Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lift with VSC answer.....

Old 06-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
TRDnAZ is a jewel in the roughTRDnAZ is a jewel in the roughTRDnAZ is a jewel in the roughTRDnAZ is a jewel in the rough

TRDnAZ's Tacoma Gallery
Lift with VSC answer.....

OK, I was asking the same questions as everyone else regarding the "lift with VSC" question. I have a 07 TRD Off-Road 4X4 Sr5 with all the options including VSC.
I haven't lifted my Tacoma yet (financial reasons) but I noticed that the dealership that I bought my truck from was selling pre-lifted Tacoma's with everything from 3" Ready Lifts to 6" Pro-Comp's.
So of course I ask them about it. Of course they all played stupid. So I went to researching this issue. And found the attached "VSC Re-calibration Instructions". This answered the question for me. Hope it helps you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VCS Calibration .pdf (152.0 KB, 6925 views)
Old 06-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Good post!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
TRDnAZ is a jewel in the roughTRDnAZ is a jewel in the roughTRDnAZ is a jewel in the roughTRDnAZ is a jewel in the rough

TRDnAZ's Tacoma Gallery
No problem. I know I've found some really helpful info here from other members. Glad I could finally contribute.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
FoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud of
Name: Kevin
FoxRacR17's Tacoma Gallery
i'm going to be installing my 3" lift on my 09 tacoma tomorrow and it has VSC. Is this something that I need to have the dealership do to my truck?
Old 07-11-2009, 06:00 AM   #5

TRDnAZ's Tacoma Gallery
I would have to say yes if you what to be sure that your VSC is still working properly. I would have it done after the lift install and alignment.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
DaGMEN is on a distinguished road
DaGMEN's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone had this re-calibration done by their dealer? Any issues getting them to do it? I put about 500 miles on my newly installed toytec ultimate lift this past weekend and two different times while in the middle of a corner my vsc engaged and tried pulling me into the oncoming lanes. Anyone else have any issues with the vsc on the 09 with a lift?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
docuw is on a distinguished road

docuw's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, I didn't realize that we had to recalibrate this. Is this something that only the dealer does, or can someplace like Les Schwabs do it? Has anyone done this? How much $ did it cost?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by docuw View Post
Wow, I didn't realize that we had to recalibrate this. Is this something that only the dealer does, or can someplace like Les Schwabs do it? Has anyone done this? How much $ did it cost?
did you ever find an answer to your question? I just lifted my truck and, to my surprise, need to recalibrate this. Dont really wanna take it to the stealership.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #9

docuw's Tacoma Gallery
No answers yet... I put my lift on 2 weeks ago. I have noticed that the VSC kicks on pretty easy (cornering over bumps - starts beeping), but I think it did that before too. I haven't figured out if we need to do this or where to get it done...
Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by docuw View Post
No answers yet... I put my lift on 2 weeks ago. I have noticed that the VSC kicks on pretty easy (cornering over bumps - starts beeping), but I think it did that before too. I haven't figured out if we need to do this or where to get it done...
As I understand it, it needs to be done with any lift. I'm just trying to figure out where to get it.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
Hi
SO I talked to my toyota dealership today and they said it doesnt need to be done. Anybody know the REAL answer to the question?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
ritewayco is on a distinguished road
ritewayco's Tacoma Gallery
VSC recalibration

I am running into the same issue on my 2009 DC with my VSC kicking in during cornering. I have a 3 inche lift with 285/75/16 Procomp mudders. Has anybody done this recalibration routine and did it work? Will a dealer do the work, or does it have to be done by a third party mechanic/technician?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3" lift, 33's and have yet to have VSC kick in when I wouldn't expect it (never on road but then again, I haven't driven in the rain yet). Yaw'll pretty good about finding this stuff - GREAT JOB!!!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
gixxer73 has a spectacular aura aboutgixxer73 has a spectacular aura aboutgixxer73 has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: c-130J Mechanic
Name: darren
gixxer73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGMEN View Post
Has anyone had this re-calibration done by their dealer? Any issues getting them to do it? I put about 500 miles on my newly installed toytec ultimate lift this past weekend and two different times while in the middle of a corner my vsc engaged and tried pulling me into the oncoming lanes. Anyone else have any issues with the vsc on the 09 with a lift?

Hey mine does the exact same thing tries to pull my ass out of the turn and into a disel's fking grill in slight corners. Did u ever figure this calibration deal???

I think I have a fix but really not 100% sure of it.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #15
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
talked to my buddy who works at toyota, the sensor causing the issue is not the wheel sensor its the yaw sensor (Designed to prevent fishtailing). With the suspension lifted up the yaw of the vehicle will change with difrerent steering geometry and different vehicle center of gravity caused by a lift or larger tires making the truck roll more and the yaw is increased as well. Hopefully the recalibration will get rid of it but according to him it probably wont because he has done the calibration on a truck and the guy is still having issues. With a tall soft suspension the yaw is going to be more severe than stock and calibration may not correct this because the vehicle is stationary and there is no way to anticipate the yaw. My buddy, the toyota tech, told me that when the LSD is turned on the yaw sensor is turned off but the TRAC will still kick in if you lose traction and one tire turns faster than the others.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #16
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
im no expert but i trust my buddy. Makes me nervous to throw on big tires.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #17

docuw's Tacoma Gallery
So what is the right thing to do here? No calibration? My dealership isn't the brightest, and I think if I asked them about it, they might have some blank stares. I definitely notice my VSC kicking in easily, but its usually while cornering and hitting a bump at the same time that leads to it kicking in (which its probably supposed to do given that one wheel is probably bumping off the ground).
Old 11-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #18

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
The verdict im seeing, that works, is the press and hold the VSC 3 seconds when you start the truck and the VSC will turn off and stay off at any speed.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #19
forrest108 is on a distinguished road
forrest108's Tacoma Gallery
VSC button off and recalibration

Is there a clean way to permanently disconnect the VSC only? Holding the button down at start up is not acceptable as there are too many instances when it will be forgotten, especially by other drivers.

Had my '10 in for a recalibration since the owner's manual states that after an alignment this should be done (extra $120 at the dealership for a 15 minute job).
The VSC still goes off around corners when hitting a rough patch of asphalt.
There is nothing safe about this. I can now anticipate it but worry that a new driver (like my wife or daughter) is going to freak when this beeping flashing shaking stuff happens to them. Just because I put on bigger tires and new shocks and coil-overs raising the truck about 2 inches? Come on.

The dealership admitted they are having the same problems with a Tacoma they sold with a lift kit pre-installed.

One other annoyance: the gas pedal delay from a standing start. Basically I can't see this whole trend towards computerization making sense for truck owners.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #20

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest108 View Post
Is there a clean way to permanently disconnect the VSC only? Holding the button down at start up is not acceptable as there are too many instances when it will be forgotten, especially by other drivers.

Had my '10 in for a recalibration since the owner's manual states that after an alignment this should be done (extra $120 at the dealership for a 15 minute job).
The VSC still goes off around corners when hitting a rough patch of asphalt.
There is nothing safe about this. I can now anticipate it but worry that a new driver (like my wife or daughter) is going to freak when this beeping flashing shaking stuff happens to them. Just because I put on bigger tires and new shocks and coil-overs raising the truck about 2 inches? Come on.

The dealership admitted they are having the same problems with a Tacoma they sold with a lift kit pre-installed.

One other annoyance: the gas pedal delay from a standing start. Basically I can't see this whole trend towards computerization making sense for truck owners.
If you unplug one of the wheel sensors in the front it will create an error with the vsc and turn it off. if you want, you can also install a switch in line with the sensor so you can turn it on or off

Edit: this also disables abs