Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

3" lift cause CV boot or other damage on 4x4?

Old 06-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
mhagio is on a distinguished road
mhagio's Tacoma Gallery
3" lift cause CV boot or other damage on 4x4?

I have a Tacoma 4x4 double cab w/ TRD off road package. I wanted to put a 3" lift so I could fit some 285/70/17 KM2's

I was told by a couple of local shops (San Diego ORW and Truck shop which I think are reputable) that lifting my truck over 2.5" will damage my CV joints even with a diff drop.

This was caused due to the angle and the continued stress on the joints from the lift.

Is there anyone out that that has had a 3" lift for a while (i.e., 1-2yrs) that could tell me if you've had problems or not?

Thanks
Maurice
Old 06-13-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i had a 3" spacer on mine last year for a few months and then went to a 3" CO setup and have been running it since AND wheelng it a few times w/ no cv tears or problems. i am running the diff drop as well. lifted the truck at 1 week old and its coming on a year old
Old 06-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of people lift their trucks/tacomas.

Do you see many people complaining about CV boots / CV failures?

Sure, anything can happen and anything can break. If you abuse it, you'll definately damage something.

One word of caution to prevent damaged your CV joints - DO NOT make tight turns while in 4WD!!!!! I've seen guys blow out their CV joints because they crank the wheel & try to move at the same time. POP/BANG!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
If you go in mud or sand hose off the CV boots. 90% of the time a CV boot gets torn is because there is mud or sand between the folds which has been rubbing for some time.

Kinda like when I screw my fat sweaty wife on the beach. I always hose the sand out of her folds.... But, that's a different subject.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
hey big man lemme hold a dollar
TRD_yota_nc is on a distinguished road
TRD_yota_nc's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for that info man i didnt know that but thats good information
Old 06-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
mhagio is on a distinguished road
mhagio's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the advice. doesn't sound like people have had too much of an Issue with the 3" lift.

I'll have to remember your advice about hosing off... oh ya and my truck too.