LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

deavers/alcan vs. wheelers 1.5'' lift leaf packs

Old 07-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
deavers/alcan vs. wheelers 1.5'' lift leaf packs

EDIT: I didn'y notice that the "wheelers" leafs are made by alcan, but either way... read on

Ok, I am getting new leafs with my lift when my motorcycle sells, I have been looking for way too long, and now i'm trying to decide deaver v.s wheelers leafs.

I dont often haul a big load, but I want to be able to, I have heard that without the overload spring (deavers dont have it) the leafs can also sag prematurely... is this the case?

will i get a significant amount of flew from the deavers vs wheelers leafs?

My truck is my DD, usually get out about 4 times a month to do some wheelin... what do you guys think?
It will be paired with bilstein rear shocks and bilstein adj from shocks.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Come on!
Old 07-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
I have Alcan add-a-leafs on my truck now and will be putting on a Deaver leaf pack in about a week, I can tell you the difference in ride I notice afterwards.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #5

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
great i'd really like to know. add a leaf isn't an option for me, the wheelers/alcan leafs look to be pretty good
Old 07-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
great i'd really like to know. add a leaf isn't an option for me, the wheelers/alcan leafs look to be pretty good
i have the wheelers 5 pack leafs...made by alcan, and they are awesome man. i think you'd be happy with them.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i have the wheelers 5 pack leafs...made by alcan, and they are awesome man. i think you'd be happy with them.
plus......the setup you are getting is basically what i have.....although i have the ome 881 coils also. rides great.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #8

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
man, everytime i ask about a lift, you have the answers and tell me "i have that and it's dope, get it" haha wheelers 5 leaf it is! how's the flex offroad? and how are they at taking weight?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I've got the Wheelers 3-pack AAL...not the full pack. But I'm pleased with it so far.

You can rebuild the spring packs with the overload leaf....

You can also take a look at the Dakar leaf packs. They keep the stock loading ability from what I've been told.
This is something I'm interested in as I still use the bed of my truck to haul stuff occasionally.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:01 AM   #10

Quote:
man, everytime i ask about a lift, you have the answers and tell me "i have that and it's dope, get it" haha wheelers 5 leaf it is! how's the flex offroad? and how are they at taking weight?
it flexes offroad just fine as far as im concerned....stuffing tires and dropping out both......and it looks cool while its doing it. and for weigjht in the bed......i've carried load of crap back there with those springs......no sagging or anything.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #11
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
i have the deaver j66 10 and they ride great, flex very good offroad and a good ride on the street. i have had about 700# in the back, it came down alittle but was not a problem.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #12

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks will! hopefully the bike sells soon and I can order everything!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
i have the deaver j66 10 and they ride great, flex very good offroad and a good ride on the street. i have had about 700# in the back, it came down alittle but was not a problem.
same set up, works great.. but I would go with an adjustable shock for the rear. Kinda bouncy when empty, smooth with weight in it with Icon rears
Old 07-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #14
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBtaco View Post
same set up, works great.. but I would go with an adjustable shock for the rear. Kinda bouncy when empty, smooth with weight in it with Icon rears
mine are ok with the 5100's but are too short in my opinion, get some custom fox's made.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #15

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I'm trying to stay under $1000 for the lift. what other options do i have for longer rear shocks?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm trying to stay under $1000 for the lift. what other options do i have for longer rear shocks?
Not many. With only add-a-leafs in the rear, all the brands of leafs should be very similar in ride quality. OME or Bilstein shocks are your best bet for staying under $1,000 for the total lift and thats cutting it close.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #17

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
Not many. With only add-a-leafs in the rear, all the brands of leafs should be very similar in ride quality. OME or Bilstein shocks are your best bet for staying under $1,000 for the total lift and thats cutting it close.
I'm not getting an add a leaf... I'm going to get the wheelers leaf pack made by alcan.. it just still has the overload spring...
I am talking shocks, but i'm pretty sure i'll be going with bilstein rear shocks
Old 07-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #18
Quote:
I'm not getting an add a leaf... I'm going to get the wheelers leaf pack made by alcan.. it just still has the overload spring...
I am talking shocks, but i'm pretty sure i'll be going with bilstein rear shocks
you can use the 5100's in the rear, if you go more than 2" lift in the rear you will have to use something else.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #19

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
perfect! thats just what i needed to hear. I'm going to order my lift when I'm in texas for firefighting academy, i'll save a lot on shipping and stuff too. anyone wanna help me install some stuff one weekend in january? (tex, that's you! haha)
Old 07-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #20
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
They are both good leaf springs. Deaver has been in the businees longer but people who have the Alcan's seem satisfied. Their is only one way to find out.