Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Questions

Old 06-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Phisherman162 is on a distinguished road
Army: Light Infantry Rappel Master
Phisherman162's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension Questions

I have a 98 2.7 4X4, body lifted, with 180,000 miles on it and still running strong. The shocks are thrashed and the ride is crappy and loose. I want to replace the shocks for as cheaply as possible, but still have a decent setup for road and off road. Everyone says to run the Billy 5100. What does everyone think about either the Rancho 5000 series, the Rancho 9000 series and the ProComp shocks? The Bilsteins sound good, but I am short on cash and am considering my options. Will I have to replace my springs up front as well? I want to keep the same basic height, maybe an inch or two of lift, but I drive this rig everyday to work, so I don't need it too tall.

I am a pretty mechanically inclined guy, so I imagine I can do this myself. Is there a good link for doing a swap for a 1st gen rig?

Thanks for any input.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't get the Ranchos.... (aka RONCHO). Although it was Years ago that I owned any, they leaked and don't last very long.

I don't have any experience with the 5100's - but they're a damn good way to lift your truck because they're adjustable.

You'll have to compare prices againest the 5100's to any other non adjustable standard shock replacement and weigh your options if the adjustability isn't something you need.

OME (Old Man EMU) shocks are very good but are a bit pricey. I've run Doetsch Tech shocks on my jeep and they're very good (and cheap). Bilsteins are also good, even the stock ones on the tacomas.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Procomp shocks are junk. As Janster said, the Bilstiens would do you well.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Black Hills Tony is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Maytag Repairman
Black Hills Tony's Tacoma Gallery
5100s work for me

I just replaced my stock bilsteins with a set of 5100s in the front and 5125s in the rear. I'm very happy with the ride improvement both on the highway and on the trails.

I didn't replace any springs or anything like that, but I did take advantage of the adjustability of the front shocks by putting them in the middle setting (that's .75" lift I believe), which helps to keep my 265/75/16s from rubbing on the frame when I go over obsticles and whatnot.

I purchased mine from Down south motorsports....seems like I got a good deal.

I say go with billys.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
Phisherman162 is on a distinguished road
Army: Light Infantry Rappel Master
Phisherman162's Tacoma Gallery
I know you guys might be paid spokesmen for Down South Motorsports, but is that the cheapest place to get 5100's?

Is that all I am going to need for the front end? I can do the labor myself, I am pretty sure, but what else do I need to get to make this happen? How much are new springs and are they necessary?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:45 AM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisherman162 View Post
I know you guys might be paid spokesmen for Down South Motorsports, but is that the cheapest place to get 5100's?

Is that all I am going to need for the front end? I can do the labor myself, I am pretty sure, but what else do I need to get to make this happen? How much are new springs and are they necessary?
No one here is a paid spokesperson for DSM that I know if...Sonny just gives TW the hook up on parts and is super knowledgeable about the stuff he sells. You can reuse the stock springs and all the hardware with the 5100's.

So you'll need a spring compressor to remove the old shocks and install the new ones....and then a jack to get the weight off the wheels...There is a how to remove the front strut post around here somewhere.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #7
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
I also have a 1st gen. and would like a similar suspension. I drive a lot of highway and would like something adjustable so I can lift it only when I need to. I chekced out Down South Motorsports. The set (all 4) of them, do they need to be adjusted before installation or can they be adjusted as needed.