1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fireston Air bags - rear suspension

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Boudreaux, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Jun 14, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    Boudreaux

Boudreaux [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Church Point, LA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Limited (Barcelona Red)
    I noticed there seem to be many off-road trucks here. SO, I asking for info from that group that use their Tacos for work around the yard.

I have, on occassion, loaded the little truck bed down pretty good, and have wondered....

Has anyone here applied some air bags or air suspension system between the rear suspension (springs) and the frame, in an attempt to help with heavy loads.

What system did you use...???
    Where you happy with the system....???
    Where did you purchase the system...???
    Would you do it again, or have you found a better system...???

:)

2. Jun 14, 2009 at 9:03 PM
    socal16

socal16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    08 trd offroad black 4x4!!!
    wheels and tires, k&n cold air intake, limo tint,bhlm,TRD seatcovers, OME lift
    havent done but its on my list

3. Jun 15, 2009 at 5:13 AM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    I thought about using air bags but decided to use hellwig 1500# helper springs on my '09. They don't change the factory ride with the truck unloaded but put any load on and they immediately start resisting the load. They really helped also when I hook up the boat to tow...makes the back end behave much nicer. Now when I get the 5100's on all four corners the truck will work like it's supposed to. The springs have started creaking very slightly but not bad at all. Probably the real right solution would be to do the add-a-leaf and someday I may decide to go that route. But I will do it because I don't take my truck to the stealership for anything.

I used the helper springs because I did not want to lift the back end any at all just to help with when the truck is loaded down or when towing and these springs do that fine. When I first installed I had the pre-load cranked down hard (they are adjustable) and the back end was lifted a couple of inches which made the shudder on takeoff start happening so I backed off the preload to where they just start working when loaded and the shudder went away. Eventually I am going to get a Tom Woods one-piece driveshaft to replace the stock setup which will eliminate the double cardan joint as one less thing to break. Supposedly that is the best solution for fixing driveline vibes when lifting the back end also.

4. Jun 15, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    Jason07

Jason07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
  5. Jun 15, 2009 at 11:29 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name: