1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

best rear setup

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by gupster88, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Jun 4, 2009 at 10:38 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    i have a 2006 double cab short bed tacoma. i have NOT had the tsb done to the leafs. i plan on getting some coilovers for the front, my question is the rear lift setup. i'm hung between just an aal or the ome dakar leaf pack. i know the dakars will sit much higher, but if its too high i can take out one of the leafs. i'm hesitant about the aal because of sagging. but i dont want to buy the dakars if i dont NEED them. i may haul a pop up camper, thats it. no offroading. figured i'd see what the opinion is on here, i did some searching but didn't really find a definite answer.

2. Jun 5, 2009 at 5:46 AM
    TacoTycoon

TacoTycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4WD Indigo Ink
    Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, Diff Drop Kit, TSB AAL, 285/70/17 BFG A/T Tires, 17X8 Helo HE835 Wheels, Rear Bilstein 5100s, Dual Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, TRD Front Seat Covers, Rear Suspension TSB, 35% Tint, Redline Hood Struts, MagLite Mod
    well I would venture to say that replacement leaf packs are better than an aal because they are designed to provide lift, load capacity (or decrease with more flex). An aal forces your spring pack to a higher arch, hence providing more lift. With no offroading and just a pop up camper I say your best bang for buck would be an aal. But in the end you gotta get what makes ya happy, good luck bud! (and post pics when you get it lifted!)

3. Jun 5, 2009 at 5:56 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah..."best" is subjective- I'd say the Dakars are best...but I went with an AAL cause of cost. Might upgrade at some point in the future...

The AALs won't sag more than the normal springs really...So they'll work fine.

4. Jun 5, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    TacoTycoon

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, Diff Drop Kit, TSB AAL, 285/70/17 BFG A/T Tires, 17X8 Helo HE835 Wheels, Rear Bilstein 5100s, Dual Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, TRD Front Seat Covers, Rear Suspension TSB, 35% Tint, Redline Hood Struts, MagLite Mod
    yep, and all that said... I am getting an aal as well for when I put my lift together

5. Jun 5, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    ghostboy808

ghostboy808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver Mica Prerunner TRD Sport
    Gibson SS, TRD S/C
    correct me if I am wrong but adding an aal will increase load cap by 4-500lbs is what I was told. I think dakars will be rated same as stock so i don't think you will gain any load capacity.

6. Jun 5, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    gupster88

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    yeah i was ok with doing the aal but i'm a little hesitant with fear of it sagging. i have blocks in my rear now, and i do not want to have to put a small block in the rear because the aal's sagged. believe me if i only need the aal ill get it because it will save me lots of money which i can put toward my many other projects...muahahaha

7. Jun 6, 2009 at 3:36 AM
    gupster88

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    might i add this is a long term install. technically dakars are the best, but which is besst for me is what i have to consider. i just dont want to get the aal and it sag to a point lower than the blocks i have now, or they make the ride just as harsh as the blocks or they break and what not. but i dont want to get the dakars and never really earn the money i paid for them ya know. bleh i hate decisions

8. Jun 6, 2009 at 3:59 AM
    MiikeyD

MiikeyD The Green Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Upland, CA
    Vehicle:
    Green Prerunner DC 2.7L
    Suspension / Wheels / Tires 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ AAL 265/75/16 BFG A/T American Racing Baja Audio Alpine HU CDA-9886 Kicker DS650 Z-Edition 1000W Memphis M3 US Amps 4000W 2.5Farad Cap Lighting 6000K HID 2 Hella 500FF 2 Aux Bed Lights 2 Aux Driving Lights Performance Volant CAI Flomaster Super 44 Doug Thorley Long Tube headers (coming soon) NGK Iridium Sparkplugs Accessories Scanguage II Cobra LTD27-NW with 3' Firestik Radio Shack Triple Trunking Scanner Harbor Freight Hi-Lift Cosmetics Flat Black Bumper Trim Flat Black Grill Surrounding with Satoshi Clear Corners Future Modifications (not specific) Longtravel w/ king shocks or fox Caged bed Shackles rear suspension. Fox / king shocks custom front bumper Custom Glassworks extreme kit for 01-04 (only have hood and passenger side.. need driver panel) Supercharger + 8port intake manifold optima yellow top battery remounted new rims caged interior rear bench removal 4 sparc
    whats the best rear setup for going offroading. whats the advantage/disadvantage of a shackle lift? the dude where i got my truck done said they would remove the AAL's and put shackles instead. My mind went dumb from there. can someone explain? tx

9. Jun 8, 2009 at 8:37 AM
    TacoTycoon

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    ^EDIT: Did not read that you had a 1st Gen.

Products Discussed in

To Top