LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Shock Help

Old 06-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Bre2tSco2t is on a distinguished road

Bre2tSco2t's Tacoma Gallery
Shock Help

I have read a lot in this forum, but I canít find exactly what applies to me.

I have a 2004 DC 2WD Prerunner Limitied with TRD Offroad Package and Less than 60,000 miles. This Offroad package includes the Tokico shocks all the way around the truck. I have visually confirmed that these are still on the truck.

Also, I do not have the half inch lean on the front drivers side. Not sure if this applies to my model, or it were fixed by previous owner. Also, the front is about one inch lower than the back, which I happen to like.

I do not do any off roading or trail riding. I mostly use this as a daily commuter, I do occasionally pull a small trailer. I do plan to take this truck cross country and do some camping.

The ride is not bad, I love the truck. What I want to know is can I make the ride just a little better (I have heard it described as a more gentlemanís ride) by replacing the shocks?

If so, which shocks? I know Bilsteins 5100 are very popular, and I would agree. But which ones? I get more confused looking at Bilsteins website. I have also looked at toytechlifts.com and downsouthmotorsports.com website. And they seem to differ on the application and talk about lifting and such.

Here are more of my questions. and thoughts. I do not want to lift my truck. I would like to keep the lower front, Not level the ride if I can. Also on the front shocks, should I replace the coil over springs? If so, what should I get and where?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you are happy with the ride, but looking for something that gives a little more control, get the 5100's for your tuck. No need to replace the springs if they are still working well.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If you are happy with the ride, but looking for something that gives a little more control, get the 5100's for your tuck. No need to replace the springs if they are still working well.

Well summed up. That is exactly what I am looking for. But which ones? They seem to be different models on the two websites, or am I just not understanding their description?
Old 06-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bre2tSco2t View Post
Well summed up. That is exactly what I am looking for. But which ones? They seem to be different models on the two websites, or am I just not understanding their description?
The 5100's should be an OEM replacement for your truck....Look for your year.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
I didn't see them on the ToyTec site for your '04.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #7

Quote:
The 5100's should be an OEM replacement for your truck....Look for your year.

Chris, I donít mean to be a pain. According to this page, http://www.bilstein.com/suvs_5100.php There is no 2004 year, only 2005 and greater.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post

This page I found. What concerns me is that these are built to level out my truck. Do you know if this is optional?
Old 06-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Chris, I donít mean to be a pain. According to this page, http://www.bilstein.com/suvs_5100.php There is no 2004 year, only 2005 and greater.
Your not being a "pain" at all.....We're here to help.
Here ya go:
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/9504tacoadjbils.htm
Old 06-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #10

Quote:
This page I found. What concerns me is that these are built to level out my truck. Do you know if this is optional?
They can be used to level, or be used at stock height. Just set them at the lowest setting, and you are golden.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Optional...yes.There are 4 settings.The first(bottom)setting is stock height.2nd is .85.3rd is 1.75.4th is 2.5.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #12

Quote:
They can be used to level, or be used at stock height. Just set them at the lowest setting, and you are golden.
Drats..Beat me to it. Typing skills...Fail.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
Drats..Beat me to it. Typing skills...Fail.
No no....You posted good info I left out.
Thanks, Rich!
Old 06-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #14

Thanks guys, this is what I was looking for. Just needed a little confirmation that I was understanding this stuff, before I plunk down the dough. Suspension stuff is way outside my understanding.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks guys, this is what I was looking for. Just needed a little confirmation that I was understanding this stuff, before I plunk down the dough. Suspension stuff is way outside my understanding.
haha yeah,Till I started reading up in this forum it was over my head as well. .
Old 06-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #16

BTW, Any idea why I do not have the driverís side lean that seems to be on all others? Was I lucky, or more likely the previous owner did this mod? Any way for me to look and see if this mod is in place?
Old 06-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #17

Quote:
BTW, Any idea why I do not have the driverís side lean that seems to be on all others? Was I lucky, or more likely the previous owner did this mod? Any way for me to look and see if this mod is in place?
Most trucks with the stock springs dont lean....Mostly just the ones in which the springs were replaced.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Most trucks with the stock springs dont lean....Mostly just the ones in which the springs were replaced.

That's good to know and remember, should I ever have the springs replaced. Thanks Chris.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #19

Quote:
That's good to know and remember, should I ever have the springs replaced. Thanks Chris.
Anytime, Buddy.