Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Roadmaster active suspension

Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
huntingskeetman is on a distinguished road
huntingskeetman's Tacoma Gallery
Roadmaster active suspension

I'm thinking about adding the RAS kit to my Tacoma. I was wondering if anyone else uses this active suspension kit. From the literature it makes sense and seems like an easy install. I don't need to get anything heavy duty but could use a little boost on occasions that I load up the bed or tow something. Any thoughts opinions would be appreciated. The other options/product I was considering was the kit made by Timbren.

http://www.strutmasters.com/ProductD...4&Show=ExtInfo

http://www.timbren.com/timbren-appli...s/TORTUN4L.pdf

Gary
Old 07-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
huntingskeetman is on a distinguished road
huntingskeetman's Tacoma Gallery
I looked into a group buy of the Roadmaster after learning another forum member was interested - see the link under group buys for details.

Gary
Old 07-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
cntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed. I've also been looking for feedback on these.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
copernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the rough

copernicus's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have feedback on tacom/ras combo?
Old 08-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Thread revive. I'm interested in potentially adding these units when I lift the truck. Starting to do some serious research on lift components and such and am interested in feedback on the RAS kit.

Anyone? Bueller?

Of particular interest: It seems these kits wouldn't hurt offroad ability and aid on-road handling, which would be especially helpful for a lifted truck (higher center of gravity = body roll). Anyone know of any offroad side effects?
Old 08-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
No better friend,No worse enemy...
InfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant future
Marines: iKill
Name: G
InfidelTaco's Tacoma Gallery
interesting. . .
Old 08-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Thread revive. I'm interested in potentially adding these units when I lift the truck. Starting to do some serious research on lift components and such and am interested in feedback on the RAS kit.

Anyone? Bueller?

Of particular interest: It seems these kits wouldn't hurt offroad ability and aid on-road handling, which would be especially helpful for a lifted truck (higher center of gravity = body roll). Anyone know of any offroad side effects?
I don't know this for a fact about this kit...but anything that stabilizes/maintains form or rigidity will hurt your flex offroad which may make your ability to clear obstacles less. It will also induce more body lean as the springs will deform less as the wheels move.
Not to mention is more shit up under your springs.

For about 100 bones more you can get a new set of leafs...
Old 08-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
No better friend,No worse enemy...
InfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant future
Marines: iKill
Name: G
InfidelTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I don't know this for a fact about this kit...but anything that stabilizes/maintains form or rigidity will hurt your flex offroad which may make your ability to clear obstacles less. It will also induce more body lean as the springs will deform less as the wheels move.
Not to mention is more shit up under your springs.

For about 100 bones more you can get a new set of leafs...

Nice post. Wheelers and Toytec have AAL's for a fair price.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfidelTaco View Post
Nice post. Wheelers and Toytec have AAL's for a fair price.
I'mnot even talking AALs man...A full on new set of Dakar 2.75 lift rear leafs for a 2nd Gen is like 375 plus hardware and shipping and tax. So for a little more than 100 bones over the price of that "Active suspension" you can get a new set of leafs that will 1)lift (altho there are springs out there for replacement that do not lift) 2) improve ride and capacity handling 3) not add extra stuff under your springs and what not.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

New leaves are a potential...I have the TSB springs at the moment and am planning to jam an AAL in there when the lift goes on, resulting in a 5 leaf pack.

Ride quality will largely determine whether this solution stays or I move to some Dakars.

The roadmaster is very maybe at the moment as well...largely depends on feedback, if any.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
I vote for don't screw around with in betweens- Go for the Dakars man. Every dollar you spend on something in the "meantime" is a dollar you don't have for spending on something else...ya know??

I did an 3 pack Wheelers AAL with my TSB springs- 7 leaves total. and I like it...but I should coughed up the extra few bucks for the Dakars (and I may in the near future...)
Old 08-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #12

It's not a money thing. I'm perfectly willing to pay for what I want. There is no "meantime" as everything is going on at once in terms of:

- Lift
- TC UCAs
- Bigger Meats
- Regearing
- Potential one-piece/CV driveshaft

What I'm doing now is researching and starting to settle on exactly what it is that I want. At first I was favoring Icon for the C/Os and shocks, but it seems OME would still be more than sufficient for my needs and is quite a bit less expensive.

My main concern with the Dakars is payload compared with TSB springs and an AAL - which would end up higher? I'm looking to improve offroad capability without sacrificing work abilities any more than necessary.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #13
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
It's not a money thing. I'm perfectly willing to pay for what I want. There is no "meantime" as everything is going on at once in terms of:

- Lift
- TC UCAs
- Bigger Meats
- Regearing
- Potential one-piece/CV driveshaft

What I'm doing now is researching and starting to settle on exactly what it is that I want. At first I was favoring Icon for the C/Os and shocks, but it seems OME would still be more than sufficient for my needs and is quite a bit less expensive.

My main concern with the Dakars is payload compared with TSB springs and an AAL - which would end up higher? I'm looking to improve offroad capability without sacrificing work abilities any more than necessary.
This IS ALL hearsay....but all of the folks who have told me anything about the Dakar's have said the payload will at least match the TSB + AAL payload. They have some flex to them but will still hols the truck up.

Some of the other complete replacement springs focus more on the flex and can have less capacity...again from what I have heard.