1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'o9 DC Taco TRD Off Road

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by dysfunctnlretard, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Jun 23, 2009 at 12:07 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Alright, hate to beat a dead horse but I'm probably going to ask some stupid questions and I hope you guys can forgive me. I recently purchased my first truck ('o9 DC Taco with TRD Off Road Pkg) after trading in a little civic whose oil I barely knew how to change so my mechanical expertise is absent.

I want to lift my truck 3". I use it mainly for driving but do some light off roading. I dont want to get a lift that sacrifices performance but don't want something made for racing baja either. I read the sticky on lifts and went through some of the problems that people may experience when lifting their truck (like needing a new CA, excessive CV Boot wearing) and would like to avoid the adverse affects of lifting.

As I understand the sticky, the front and rear need different type of lifts kits. It sounds like my best bet, from what I understand, would be a AAL Kit for the rear and not sure for the front. Am I right about the rear? What would be my best bet for the front? Whats the difference btw the Billy 5100's (front) and Toytec lift kit (front), as they both seem to be popular choices of members on the site?

2. Jun 23, 2009 at 12:52 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    You are correct about the AAL in the rear.

In the front:

There are many choices for coilovers. Most you can adjust while installed on the truck to increase or decrease the ride hight. They include the adjustable shock and spring.

Bilstein 5100s use the stock spring (unless you want to replace them) and you must select your ride hight before installing the 5100s. They can go as high as 2.5 inches.

To save your CVs you should add a diff drop for the front diff, if you want to raise the front 3 inches.

I would recommend the . It has everything you need.

3. Jun 24, 2009 at 10:09 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Thanks everyone for the input, I think I'm gonna go with B5100's all the way around, and AAL in the rear as well.

I was planing on ordering the 5100's in the next two weeks, but not sure about the AAL pack.

Whats the best place to get them (AAL)?
    What kind/how many do I get?
    And can I install the 5100's all the way around first, and install the AAL pack later?
    How do I avoid experience the vibes that everyone else is experiencing?

4. Jun 25, 2009 at 4:21 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I installed the 5100s on all 4 corners. Then a month later I wanted to raise the rear, so I installed the AAL at that time.

The AAL you get depends on how much lift you want. Toytec and Wheelers make quality AAL.

If you raise the rear 3 inches you may get driveshaft vibration. So, you should either drop the carrier bearing or add shims between the axle and leafs. Its hit or miss on which works best.

Products Discussed in

To Top