1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" lift=uneven tire wear

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by chad68, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Jun 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    chad68

chad68 [OP] Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Got a 3" Revtek and I notice the front MT tires are wearing on the outside edge. My rears are perfect.

Far as I know there are basically 3 things that will cause that.

1. Under inflated tires.

2. Positive camber, possibly even zero camber and or not enough negative camber.

3. I drive to fast around corners.

Well I can say I'm not going to drive like an old lady or rotate them every 2,000-3000 miles. At that rate I would only get about 12,000 miles from all 4 tires. If they wore correctlly, they would last double that.

All 4 tires were at 30-32 PSI when they mounted them. I bumped up the fronts to 40 PSI and it still does it. I can tell because if the tire has dirt all over the tread, you can see on the edge where it has been scrubbed clean. Plus you can just plain see a taper forming and they only have 2,000 miles on them.

Has anybody else had problems with the outside edge of their tires wearing more than the rest of the tire, with the stock suspension arms and a 3" lift?

I'm going to bring it back in and see if there is more room for them to adjust the camber. I hope it's not already maxed out and there is no more room for them to adjust it. Would suck if I had to spend my coilover fund on arms instead.

2. Jun 22, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    did you get an alignment done after installing the lift

3. Jun 22, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Yeppers.

4. Jun 22, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    then i have no idea

5. Jun 22, 2009 at 7:17 PM
    TacoMOnster07

TacoMOnster07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 6speed 4x4 BSP Sr5
    BHLM, Grillcraft, Urd SS, Urd TCAI, Urd MAF Calibrator, AeroTurbine Exhaust, TacoTune Single Din, Two 8" Infinity Subs, 12-13000 HID's, Xtreme Bedrack light bar with two KC 4 by 6 lights.
    Who did the alignment? Did they show you the printout? I bet they adjusted Camber as much as they could but it's cambered out a little bit. I aligned my own truck and with stock upper control arms, you can't adjust fully, rotate tires often.

6. Jun 22, 2009 at 7:19 PM
    TacoMOnster07

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 6speed 4x4 BSP Sr5
    BHLM, Grillcraft, Urd SS, Urd TCAI, Urd MAF Calibrator, AeroTurbine Exhaust, TacoTune Single Din, Two 8" Infinity Subs, 12-13000 HID's, Xtreme Bedrack light bar with two KC 4 by 6 lights.
    Cambered out is camber + positive is you have the printout.

7. Jun 22, 2009 at 8:29 PM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Les Schwab did the install and alignment. Before anybody flames I had them lower my other truck with no problems. I think it's probablly a case of there is no more room left to adjust it. Have the same kind of issue on my Z but it's just the opposite, I have excessive negative camber that for 2 diff reasons can't be fixed without some adj bolts but those tires wear even and it handles great so I leave it alone.

Unfortuantlly I don't have the printout. Pretty sure I don't, will look but doubt it.

I'll find out more Saturday. Just curious if anybody else ran across this issue.

8. Jun 22, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    TacoMOnster07

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 6speed 4x4 BSP Sr5
    Not trying to Flam anybody sorry not what I meant. Just meant like can you talk to them? Ask them about the adjustments. If I did the alignment I probably would have mentioned it to cover myself. I had my eccentrics cranked as far as I could but couldn't get perfect Camber. I think it's noticeable when looking strait at them. If you noticed the uneven wear in the tire I'm sure you can notice this also. I just rotate often. Saving for new tires and upper control arms so I can align correctly.

9. Jun 22, 2009 at 8:39 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    have you tried aftermarket upper control arms?

10. Jun 22, 2009 at 8:58 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    X2, i bet this would fix the problem

11. Jun 22, 2009 at 9:46 PM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    Simple, you can't lift the truck over 2.5" without needing more droop from your UCA's.

12. Jun 22, 2009 at 11:06 PM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    These trucks loose a lot of camber when they are lifted, it sucks. If you go over 2 inches you are pretty much screwed. Ideally you would want about 1 degree negative, but my truck with just under 2 inches is positive .6 degree on both sides.
    Upper arms will definately fix the problem, but I see you are only running 265 tires, you can lower it down a lot and still fit them, not to mention have a better ride as well. I would consider getting a smaller lift and then don't need UCAs and you can get a far better alignment.

13. Jun 22, 2009 at 11:09 PM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    I thought the UCA'a were only for caster?

What I might do is just get the coilovers and set them at 2.5" and just put the rear end back to stock to level it out or maybe use the 1" block in the rear I have laying around, if they can't make it better the way it is.

Didn't really plan on spending 800-1,000 on coilovers and 650'ish for arms.

If the UCA's do correct camber as well, they would probablly pay for themselves over time (few years), compaired to the tires it would eat.

14. Jun 22, 2009 at 11:16 PM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    The cheapest way to correct your problems at this point, is to just buy Bilstien 5100's for the front and set them to the lift you desire while using your stock coils.

15. Jun 25, 2009 at 3:35 AM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Well I found these Total Chaos arms (see link). They're about 200 bucks more than their other arms but they have the ability to get the camber back into spec.

ORW has the remote res. Fox coilover set with the other Total Chaos arms for $1800. I'm gonna see if they can replace those arms, with the other arms (in the link) for about $2,000.

http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/4/sfID2/78/sfID3/83/productID/38933

16. Jun 25, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    sierra141

sierra141 Mean Green

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Offroad
    Kings
    I had the same issue I had too much positive camber my tires where wearing uneven I went to get an alignment and the adjustments where maxed out, so I decided to buy the toytec coilovers and what do you know its back to specs tires are now wearing even. I never got control arms with the spacer lift so that might help you.

Products Discussed in

To Top