting up?
Old 06-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
steve r is a name known to allsteve r is a name known to allsteve r is a name known to allsteve r is a name known to allsteve r is a name known to allsteve r is a name known to all

steve r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Typically a good alignment will eliminate the need for a stabilizer unless you're running massive tires offroad.

Is your truck acting up?
just a tad bit with the new tires 60s
Did the same thing with the 50s.I have a wee bit shimmy in the wheel driving straight down the hwy.When i turn the shimmy is gone while in the turn.Had the truck ckecked today for alignment and is perfect.Goes straight down the rd with no drift or pull.No wear in the old tires at all .So i believe its the width of the tires .old & new ones .It acted the same with the 50s .no change .i thought it would change with 60s ,but no change .both sets of tires i had on acted exacty alike .IM confused.The new tires and rims balanced out perfect ,with 1.25 oz at most of all 4
Old 06-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
That's definitely weird. Ok then, steering stabilizer for you.

Someone else will have to chime in with a solution. I haven't seen one installed as a bolt-on.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #5

steve r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's definitely weird. Ok then, steering stabilizer for you.

Someone else will have to chime in with a solution. I haven't seen one installed as a bolt-on.
Its just on the wheel at 12 oclock position straight up.left or right no shimmy.Its very minimal .but its there .
Old 06-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
It takes some custom work to put one on the Tacoma front ends.....Are you running aftermarkets UCA's? You may have very little caster.........
Old 06-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve r View Post
just a tad bit with the new tires 60s
Did the same thing with the 50s.I have a wee bit shimmy in the wheel driving straight down the hwy.When i turn the shimmy is gone while in the turn.Had the truck ckecked today for alignment and is perfect.Goes straight down the rd with no drift or pull.No wear in the old tires at all .So i believe its the width of the tires .old & new ones .It acted the same with the 50s .no change .i thought it would change with 60s ,but no change .both sets of tires i had on acted exacty alike .IM confused.The new tires and rims balanced out perfect ,with 1.25 oz at most of all 4
What allignment specs are you using?

How long have you had the lift kit?

I would highly recommend getting underneath your truck and checking everything. Make sure the lift kit you have on there is still good - make sure everything is TIGHT and not worn out. Jack up the front end.... and wrap your arms around each tire and shake it back-n-forth and in-and-out.
If you've got the wobbles...you need to investigate where they're coming from. Check steering rack - is it loose? Are the bushings shot? Check balljoints on your suspension, check everything and anything on the front end.

A steering stabilizer is only a bandaid..... and it's rare to see people talk about steering stabilizers on these forums (IFS in general).
Old 06-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #8

steve r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What allignment specs are you using?

How long have you had the lift kit?

I would highly recommend getting underneath your truck and checking everything. Make sure the lift kit you have on there is still good - make sure everything is TIGHT and not worn out. Jack up the front end.... and wrap your arms around each tire and shake it back-n-forth and in-and-out.
If you've got the wobbles...you need to investigate where they're coming from. Check steering rack - is it loose? Are the bushings shot? Check balljoints on your suspension, check everything and anything on the front end.

A steering stabilizer is only a bandaid..... and it's rare to see people talk about steering stabilizers on these forums (IFS in general).
Every thing u mentioned we did and was all excellent ..Ill go back tomorrow ,put back on rack and inspect again .The truck was on a hunter alignmnet machine .so the tires were off the rack.No lose nothing that we found.
.bushings all good .steering rack is tight and not worn.
Confused myself.
Thanks
Old 06-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Every thing u mentioned we did and was all excellent ..Ill go back tomorrow ,put back on rack and inspect again .The truck was on a hunter alignmnet machine .so the tires were off the rack.No lose nothing that we found.
.bushings all good .steering rack is tight and not worn.
Confused myself.
Thanks
What lift kit do you have?

Perhaps you should call the manufacturer of the lift kit and ask them if they have allignment specs?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #10

steve r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What lift kit do you have?

Perhaps you should call the manufacturer of the lift kit and ask them if they have allignment specs?
fabtec .ill call them
Old 06-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #11

steve r's Tacoma Gallery
Well we took the wheels off today and found 1 wheel on right front a little out of balance .No more shimmy .
Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #12

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on finding the right fix!
Old 06-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #13

steve r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Congrats on finding the right fix!
The shop i took it to to ahve wheels done messed up .I took it to a buddys shop today and we went through it with a fine tooth comb.Found right front wheel off balance .IM glad
Old 06-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
that would have been the first thing I'd have looked at
Old 06-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #15

steve r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
that would have been the first thing I'd have looked at
I took itback to the original shop they said it was fine and i disagreed with them.i will never go back ther again.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #16
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I took itback to the original shop they said it was fine and i disagreed with them.i will never go back ther again.
Glad you got it figured out!!

I don't blame you for not going back. I wouldn't either!!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #17
dirtyz is on a distinguished road
dirtyz's Tacoma Gallery
I've got an 06 Tacoma that I installed a 3" lift on as well as 285 Toyo M/T's. Ever since I've had a little shimmy and slight bump steer while driving. Hub rings and shank style lug nuts took care of the shimmy, but I still have slight bump steer. Fabtech makes a dual steering stabilizer for our trucks - however only for 6" suspension lifted trucks. I bought it for my truck and found that for some reason my steering was being limited - called Fabtech they had no answer just that the kit is not designed for the 3" lift. Anyway, a kit does exist and I'm in the process now of modifying the spacing of the brackets along with getting new stabilizer shocks to be able to make it work with the 3" lift! Next comes the UCA's to help get caster back!

http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/pd...on%20Sheet.pdf
Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
I have slight bumpsteer with my setup, it can be annoying sometimes. I am looking for a stabilizer but cannot find one yet.