Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear Diff Lock...??

Old 06-07-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
KR FAB
sandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Amir
sandman427's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Rear Diff Lock...??

Ay guys I'm thinking about getting that rear diff lock for the truck... But my only problem is I'm not really sure what its general purpose is...??? I hear it helps but i really haven't come across a straight answer of what it is...?? If y'all could help me it would be coo also if there really is a need for it..??
Old 06-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman427 View Post
Ay guys I'm thinking about getting that rear diff lock for the truck... But my only problem is I'm not really sure what its general purpose is...??? I hear it helps but i really haven't come across a straight answer of what it is...?? If y'all could help me it would be coo also if there really is a need for it..??
Essentially it doesn't allow either wheel to spin while the other remains stationary. Locks out the differential action and makes it like an ATV axle. Ehh it's nice to have but probably not worth the cost to put one on. How much are you spending to have this installed by the way? I can tell you from my own experience with my truck that it is only usable at low speeds as it states on the door that you should only operate it at speeds around 5mph. It's definitely not 4wheel drive but I its the next best thing.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
KR FAB
sandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

haven't really checked yet to be honest... i just wanted to know first if it was gonna be useful or necessary before i went out and looked but it looks like that for me at least it might not be that necessary.... you think it would be useful or necessary to have if i lets say go to pismo with it..??
Old 06-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haven't really checked yet to be honest... i just wanted to know first if it was gonna be useful or necessary before i went out and looked but it looks like that for me at least it might not be that necessary.... you think it would be useful or necessary to have if i lets say go to pismo with it..??
Sure, it would be useful at pismo. Proper tire pressure would be the necessary part considering that kind of driving. It's up to you man but I think a nice set of All Terrain or Mud Terrain tires at the right air pressure will get you nearly the same performance.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:18 AM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You want to get it but don't know what it does?

Maybe I'm off base here, but if you needed it, wouldn't you know?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
KR FAB

very true... thats why i asked... a lot of people have been telling me the general purpose but really haven't got a straight answer... but your right tho... i guess Im just trying to find it what it is then really buying it you know.... cuz if Im getting this right its like an LSD or am I completely off...???
Old 06-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Why is this in the suspension forum?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
very true... thats why i asked... a lot of people have been telling me the general purpose but really haven't got a straight answer... but your right tho... i guess Im just trying to find it what it is then really buying it you know.... cuz if Im getting this right its like an LSD or am I completely off...???
A rear diff lock locks the rear axle. A LSD is a Limited Slip Differential. The rear diff lock is manually activated and the LSD automatcially engages and disengages. The rear diff lock can only be engaged in 4LO (unless you mod the electrical system). The LSD operates in any condition: ie, rain, snow, 2WD-4LO.

So yes, the LSD is similar to the rear diff lock in what it does. The conditions in which they operate are the main differences.

If you are doing a lot of crawling or slow approach 4WD, then I would suggest a locker. If you are doing a lot of mudding, or faster paced 4WD, then I would suggest a LSD.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
In a limited slip differential (LSD) there are friction plates/springs/stuff to encourage both wheels to turn at the same rate, but as the axle shafts on either side of the differential are not mechanically bound to one another they do have the ability to turn at different rates.

An electronic locker like what comes with the TRD Offroad package can be turned on and off. Off = open differential. On = true locked differential, which functions the same as a spool. Spools have no spider gears -- the ring gear drives a simple shaft into which the two axles shafts are inserted. Virtually unbreakable offroad but terrible on dry pavement.

Standard lockers (Detroit, for instance) try to balance offroad and onroad performance in an automated fashion by locking and unlocking based on the forces exerting the most leverage on the differential. If the driveline is applying power (acceleration), the locker engages and the differential locks solid. If the ground is applying power (coasting), the teeth disengage and the differential opens. The trick with this is to know how and when things will lock up and anticipate it or your vehicle will do some weird things. Basically, let off the gas around turns and apply power once you're straight and things will be fine.

If you're stuck offroad and have 1 wheel off the ground, the limited slip will work the same as an open differential and allows the wheel without traction to spin while the wheel with all the traction just sits there. With a locker you'd have both wheels spinning so you'd be more likely either to get unstuck or dig yourself deeper.

There are tricks you can play by applying the brakes with the gas with a LSD to make it act more like a locker, but it will never get the same performance as a true locker.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, so I essentially reposted from 98tacoma27.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Ok, so I essentially reposted from 98tacoma27.
Yes, but it was much more eloquent. It made me cry it was so beautiful.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #15
BorderTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Al
BorderTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2007 SR5 Pre Runner 2WD open diff and I want to get a locke (not E or ARB)r. What would be the best for the money with the best performance. My off roading will be minimal but I want something easy and reliable. Thanks
Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 AM   #16
Sparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Sparky4.0's Tacoma Gallery
look into lunchbox lockers then
Old 04-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #17
BorderTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Al
BorderTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Any Suggestions? Aussie? Thanks
Old 04-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #18
Hunter423
Hunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant future

Name: hunter
Hunter423's Tacoma Gallery
iv got 4x4 with the rear locker i love it i off road lot and its def come in handy alot especially on harder trials
Old 04-20-2010, 07:06 AM   #19
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
e-locker.. great write up on the install here: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showpost....0&postcount=20
Old 04-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #20
TacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to behold
Name: Joshua
TacoOwner?'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzimm001 View Post
Essentially it doesn't allow either wheel to spin while the other remains stationary. Locks out the differential action and makes it like an ATV axle. Ehh it's nice to have but probably not worth the cost to put one on. How much are you spending to have this installed by the way? I can tell you from my own experience with my truck that it is only usable at low speeds as it states on the door that you should only operate it at speeds around 5mph. It's definitely not 4wheel drive but I its the next best thing.
I disagree, a locker is worth it. Depending on what the intentions are with the truck. Also the reason the doors tells you that you can only operate it at slow speeds is because you are in 4lo and they dont want you to blow the tranny. With the locker mod you can run it in 2hi 4hi 4lo and you can go over 5mph. I would not recommend driving on pavement/hard surfaces or turning on those surfaces when locked.

Josh