Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

09 Tacoma Lift suggestions???

Old 06-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
09 Tacoma Lift suggestions???

Hello all! Just in the process of buying a new 09 Tacoma! Can't wait, its a
4x4 doublecab with the TRD and Sport package in magnetic grey! So excited!!!

Anyways, I'm planning on putting a small lift and new tires and wheels on it
right away. My last truck was a full size F150 that was lifted with 35's - it felt really big to drive and was a pain in the butt to park. I want to get away from the 'big azz truck' feeling, so decided on the Tacoma.

So, I'm looking for a good quality way to lift my truck. I'd like to fit 32" or 33" Nitto Grapplers with either 17" or 18" black XD wheels.

What setup do you guys recommend? My truck will mostly be driven on road, but I want it to be setup right so I don't mind paying a bit more for quality components. I do not want a crappy ride with tires rubbing whenever I turn.

I've been reading quite a bit and have ruled out spacers. But from here, I'm not sure where to go. Help?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
go with some fox coilovers set to 3" and an aal in the rear, to run 33's you will need to trim a little in the front, or you can go with a pro comp 6" lift. depends on how high you want to be, and congrat's on the new ride.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Right on, thanx for the info. I would like to stay around 2.5" - 3" max. I guess the minimum amount of lift to fit 32" or 33" tires.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
3" will run 33's and stock will run 32's
Old 06-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
Get some Icon Coilovers for the front and set them at 2.5" of lift. For the rear go with bilstein 5100 shocks and a 3-leaf add-a-leaf (Deavers or Icon). Go with 265/70/17 (32") Nittos with 17" wheels. That is a quality setup, it will ride like a cadilac. The suspension will run you around $1200 for everything. If you want to step it up a bit get some total chaos upper control arms as well ($650).

This is what my truck looked like with a 2.5" lift in the front and add-a-leaf in the rear. I was running 265/75/16 (32") nittos on 16" wheels. Its a perfect setup and you dont have to worry about rubbing.

Here is how she sits now with the icons set at 3"s and 285/75/16 (33") tires. She rubbed like CRAZY! I even had to cut my frame a bit.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Taco love in East Van

DTRUJ, thanx for the info! You have one sick ass truck man!!! If I'm not really planning to offroad (maybe 5% of the time), would you still recommend this setup?
I've been doing some reading on Icon and everyone who has them seem to really like them.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
I went with Toytec Ultimate lift kit and truly love it. Replaced UCA's with LR UCA's and have no regrets with them either. Running 285-70-17 Mickey Thompson MTZ's on Moto Metal 955's. Truck runs off road as well as on road. Looks better in person than the pics show as well.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianboy View Post
DTRUJ, thanx for the info! You have one sick ass truck man!!! If I'm not really planning to offroad (maybe 5% of the time), would you still recommend this setup?
I've been doing some reading on Icon and everyone who has them seem to really like them.
I still do recommend that setup. Save your money and do it right the first time. Icon, Fox, Camburg, or Sway-a-Away are all high quality coil overs. It will provide your with a lift and give you a better ride than stock, both on and off road. When I first got my truck, i lifted it using adjustable bilstein 5100s in the front, after that I upgraded to Toytec coil overs, finally I got the remote resivor icons. It was a night and day difference between the icons and the rest. I wish I would have gone with the icons in the first place. The toytecs rode like shit, and not to mention you can't adjust them on the truck. Any of those high quality coilovers that I mentioned will run you about $900, the rear 5100s will run around $150, and the 3-pack add-a-leaf around $150. Save your pennies and do it right the first time around.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front
imsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: VMFA-314 F/A-18 Fighter Jet Plane Captain and Mech.
Name: Randy
imsikotic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrujillo63 View Post
I still do recommend that setup. Save your money and do it right the first time. Icon, Fox, Camburg, or Sway-a-Away are all high quality coil overs. It will provide your with a lift and give you a better ride than stock, both on and off road. When I first got my truck, i lifted it using adjustable bilstein 5100s in the front, after that I upgraded to Toytec coil overs, finally I got the remote resivor icons. It was a night and day difference between the icons and the rest. I wish I would have gone with the icons in the first place. The toytecs rode like shit, and not to mention you can't adjust them on the truck. Any of those high quality coilovers that I mentioned will run you about $900, the rear 5100s will run around $150, and the 3-pack add-a-leaf around $150. Save your pennies and do it right the first time around.

Im with him^^^ on this.. Do it right the first and you can never be dissapointed.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Well, not sure which Toytec lift you had but my kit practically rides like factory and I have heard very few other people here complaining about them. As far as not being able to adjusting the CO's on the truck, not sure where you are coming from again, cause I have not had a problem adjusting mine. Don't just take one persons advice bro, do your homework and see what others have to say. Icons are definately good, but for somebody to say Toytec is crap just because they didn't like them is stupid, they would not be doing as mutch business if that were true and have as favorable feedback.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #11

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, I'm running 285-70-17's and hardly rub at all. Only time they rub is in reverse for some reason. Trimmed the fender well plastic and have not heard it since then.I sure as hell would not reccomend trimming your frame if your tires were rubbing.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
Well, not sure which Toytec lift you had but my kit practically rides like factory and I have heard very few other people here complaining about them. As far as not being able to adjusting the CO's on the truck, not sure where you are coming from again, cause I have not had a problem adjusting mine. Don't just take one persons advice bro, do your homework and see what others have to say. Icons are definately good, but for somebody to say Toytec is crap just because they didn't like them is stupid, they would not be doing as mutch business if that were true and have as favorable feedback.
When did I say Toytec is crap? I said that MY toytecs rode like shit, and I didn't say that because I don't like them (I actually do), mine happen to ride like shit that's all. I had their only coil over for the tacoma. Talk to many other members on this board and they will tell you that toytecs are NOT true coil overs. Its billy 5100s, an after market spring, and a fabricated adjuster body that sits over the 5100. Anytime I wanted to adjust my toytec coil overs, I had to remove them from the truck and put them on a spring compressor, just like many other members on this board. Call and ask toytec and they will tell you that it takes ALOT to adjust the coil overs.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:48 AM   #13

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
You must not have had their Ultimate kit then. Man it does ride sweet and no problem adjusting either. Which kit did you have and how long ago was it? Thats probably where the problem was.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #14
vwguy60 is a jewel in the roughvwguy60 is a jewel in the roughvwguy60 is a jewel in the roughvwguy60 is a jewel in the rough
vwguy60's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When did I say Toytec is crap? I said that MY toytecs rode like shit, and I didn't say that because I don't like them (I actually do), mine happen to ride like shit that's all. I had their only coil over for the tacoma. Talk to many other members on this board and they will tell you that toytecs are NOT true coil overs. Its billy 5100s, an after market spring, and a fabricated adjuster body that sits over the 5100. Anytime I wanted to adjust my toytec coil overs, I had to remove them from the truck and put them on a spring compressor, just like many other members on this board. Call and ask toytec and they will tell you that it takes ALOT to adjust the coil overs.
Did you call or email Toytec at the time you had them? The only way I can see it riding like crap is either they were adjusted with too much preload or something was defective in the shock, they are only 5100s....

I have them too and I think they ride really nice. As far as your statement about a "true coil over". It does not make sense because your stock toyota "coil spring over shock" which is full term was a "true coil over". Just wanted to clarify, I am not trying to be a smart ass or anything.

But one think I agree with you one is I did not see it as a Icon or SAW coil over. It is an adaptation of machined parts to a 5100 shock to make an "adjustable coil over". To me, I saw that as a benefit. While all the others are rebuildable and revalveable, for my mainly street application I can just replace them. Much easier since I do my own work and also have a family to attend too. It is still offroadable enough for me and it does have it's benefits. As far as the difficulty for adjusting them, they should have either made the threads finer and hard anodized them so they do not stick together. Aluminum on aluminum threads are not a great choice, hard anodizing and a better thread design will make it way better.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #15
vwguy60 is a jewel in the roughvwguy60 is a jewel in the roughvwguy60 is a jewel in the roughvwguy60 is a jewel in the rough
vwguy60's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianboy View Post
Hello all! Just in the process of buying a new 09 Tacoma! Can't wait, its a
4x4 doublecab with the TRD and Sport package in magnetic grey! So excited!!!

Anyways, I'm planning on putting a small lift and new tires and wheels on it
right away. My last truck was a full size F150 that was lifted with 35's - it felt really big to drive and was a pain in the butt to park. I want to get away from the 'big azz truck' feeling, so decided on the Tacoma.

So, I'm looking for a good quality way to lift my truck. I'd like to fit 32" or 33" Nitto Grapplers with either 17" or 18" black XD wheels.

What setup do you guys recommend? My truck will mostly be driven on road, but I want it to be setup right so I don't mind paying a bit more for quality components. I do not want a crappy ride with tires rubbing whenever I turn.

I've been reading quite a bit and have ruled out spacers. But from here, I'm not sure where to go. Help?
Sorry, I got side tracked and strayed from the original post.... the pics I posted are my 2009 Magnetic Grey TRD Sport. It has a Toytec 3" Ultimate Kit and 285"-70-17" Nitto TGs. It will give you an idea when you do your truck since it is the same year/model and color. Get some UCAs if you go 3", I did not originally and mine wandered on my freeway commute to work. After I put them on, it has been a night and day difference!
Old 06-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
You must not have had their Ultimate kit then. Man it does ride sweet and no problem adjusting either. Which kit did you have and how long ago was it? Thats probably where the problem was.
Their Ultimate kit is just that, a kit. Within that kit they include the toytec coil overs that we are talking about. I wheel my shit hard and those toytecs made it seem like I was riding on spacers. If you think the toytecs ride sweet, take a ride on a taco with quality coil overs, I think your opinion will change.

I'm just trying to give the OP my feedback, I've experienced toytecs, icons, foxes, and camburg. Frankly, the toytecs can't compare to any of those mentioned. if you are already spending the $800 for toytecs, save the extra hundred and get yourself a nicer pair of coil overs. If you are on a budget, go with an OME setup.

I'm sorry if you guys don't agree with me, but that is my opinion.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #17
Taco love in East Van

Right on guys, thanx for the info. I think I may go for the icons, total chaos ucas and 5100's in the rear + 3 leaf. Sounds like this is a quality product and will maintain a good ride. I'm pretty set on the XD Monster wheels in matte black, but they only come in size 18's and up. Would a 285/65/r18 (32.5") or 275/65/r18 (32.1") or a 285/60/r18 (31.5") Nitto tire also work? If not, what do you suggest? I do not want to have a 'street truck' look, where the side wall looks really skinny compared to the big rims. The more I look at tires, the more I'm getting confused with the sizing.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #18
FoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud of
Name: Kevin
FoxRacR17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Get some Icon Coilovers for the front and set them at 2.5" of lift. For the rear go with bilstein 5100 shocks and a 3-leaf add-a-leaf (Deavers or Icon). Go with 265/70/17 (32") Nittos with 17" wheels. That is a quality setup, it will ride like a cadilac. The suspension will run you around $1200 for everything. If you want to step it up a bit get some total chaos upper control arms as well ($650).

This is what my truck looked like with a 2.5" lift in the front and add-a-leaf in the rear. I was running 265/75/16 (32") nittos on 16" wheels. Its a perfect setup and you dont have to worry about rubbing.

Here is how she sits now with the icons set at 3"s and 285/75/16 (33") tires. She rubbed like CRAZY! I even had to cut my frame a bit.

Damn you got a nice truck. I have pretty much decided on the icons for my front c/o's, but why do yo suggest putting them at 2.5" as opposed to 3". Is just just because of the increased CV angles? Also since you owned alot of the coilovers available for the tacoma, what made you stay with the icons? I was reading that the icons have to be rebuilt more frequently, don't know if this is true though. How come you didnt stick with the fox coilovers? Those were my first choice, but since my truck is also white and i'm going to murder it out over time, I think the black of the icons would go well with that.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #19
Taco love in East Van

Bumpity bumpity
Old 06-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #20
Ranger08 will become famous soon enough
Ranger08's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 09 TRD and want the 3" lift also. What back spacing are you running on your truck jrobson for 285/70/17 tires? I like how your looks.