Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear suspension sag (passenger side)

Old 06-26-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
geolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of light

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Rear suspension sag (passenger side)

Before I go to my TSB Service Dealer, I would like to know if anyone else has (had) this condition.

Truck = 09 double cab long bed TRD Sport with Canopy.

Rear Suspension issue.
Compared to the left (driver) side distance between bed frame and the axel:

Before TSB rear 3 Springs sets were replaced the right rear sagged 5/8 inch between the bed frame and the axle.

After the TSB rear 4 Springs sets were installed, the the right rear still sags 5/8 inch between the bed frame and the axle.

I did not notice this condition until sometime after the canopy was mounted. I do not think the (evenly dispersed) canopy weight is relevant.

Because the sag existed with the 3 spring sets and still exists with the 4 spring sets, this does not seem to be an issue with the springs. Any ideas? - faulty from the factory? How to correct?

This sag is exaggerated to 1+ inch at center of right rear wheel fender (above hub).
Want to get this resolved before any more lift alterations.
Much thanks for any thoughts/input!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
sincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to all
sincitytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Weird, my truck is literally dead level.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
geolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of light

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTacoma View Post
are you talking about the tacoma lean
No, this is on the opposite side, the passenger side.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #5

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincitytaco View Post
Weird, my truck is literally dead level.
Yes it is weird. I would think there are some side to side suspension level tolerance specs. The right rear sag is noticeable (1+ inch lower).

Just wondering if anyone else may have experienced this?
Old 06-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
sincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to all
actually my passenger side rear is about 1/8 inch lower. and the front is dead level, but I had to adjust my coilovers accordingly to get it that way.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #7

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
actually my passenger side rear is about 1/8 inch lower. and the front is dead level, but I had to adjust my coilovers accordingly to get it that way.
Understand, However only alteration so far is the 3 Spring sets for the 4 Spring Sets. This 5/8 - 3/4" Right Rear Sag is most easily noticed when comparing the Bumpers to the Bump Stops.

Unloaded bed (just the canopy):

Right rear Bumper to Bump stop = 2 7/8"
Left rear Bumper to Bump stop = 3 5/8"

Even if it is the new TSB 4 Spring sets, should they be out that much???
Old 06-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
Thats weird, all tacomas normally lean to the other side. Has your truck been in a wreck with frame damage. Maybe the springs were installed on the wrong side. They do make left and right springs.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #9

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats weird, all tacomas normally lean to the other side. Has your truck been in a wreck with frame damage. Maybe the springs were installed on the wrong side. They do make left and right springs.
No damage, this truck is 2 mos old and (my) 2800 miles.

Good question about which side the new springs are installed on.
I just confirmed the new TSB 4 Spring sets are the correct part numbers. They were installed by dealer yesterday:

Part number RR RH 48210-04570 installed on Right side.
Part number RR LH 48210-04210 installed on Left side.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
I see you live in "Silver State" if you are in las vegas go to skips spring service and have him either arch one side or de arch the other to make it level.
I had this done a while ago and he took 3/4 inches out of one side to make the truck sit square.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #11

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I see you live in "Silver State" if you are in las vegas go to skips spring service and have him either arch one side or de arch the other to make it level.
I had this done a while ago and he took 3/4 inches out of one side to make the truck sit square.
Thanks for the suggestion sincity.

I see you did the 4 Spring TSB. Did you do the arching on these TSB Springs? I am trying to understand if my situation is rare.

I am in Elko - Reno is an option. Would you recommend arching (de-arching) the TSB springs to level the truck before any other alterations?
Thanks for your input / sharing your experience.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
I did have the TSB springs, but I took them off and put the 3 leaf ones back on again. I didin't like how much the TSB springs lifted me and I had to run too much preload on the coilovers to make the truck sit level. So I put the 3 leafers back on to lower the rear and make the truck ride softer. Like it now even though I still think the coilovers are a tad firm, but I may get them revalved in a year or so.
No my truck has always sat dead level in the rear. When it was new the driver side front sat about 1/2 inch low, but I fixed that with coilovers now the front is dead level, but the driver side rear sits about 1/8 inch higher, when I have a full tank it is dead level on all 4 corners.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #13

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did have the TSB springs, but I took them off and put the 3 leaf ones back on again. I didin't like how much the TSB springs lifted me and I had to run too much preload on the coilovers to make the truck sit level. So I put the 3 leafers back on to lower the rear and make the truck ride softer. Like it now even though I still think the coilovers are a tad firm, but I may get them revalved in a year or so.
No my truck has always sat dead level in the rear. When it was new the driver side front sat about 1/2 inch low, but I fixed that with coilovers now the front is dead level, but the driver side rear sits about 1/8 inch higher, when I have a full tank it is dead level on all 4 corners.

Thanks sincity for clarifying.

My situation must be unique.
Both Spring Sets (stock 3 leaf and TSB 4 leaf) seem to behave the same.

Right rear sag exists regardless of which springs are mounted. I did not address it with the dealer when the 3 Spring sets were on, thinking that the new 4 Spring Sets would correct it. They did not.

From what I have learned, it seems that tweaking springs are a way to "adjust" the sag.
I would rather address the real sag problem, which would be ????

I appreciate everyones comments - please continue if any more ideas.
Come Monday, looks like it is back to the dealer - they will not like to see me after they just installed the TSB 4 Spring Packs, but this (passenger side) sag on this new truck does not seem normal...
Old 02-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Bobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobcat's Tacoma Gallery
So what was the cause?
Old 02-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
Bobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobcat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
all the gas driver and battery on one side.
He has the sag on the passanger side. That is why he started the thread, cause it was opposite everyone else.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #16
ponokauai is on a distinguished road
Name: pono
ponokauai's Tacoma Gallery
i have the same exact problem and still cant find out the problem... i was thinking maybe the previous owner of my truck installed the passenger side leafs on the driver side and the driver side on passenger??? anyone got any suggestions? maybe add a 1" spacer between my frame and bed of truck??