Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Which UCA is better..??

View Poll Results: Which UCA do you Like and Why..??
Total Chaos 281 54.99%
Donahoe (icon) 63 12.33%
Camburg 129 25.24%
stock 38 7.44%
Voters: 511. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #241
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog View Post
Your drunk...go home
Nope not drunk one bit, go play with your uniballs
Old 08-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #243
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
No, one person had one break and people flipped out and have been trashing them ever since.

I personally don't run then, but if I wanted to do a basic lift using say an OME kit I wouldn't have any problem buying a set at all.

Out of the thousands and thousands sold and people are now bashing them because theres a pic of one broke, this is just retarded to me. These were meant to replace the factory arms and offer adjustability, not to catch air on or used to blast to through the desert with. You want to do that, spend the couple hundred extra bucks and buy a set intended more for this type of abuse. This just seems like common like sense to me
Old 08-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #244
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
I personally don't run then, but if I wanted to do a basic lift using say an OME kit I wouldn't have any problem buying a set at all.

Out of the thousands and thousands sold and people are now bashing them because theres a pic of one broke, this is just retarded to me. These were meant to replace the factory arms and offer adjustability, not to catch air on or used to blast to through the desert with. You want to do that, spend the couple hundred extra bucks and buy a set intended more for this type of abuse. This just seems like common like sense to me
mine have been used and abused for about 4 years now. been in the air and on the rocks. it's all about the pre and post wheeling check, to ensure your safety. that goes for even the highest quality race part. I'm religous with mine, but it seems like there are very few people who do them, and even fewer who do them with enough detail. it involves more than just crawling under your truck and looking around.

the unfortunate truth is that there are defects every now and then that you just can't catch before they go out the door.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #245
68vert is on a distinguished road

68vert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxscott View Post
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122323

For more info on our ball-joint arms check out this TTORA post from 01/21/2009 ....

- Scott @ Camburg

Okay Scott, you posted it on TTORA which I'm not a member of. And I do see your point that it states "OEM". I and some others are wrong to assume that all BJ's manufacturers are compatible, and was not informed enough to reuse our factory BJ's from the original arms. I'll man up to that.

I measured the Moog BJ's and the UCA cups prior to contacting Camburg.
My original point is that there was no useful customer support when I needed it, and that you guys just blast people in the industry as well as your customers after the fact and steer them towards other options.

Hey, thanks for another wonderful experience chatting with you guys now that I dont need the info anymore. ha, ha, ha...........
Old 08-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #246
motoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Scott
motoxscott's Tacoma Gallery
http://youtu.be/jpORZdXRGig

Totally un-related to upper arms ... check out our latest video.

- Scott
Old 09-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #247
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://youtu.be/jpORZdXRGig

Totally un-related to upper arms ... check out our latest video.

- Scott
Nice
Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #249
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
Name: snicklefritz
deog's Tacoma Gallery
My question is for motoscott.
Do you make a UCA for first gen tacomas and 4runners that utilizes the OEM balljoint, or is this only for later generations ?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #250
motoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotoxscott is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by deog View Post
My question is for motoscott.
Do you make a UCA for first gen tacomas and 4runners that utilizes the OEM balljoint, or is this only for later generations ?
The very first arms we built back in 1997-1999 used the factory ball-joint in the spindle. When we developed arms using 1" uniballs instead because they are stronger and have more mis-alignment to allow for more wheel travel we phased the BJ versions out.

The reason we offer B/J arms for the newer stuff is when Toyota redesigned the front suspension they also changed the B/J to something much larger and stronger that allows for more movement.

- Scott @ Camburg
Old 09-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #251
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
deog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The very first arms we built back in 1997-1999 used the factory ball-joint in the spindle. When we developed arms using 1" uniballs instead because they are stronger and have more mis-alignment to allow for more wheel travel we phased the BJ versions out.

The reason we offer B/J arms for the newer stuff is when Toyota redesigned the front suspension they also changed the B/J to something much larger and stronger that allows for more movement.

- Scott @ Camburg

excellent explanation, thank you. appreciate your answering my question.

Your arms, are they 4130 and mig welded ?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #252
Quote:
Your arms, are they 4130 and mig welded ?
Yep, they are MIG welded and we use US 4130 chromoly tubing, not cheap import tubing from India, etc. that some other companies use.

- Scott
Old 09-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #253
deog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
not cheap import tubing from India, etc. that some other companies use.

- Scott
care to elaborate ??
Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #254
Quote:
care to elaborate ??
Many shops out there are cutting costs by using lower grade, lower quality tubing that's imported in. You can easily tell by the printing that is on the tubing itself to know what company and mill it came from.

My suggestion is to know what you're buying, that's all.

- Scott
Old 12-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #255
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
So what's the difference in travel between the 1.25 uni ball arms compared to the ball joint arms? I'm very much leaning towards the b.j. arms for my build. What ball joints do you recommend, Scott, for install in your arms? Part number or manufacturers, no endorsement, just long term durability.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #256
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bump for Scott, see above.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #257
Sorry haven't logged in for a while.

Wheel travel will be the same between the two arms with most off-the-shelf coilovers. The 1.25" uniball has the ability to have more wheel travel since it has more movement/mis-alignment if the coilover allows for it.

As far as ball-joints go we recommend the OEM Toyota ball-joint. That's what the arm was designed around using. Their are aftermarket versions available but the quality of them is much lower compared to the Toyota part and their quality control is also not as good. Many times the aftermarket versions do not press into our arms correctly without modifying them slightly because the body of the ball-joint is larger in diameter many times.

- Scott @ Camburg
Old 12-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #258

Thanks Scott. Those where the answers I was looking for. My stock ball joints have just under 50k miles on them, suitable for install into new arms?
Old 12-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #259
I don't see that being a problem. If the boots are in good shape and their is no play in them ... run them.

Down the road when it comes time to replace them, track down some OEM ball-joint take off's or if in a pinch you can get MOOG versions and if they measure too big in diameter you can chuck them up in a lathe real quick and shave off .005" +/- to the OEM dimensions so they press in correctly.

- Scott @ Camburg
Old 12-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #260

Thanks Scott. Good info passed along there. I appreciate that. New light in the build process.