1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift with VSC answer.....

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TRDnAZ, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Jun 16, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    TRDnAZ

TRDnAZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Desert Sand Mica
    OK, I was asking the same questions as everyone else regarding the "lift with VSC" question. I have a 07 TRD Off-Road 4X4 Sr5 with all the options including VSC.
    I haven't lifted my Tacoma yet (financial reasons) but I noticed that the dealership that I bought my truck from was selling pre-lifted Tacoma's with everything from 3" Ready Lifts to 6" Pro-Comp's.
    So of course I ask them about it. Of course they all played stupid. So I went to researching this issue. And found the attached "VSC Re-calibration Instructions". This answered the question for me. Hope it helps you.

Attached Files:

2. Jun 16, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Good post!

3. Jun 16, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    TRDnAZ

Member:
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Desert Sand Mica
    No problem. I know I've found some really helpful info here from other members. Glad I could finally contribute.

4. Jul 10, 2009 at 7:31 PM
    FoxRacR17

FoxRacR17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 SR5 DoubleCab Short Bed
    Fox 2.5 C/O's, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, toytec 1.5" AAL, TC UCA's, blue/white dashboard lights, seatbelt chime removed, Synthetic leather armrests, WO seat covers front and back, Goodyear Wranger Duratrac 285/70/17, KMC XD Addict 17x9 rims
    i'm going to be installing my 3" lift on my 09 tacoma tomorrow and it has VSC. Is this something that I need to have the dealership do to my truck?

5. Jul 11, 2009 at 5:00 AM
    TRDnAZ

Member:
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Desert Sand Mica
    I would have to say yes if you what to be sure that your VSC is still working properly. I would have it done after the lift install and alignment.

6. Aug 4, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    DaGMEN

DaGMEN Member

Member:
    Has anyone had this re-calibration done by their dealer? Any issues getting them to do it? I put about 500 miles on my newly installed toytec ultimate lift this past weekend and two different times while in the middle of a corner my vsc engaged and tried pulling me into the oncoming lanes. Anyone else have any issues with the vsc on the 09 with a lift?

7. Aug 10, 2009 at 11:47 AM
    docuw

docuw Active Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DBL TRD Offroad
    3" Lift: Front - OME 885 Springs with N140S, Toytec 1/2" Spacer; Rear - TSB Leafs with Toytec TSB AAL and OME N182S. Total Chaos UCA's, Access Tonnaeu Cover, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, Polished Aluminum Bull Bar, Bed Mat.
    Wow, I didn't realize that we had to recalibrate this. Is this something that only the dealer does, or can someplace like Les Schwabs do it? Has anyone done this? How much $ did it cost?

Motoxxxrider14 likes this.
  8. Sep 1, 2009 at 10:59 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    did you ever find an answer to your question? I just lifted my truck and, to my surprise, need to recalibrate this. Dont really wanna take it to the stealership.

9. Sep 2, 2009 at 9:17 PM
    docuw

docuw Active Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    3" Lift: Front - OME 885 Springs with N140S, Toytec 1/2" Spacer; Rear - TSB Leafs with Toytec TSB AAL and OME N182S. Total Chaos UCA's, Access Tonnaeu Cover, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, Polished Aluminum Bull Bar, Bed Mat.
    No answers yet... I put my lift on 2 weeks ago. I have noticed that the VSC kicks on pretty easy (cornering over bumps - starts beeping), but I think it did that before too. I haven't figured out if we need to do this or where to get it done...

b2200srunnin likes this.
  10. Sep 2, 2009 at 9:46 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    As I understand it, it needs to be done with any lift. I'm just trying to figure out where to get it.

11. Sep 16, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    SO I talked to my toyota dealership today and they said it doesnt need to be done. Anybody know the REAL answer to the question?

12. Oct 12, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    ritewayco

ritewayco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    3 inch Procomp Coil Over. 2 inch add-a-leaf and block in the rear
    I am running into the same issue on my 2009 DC with my VSC kicking in during cornering. I have a 3 inche lift with 285/75/16 Procomp mudders. Has anybody done this recalibration routine and did it work? Will a dealer do the work, or does it have to be done by a third party mechanic/technician?

13. Oct 12, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I have a 3" lift, 33's and have yet to have VSC kick in when I wouldn't expect it (never on road but then again, I haven't driven in the rain yet). Yaw'll pretty good about finding this stuff - GREAT JOB!!!

[​IMG]

14. Nov 24, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    gixxer73

gixxer73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    darren
    kodak, tn
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma double cab SR5 4x4
    spidertraxx, ultimate lift kit by Toytec, LR UCA's. Kenwood 5140 Double Din, WeatherTec Floor Liners. Custom Box Build for 12 Inch PS3 with Punch 250. 15% tint all but front winshield, which is 35%, Katskinz Leather, SR5 Sockmonkey Decals, BLacked out badges, blacked out wheels, LED third light.

Hey mine does the exact same thing tries to pull my ass out of the turn and into a disel's fking grill in slight corners. Did u ever figure this calibration deal???

I think I have a fix but really not 100% sure of it.

15. Nov 24, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    talked to my buddy who works at toyota, the sensor causing the issue is not the wheel sensor its the yaw sensor (Designed to prevent fishtailing). With the suspension lifted up the yaw of the vehicle will change with difrerent steering geometry and different vehicle center of gravity caused by a lift or larger tires making the truck roll more and the yaw is increased as well. Hopefully the recalibration will get rid of it but according to him it probably wont because he has done the calibration on a truck and the guy is still having issues. With a tall soft suspension the yaw is going to be more severe than stock and calibration may not correct this because the vehicle is stationary and there is no way to anticipate the yaw. My buddy, the toyota tech, told me that when the LSD is turned on the yaw sensor is turned off but the TRAC will still kick in if you lose traction and one tire turns faster than the others.

16. Nov 24, 2009 at 7:19 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    im no expert but i trust my buddy. Makes me nervous to throw on big tires.

17. Nov 29, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    docuw

docuw Active Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    So what is the right thing to do here? No calibration? My dealership isn't the brightest, and I think if I asked them about it, they might have some blank stares. I definitely notice my VSC kicking in easily, but its usually while cornering and hitting a bump at the same time that leads to it kicking in (which its probably supposed to do given that one wheel is probably bumping off the ground).

18. Nov 29, 2009 at 4:42 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    The verdict im seeing, that works, is the press and hold the VSC 3 seconds when you start the truck and the VSC will turn off and stay off at any speed.

19. Aug 7, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    forrest108

forrest108 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 LB 4x4 Silver
    ICON front COs (+2") and rear shocks, upsized Duratrac tires.
    Is there a clean way to permanently disconnect the VSC only? Holding the button down at start up is not acceptable as there are too many instances when it will be forgotten, especially by other drivers.

Had my '10 in for a recalibration since the owner's manual states that after an alignment this should be done (extra $120 at the dealership for a 15 minute job).
    The VSC still goes off around corners when hitting a rough patch of asphalt.
    There is nothing safe about this. I can now anticipate it but worry that a new driver (like my wife or daughter) is going to freak when this beeping flashing shaking stuff happens to them. Just because I put on bigger tires and new shocks and coil-overs raising the truck about 2 inches? Come on.

The dealership admitted they are having the same problems with a Tacoma they sold with a lift kit pre-installed.

One other annoyance: the gas pedal delay from a standing start. Basically I can't see this whole trend towards computerization making sense for truck owners.

20. Aug 7, 2010 at 9:08 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    If you unplug one of the wheel sensors in the front it will create an error with the vsc and turn it off. if you want, you can also install a switch in line with the sensor so you can turn it on or off

Edit: this also disables abs

Products Discussed in

To Top