Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Fireston Air bags - rear suspension

Old 06-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Boudreaux is on a distinguished road
Boudreaux's Tacoma Gallery
Fireston Air bags - rear suspension

I noticed there seem to be many off-road trucks here. SO, I asking for info from that group that use their Tacos for work around the yard.

I have, on occassion, loaded the little truck bed down pretty good, and have wondered....

Has anyone here applied some air bags or air suspension system between the rear suspension (springs) and the frame, in an attempt to help with heavy loads.

What system did you use...???
Where you happy with the system....???
Where did you purchase the system...???
Would you do it again, or have you found a better system...???

Old 06-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
socal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Diego
socal16's Tacoma Gallery
havent done but its on my list
Old 06-15-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
I thought about using air bags but decided to use hellwig 1500# helper springs on my '09. They don't change the factory ride with the truck unloaded but put any load on and they immediately start resisting the load. They really helped also when I hook up the boat to tow...makes the back end behave much nicer. Now when I get the 5100's on all four corners the truck will work like it's supposed to. The springs have started creaking very slightly but not bad at all. Probably the real right solution would be to do the add-a-leaf and someday I may decide to go that route. But I will do it because I don't take my truck to the stealership for anything.

I used the helper springs because I did not want to lift the back end any at all just to help with when the truck is loaded down or when towing and these springs do that fine. When I first installed I had the pre-load cranked down hard (they are adjustable) and the back end was lifted a couple of inches which made the shudder on takeoff start happening so I backed off the preload to where they just start working when loaded and the shudder went away. Eventually I am going to get a Tom Woods one-piece driveshaft to replace the stock setup which will eliminate the double cardan joint as one less thing to break. Supposedly that is the best solution for fixing driveline vibes when lifting the back end also.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
Jason07 is on a distinguished road
Jason07's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Air Lift helper bag kit on my truck and I love it. I bought the kit from Streetsideauto.com. They have the best price by far for the kit.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/produc...YMM&Reset=True

It is very easy to install and I have used it several times to even the load from hauling bags of concrete.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Try these out. They work great! http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/9504tacotimbren.htm