Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New leaf pack vs. Air bags vs. something else

Old 06-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
cntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
New leaf pack vs. Air bags vs. something else

I've searched the forums but can't seem to find a good answer to my situation. I tow and haul some mildly heavy loads about once a month and will be towing a pop-up camper this summer. I have already installed the Toytec ultimate lift. This gave me a 2-2.5" AAL for the rear. The springs have settled a little and now when I tow my trailer with 2500-3500lbs., I have a pretty severe nose-up position, enough that steering is noticeably worse. I do take this truck offroad and I have a camper shell. So.....after reading numerous threads I think I've come to the conclusion that a heavier duty rear spring pack might be the way to go, (possibly with valved shocks?). From what I've read, air bags could limit my rear wheel travel and I don't really like the Timbren idea. Am I thinking this through correctly? I like the adjustability of the air bags but I don't want to lose off road performance. Any ideas on what spring packs would work? Should I get shocks that are adjustable? Ride quality isn't a huge factor and I have about a month and a half to make a decision. Let me know if I'm missing something or if I'm unclear with my question! Thanks
Old 06-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Why not air shocks? They are adjustable. You won't lose the rear wheel travel.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
cntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Why not air shocks? They are adjustable. You won't lose the rear wheel travel.
I'm not sure what an air shock is. Is it just a valved shock? Or do you actually adjust it with compressed air? Any examples?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Example
Old 06-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #5

cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
^ ^ ^ ^
Thanks, that one is for GMC's and Chevy's but I'll keep looking to see if there is one that fits my application (fits tacomas with a lift). That looks like it would work though.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
kris219 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kris
kris219's Tacoma Gallery
does anyone have these air shocks installed? do they give lift as well as the towing ability?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
JonnyReb will become famous soon enough
JonnyReb's Tacoma Gallery
I hope someone comes back with a positive review on these as i've been considering them also. J.C. whitney has a PAIR of them by gabriel for $70.00 and they are supposed to increase carrying capacity by 1000lbs. If it will do 1/2 that it would be worth it to me.

An online review on the J.C. site said they could be used with no pressure on them for empty beds and pumped up to 200psi for the heaviest loads.

Apparently, you can route the two shocks together with a 1/4" hose with a yoke, airing up a single schraeder valve distributes equal pressure. If they will hold up then surely they will help?

J
Old 06-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
kris219 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kris
kris219's Tacoma Gallery
id be worried about leaks.