Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

too much lift in the rear?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
too much lift in the rear?

I've been researching my lift for some time now and it looks like I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger. Just a little bit of backround, most of my driving will be on road in miami, but I do spend alot of time on our hunting lease so off road use will be moderate. I thinking about the toytec ultimate lift up front, but I'm alittle worried about an AAL in the rear. I dont want my truck to sit completly level because as soon as I put a generator in it or anything else, I'll be be front high. I like the rake it has now just fine, and wouldn't mind keeping it. So the other option I was able to find was the dakar leaf pack. It lifts 2.75" but will that much of a lift in the rear increase my chances of getting vibes?? Is my theory correct that this leaf pack is better suited for me if I like a little rake and no sag? Like I said, I am really trying to keep on road drive quality as high as posible, these trucks stock can probably do more than I will ever put it through.

BTW, I plan on going with 285/65/R18 as of right now (it changes all the time) to hopefully negate or minimize any rubbing issues.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
here's a pic of mine w/ 3" in the front and a 3" leaf pack in the back

Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
djs05tacoma will become famous soon enough

djs05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
You can always take out one of the leafs on the dakar to give it a litte less lift if you end up with a driveline vibration.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i ended up w/ vibes on mine, but installed the toytec shims and its gone
Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
What do you mean by 3" leaf pack? Was it just an addition to the stock leafs to add 3" of overall lift or is it something closer to a AAL that gives you 3"?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
here's a pic of mine w/ 3" in the front and a 3" leaf pack in the back

That looks really nice!! I have a 2" AAL in the rear but the 3" looks pretty darn good! I notice sometimes to that when I'm parked in certain places, it looks like it rakes a little bit. Hey jhodge, what would I need to do to get a 3" in the back?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
What do you mean by 3" leaf pack? Was it just an addition to the stock leafs to add 3" of overall lift or is it something closer to a AAL that gives you 3"?
it was a seperate leaf pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
That looks really nice!! I have a 2" AAL in the rear but the 3" looks pretty darn good! I notice sometimes to that when I'm parked in certain places, it looks like it rakes a little bit. Hey jhodge, what would I need to do to get a 3" in the back?
u'd have to go 1" block, re-angle the AAL, or get a different setup, (ie 3 leaf AAL from wheelers or a new complete pack) and thats it i think
Old 06-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
it was a seperate leaf pack

u'd have to go 1" block, re-angle the AAL, or get a different setup, (ie 3 leaf AAL from wheelers or a new complete pack) and thats it i think
Oh okay, got yah. So its not bad to have a 2" AAL and add a 1" block?
Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Oh okay, got yah. So its not bad to have a 2" AAL and add a 1" block?
if u dont OR too much, u'll be ok. prolly need to get the toytec shims cuz when ppl get around 3" in the rear they start getting the driveline vibes
Old 06-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
if u dont OR too much, u'll be ok. prolly need to get the toytec shims cuz when ppl get around 3" in the rear they start getting the driveline vibes
i have driveline vibes at 2.5" at 0-7mph and 18-25mph. i have the carrier bearing drop and waiting for some shims to come in.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2150 View Post
i have driveline vibes at 2.5" at 0-7mph and 18-25mph. i have the carrier bearing drop and waiting for some shims to come in.
i've never done the CB drop, but both times i've had 3" in the rear and the shims have fixed it up
Old 06-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #12
REVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant future

REVHARD25's Tacoma Gallery
i have tacoma envy for jhodges nice dc. sweet looking ride
Old 06-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVHARD25 View Post
i have tacoma envy for jhodges nice dc. sweet looking ride

thats ok...i'm contemplating making mine look more like urs w/ blacked out flares and the bodyline down covered in bedliner

thx BTW...lol
Old 06-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Here's mint with the exact kit you mentioned on 17" moto metal 955's with mickey thompson 285-70-17 MTZ's. I got toytec's AAL with the TSB and then got the TSB done on the truck. Back is just slightly higher. Hard to tell in pics though. Man, you'll love this kit. Off road is as good as on road.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #15
iKill

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
Here's mint with the exact kit you mentioned on 17" moto metal 955's with mickey thompson 285-70-17 MTZ's. I got toytec's AAL with the TSB and then got the TSB done on the truck. Back is just slightly higher. Hard to tell in pics though. Man, you'll love this kit. Off road is as good as on road.

Thanks, I've seen some of you other posts while doing my research and have always wondered what you had in the rear. A little off topic, but how was your handling affected by switching to 285's? Road noise?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #16
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Obviously by looking at the tread pattern you have some road noise, but not much. You can still carry on a conversation with a passenger or talk on your cell with out ANY problems. I am really pleased with these tires. You can't hear them coming down the street like others, but you feel like you are driving something tough that can go through anything. Handling did not really change at all.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #17
iKill

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
I called toytec yesterday to see if I ordered an ultimate lift kit from them, they would swap out the AAl for the Dakar leaf pack and adjust the price (similar to what they do with the OME kit). They said sure, but then the gentleman I was talking to mentioned that the Dakar leaf pack gave a 3.5" lift. I asked him to say it again, making sure I didn't understand him, and sure enough he said 3.5" lift with 8 leafs. I'm pretty sure the Dakar's are 8 leafs, but aren't they only 2.75"? Maybe he just had his specs a little confused? Anyone know of an update to the dakar springs or if the ones toytec carries are any different from the ones you can get anywhere else? I'd hate to order one thing and get something completley different.