Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Toytec 1/4" spacer need longer studs?!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
r12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant future
r12rex's Tacoma Gallery
Toytec 1/4" spacer need longer studs?!

Hey guys,

About to put on my billy 5100s set to 2.5 and also purchased the toytec 1/4" spacer to correct the infamous taco lean. I was wondering if the stock studs on the top hat are sufficient to use with the spacer? Are you guys using longer studs?! Thanks!

Kind Regards,
Ryan
Old 07-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Taco Supremist
spearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to all

spearhead's Tacoma Gallery
Whats up Ryan
Very interesting that you ask this as I just (2 weeks ago) had this done and the installer claimed that the studs were too short to add the same .25 Toytec spacer. He had already installed the billys so I was not able to get a visual on what he was trying to tell me but he was questioning putting a spacer on just one side from the get go.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
What year is your truck? If its a second gen ( '05 + ) then you should be fine to add a 1/4" spacer without needing longer studs.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
Taco Supremist
spearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to all

spearhead's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Chris, I'm 2nd Gen, and what you indicated has been consistent with several lift write ups I have come across, I thought the installer was just full of BS until seeing Ryan's post.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
r12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant future
r12rex's Tacoma Gallery
Chris,

05 Taco here. Thanks for all the feedback guys. Looking forward to posting pictures.

Kind Regards,
Ryan
Old 07-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Toyota Man
Toyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Former Reserve Police Officer
Toyota Man's Tacoma Gallery
Hi, thought I would give you my 02 cents
I had a revtek lift kit installed and it has the 1/4" alum. spacers that fit on top of the coils. The kit did not have the replacement studs and I called Revtek and they said that on 05 and newer that they were not needed and will not put them in on 05 and newer kits from now on. I watched when they were putting the kit together and the stud did not have much thread left, but had enough for a good bite on the 3 to 4 threads that were left, just not gobs of it left over like in stock form. Les Schwab here on the west coast is the one who put the kit together for me and they said that they dont usually change studs anyway. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Man View Post
Hi, thought I would give you my 02 cents
I had a revtek lift kit installed and it has the 1/4" alum. spacers that fit on top of the coils. The kit did not have the replacement studs and I called Revtek and they said that on 05 and newer that they were not needed and will not put them in on 05 and newer kits from now on. I watched when they were putting the kit together and the stud did not have much thread left, but had enough for a good bite on the 3 to 4 threads that were left, just not gobs of it left over like in stock form. Les Schwab here on the west coast is the one who put the kit together for me and they said that they dont usually change studs anyway. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
3 to 4 threads is not going to offer the nuts a good purchase. I would get longer ones.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #9
2 is 1, 1 is none.
StaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to behold

Army: HIARNG
Name: Mitch
StaticTaco's Tacoma Gallery
is the lean really all that noticeable? or is it comparable to what the lean is on stock suspension? im about to lift my truck with 5100s, blocks, and tc ucas, and was curious if i should invest in this spacer.

if its not all that noticeable or bad, i'll just leave it.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:13 AM   #10
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
STLTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticTaco View Post
is the lean really all that noticeable? or is it comparable to what the lean is on stock suspension? im about to lift my truck with 5100s, blocks, and tc ucas, and was curious if i should invest in this spacer.

if its not all that noticeable or bad, i'll just leave it.
I can't notice it at all on mine. I broke out the tape measure though and sure enough, drivers side sits 1/2" lower than passenger side. Since the 5100s are going on, I got the spacer to correct the lean.

I guess its all personal preference. If you don't notice it, then maybe its not important. The tape measure told me what I needed to know though...
Old 07-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #11
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Same setup here. I used the spacer on driver side & you can't see threads on top of the nut but you can see all of the angled top part of the stud sticking up thru the nut. Looks like threads made it all the way thru the nut, just not up on top where you can see them. Had no issues with it. There should be no opposite force on it anyway unless you plan on flying your truck or when you jack it up off the ground. I'll see if I have a pic of that area close up enough to tell..........nope, pics are on PC at home.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Same setup here. I used the spacer on driver side & you can't see threads on top of the nut but you can see all of the angled top part of the stud sticking up thru the nut. Looks like threads made it all the way thru the nut, just not up on top where you can see them. Had no issues with it. There should be no opposite force on it anyway unless you plan on flying your truck or when you jack it up off the ground. I'll see if I have a pic of that area close up enough to tell..........nope, pics are on PC at home.
Your good then. As long as the threads are mostly thru the nut, all should be good.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
2 is 1, 1 is none.
StaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to behold

Army: HIARNG
Name: Mitch
StaticTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLTaco09 View Post
I can't notice it at all on mine. I broke out the tape measure though and sure enough, drivers side sits 1/2" lower than passenger side. Since the 5100s are going on, I got the spacer to correct the lean.

I guess its all personal preference. If you don't notice it, then maybe its not important. The tape measure told me what I needed to know though...
hey thanks for the info, I guess I'll be leaving it. I can't really notice the lean on stock suspension so I guess it's not a very big deal. I just hope someone doesn't come up to my truck after the lift and take a tape measure
to it haha thanks though, can't wait for my lift to go on
Old 07-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
I used the longer studs when I had the billy 5100 lean.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:42 AM   #15
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Bluez View Post
I used the longer studs when I had the billy 5100 lean.
It's the taco lean. They lean with anything but fully adj coilovers or using the spacer.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I'm aware.