Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Front Lift Spacers?

Old 12-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Bill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the rough

Bill in Ky's Tacoma Gallery
Front Lift Spacers?

Today I machined a pair of steel 1/8" spacers to give my 16x8 wheels the
space they needed to clear the brake calipers.
I would like to raise the front of the truck a couple of inches, just to level
it up. Could someone tell me where to get these spacers?
Or show me some pictures, tell me how thick they should be and I'll make some if they are steel. 08 Reg cab 2.7 5 speed 4x4 SR5
Thanks,
Bill
Old 12-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
all the ones i've seen have been either aluminum billet or poly, but i dont see y steel wouldnt work. there are a few different kinds on ebay, but u can check the toytec, procomp, fabtec, and other sites that have them as well.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
Bill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the rough

Will a 1" thick spacer raise the truck more than 1"? If so, how much more?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i'd seriously doubt it...if u got the rear tsb done and u wanted to level it out completely, i'd do a 2.5"...if no rear tsb, then i'd go 1.5"
Old 12-06-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my Daystar spacers here (http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacoma.htm) and I'm very happy with them. Although they are only 1.25" the truck looks level to me. This guy (http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...ht=Wheeler%27s) bought the same spacers and his truck also looks level. As for steel in the suspension I wouldn't reccomend it, get polyurethane.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Ky View Post
Will a 1" thick spacer raise the truck more than 1"? If so, how much more?
Front spacers will be HALF as thick as the lift it'll give you.

For instance - a spacer that is 1/2" thick will give you 1" of lift.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Front spacers will be HALF as thick as the lift it'll give you.

For instance - a spacer that is 1/2" thick will give you 1" of lift.
the ones i got were thicker than 1.25" to get my 2.5" of lift...i'll have to measure them in the morning when i get home to double check...

link to mine
Old 12-06-2007, 09:59 PM   #8
jonbob1 is on a distinguished road
jonbob1's Tacoma Gallery
i am going to do the math for you. if the spring is stock and the spacer is 1 inch the lift shoud be 1 inch. If you ar running shackles in the rear the lift is half of the new shackle length. this also applys to the front if you are in a older taco. ( not advisable in the front, with leaf springs )
Old 12-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbob1 View Post
i am going to do the math for you. if the spring is stock and the spacer is 1 inch the lift shoud be 1 inch. If you ar running shackles in the rear the lift is half of the new shackle length. this also applys to the front if you are in a older taco. ( not advisable in the front, with leaf springs )
The topic is about front lift spacers.........not leaf spring spacers.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
the ones i got were thicker than 1.25" to get my 2.5" of lift...i'll have to measure them in the morning when i get home to double check...
It's about half....and that's because the coil assembly is mounted in the middle of the lower a-arm (fulcrum - so to speak).
Old 12-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #11
Sooooooper Moderator

ok, well i measured the spacers this morning...there's a .75" spacer above the coils, but below the shock mount...and the spacer above the shock mount is slightly over 1"
Old 12-07-2007, 09:17 AM   #12
das56170 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st Lieutenant
das56170's Tacoma Gallery
how hard is to install front lift spacers, and would you need any special tools?
Old 12-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #13
Conservative
Motorkopf is on a distinguished road

Marines: 3002
Motorkopf's Tacoma Gallery
Not too hard. You'll need some jack stands and a decent jack- you can actually use the emergency jack just for lifting onto the jack stands. You'll also need a coil compressor which you can buy or rent at Autozone and a metric tool kit with a 19MM socket (if I remember correctly) and smaller. It took me abut 5-6 hours working alone to do front and back Toytec lift. The hardest part IMO is compressing the coils- more of a PITA than anything else and not really difficult.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #14

MotorKopf,
I am guessing that you put your spacer under the upper coil support plate
(reason for spring compression). Do you think a 1 1/2" spacer on top of the
support plate (not having to remove the spring) would be ok?

I just looked this project over this morning, it lookes to me like the front stabalizer will have to be removed along with taking the tie rod ends loose in
order to get the shock and spring out. Is this what you had to do?
Thanks everyone for all your help!!
Bill
Old 12-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #15
Conservative
Motorkopf is on a distinguished road

Marines: 3002
Motorkopf's Tacoma Gallery
Bill- I did put the large spacer under the plate, but also a small spacer above the plate. I'm not sure if you could put a large spacer above- I just followed the directions. You'd need much larger plate bolts also. It might be that it would be too long to get into the A-arm as you suggested. As it was, it was pretty tight so that's probably the case.

Yes you should remove the sway bar, but that's really pretty easy. Once you disconnect the bottom of the shock (to the A-arm) and the top of the shock to the upper mount, put some leverage on the A-arm and the whole shock assembly will slide out. If I remember right, you'll want to swing the shock forward once the bottom has been un-wedged from the A-arm. Hope that helps.

-Jake