Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Taco Lean, top plate spacer necessary with 5100s?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
STLTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
Taco Lean, top plate spacer necessary with 5100s?

So I've searched, and I've read threads that say the 5100s lifted to .85, 1.75, or 2.5 will negate the need for the top plate spacer to fix the taco lean. Then I've also read threads that say lifts above 3 inches will correct the taco lean.

So whats the verdict? If I lift to 1.75" or so, will that correct the taco lean? Or should I still opt for the spacer for the driver side?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
My taco has the taco lean. Both sides are set to 2.5 but the driver side seems to be acting like its at 1.75. Get the spacer to correct it. The lean sucks.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
It leans like a cholo! So the spacer would be only for one side i.e. Driver's side or Passanger side?
Old 06-27-2009, 06:01 AM   #6
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
The 5100's are adjustable......

Adjust the low side to correct the lean. No spacers needed.

If you have the 5100's adjusted to its highest setting, then you'll need a spacer.
I think I'd rather use the top plate spacer than adjusting the 5100s to a different setting on each side...
Old 06-27-2009, 06:29 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLTaco09 View Post
I think I'd rather use the top plate spacer than adjusting the 5100s to a different setting on each side...
I'd do some research.... How big of a top plate spacer are you thinking of using?

You really shouldn't go any higher than a 1/4" thick spacer (= 1/2" lift).
Old 06-27-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I'd do some research.... How big of a top plate spacer are you thinking of using?

You really shouldn't go any higher than a 1/4" thick spacer (= 1/2" lift).
Yep, its just the 1/4" top spacer plate for the drivers side to level it out with the passenger side. I think toytec sells it as a 5mm trim packer.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:54 AM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Yep, its just the 1/4" top spacer plate for the drivers side to level it out with the passenger side. I think toytec sells it as a 5mm trim packer.
The 5mm trim packers only work with OME springs/shocks. Toytec makes a 10mm/ .25inch top plate spacer that they sell in sets of one I think
Old 06-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
The 5mm trim packers only work with OME springs/shocks. Toytec makes a 10mm/ .25inch top plate spacer that they sell in sets of one I think
That's because the trim packer installs at the bottom of the coil seat?

(if I'm thinking correctly?)
Old 06-29-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
Taco Supremist
spearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to all

spearhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I've searched, and I've read threads that say the 5100s lifted to .85, 1.75, or 2.5 will negate the need for the top plate spacer to fix the taco lean. Then I've also read threads that say lifts above 3 inches will correct the taco lean.

So whats the verdict? If I lift to 1.75" or so, will that correct the taco lean? Or should I still opt for the spacer for the driver side?
I literally just had this scenario over the weekend, I went to a 4WP shop and had 5100s and an add a leaf put in. I bought the spacer from ToyTec and took it in to be installed with the billys even though I measured out the passenger side to be the same as the driver side before I made the purchase. I figured with adjustable shocks the lean would eventually happen(truck had 40000 on it and no lean yet) so I wanted it put in as a 'preventative'

4WP would not install the spacer since both sides were spec, so maybe I have avoided the Taco Lean altogether We'll see...

I also somehow avoided any shudder at low MPH without shims or a carrier drop using the Toytec 2" AAL (non TSB) -whatever that means, whacky how much that varies truck to truck

( I went 1.85 on the front billys)
Old 06-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
10mm is .40 inch, and would give just over 3/4" lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
PM Chris4x4 for a cheap lean-fixing spacer. I believe he made a few...
I dont have any left right now, and am kinda booked on the next batch. Also, FWIW, I dont think I can fix any lean over 2/3".....thats thicker than I want to go for a "Shim".
Old 06-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #14
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Im curious about this as well, as I am very close to pulling the trigger on some 5100s.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #15
I measured my lean to be right at .5". I think the toytec spacer will be plenty sufficient at 1/4" spacer giving and extra 1/2" to the drivers side.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I measured my lean to be right at .5". I think the toytec spacer will be plenty sufficient at 1/4" spacer giving and extra 1/2" to the drivers side.
It should work perfectly.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #17
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
i noticed my rear driver tire wearing more on the outside. then i noticed my front passenger side is up a little higher than the front driver side. i have the billys set at 1.85. could this be caused by the lean you guys are talking about?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #18
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I had .5 lower on the passenger side with oem tokicos. I went with 5100s set on 2.5 with TRD springs & the Toytec .25 top plate leveling spacer on the driver's side. Nuts on strut still threaded all the way on & magically (or not) the front is now level.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #19
Excellent, thanks for the info everyone. Looks like the 5100s do absolutely nothing to help the lean.

Funny thing is, if it weren't for the tape measure, I wouldn't have even known it was there...
Old 06-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #20
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Excellent, thanks for the info everyone. Looks like the 5100s do absolutely nothing to help the lean....
Whatta ya mean by that?

For anyone who's installed the 5100's - are you running stock coils?

Are you making sure the coils are on the proper side? The 1st gen trucks - the coils were side specific.

Have you tried swapping the coil assemblies from side to side?

And lastly, again...the 5100's are adjustable. You can adjust them to correct for the lean. Or, get a 1/4" thick spacer ontop the assembly.