Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Going Toytec..

Old 07-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
stephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nice
Name: Stephen
stephenm's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Going Toytec..

Hi,
I'm thinking of lifting my truck. After talking to Toytec, I think that would be the right choice for me. They say their Ultimate lift kit does not void warranty and that the Toyota service department can even do the install. I don't have the tools to do it and I'd rather have it done by people who know what they're doing.

Anyways, I'm doing it mostly for the look. I use the truck daily for work and every week-end to drive some dust/rocky roads to access dark sites for night sky observing. Just to say that it'll get dirty..

Ok, I'm not too familiar with tires and wheels specs. It's gonna be installed by the garage, but I don't want to go there with wheels/tires that won't fit my truck - lol.
So what I had in mind in terms of tire was: (17")
Pro Comp 33x12.50R17

Can you tell me if those would be compatible with my truck/lift kit? if so, what are the specs of the wheels I'd need? Tire with is 12.5" but which width should I be looking at for the wheels?

I hope I'm not gonna get flamed for overkill :/ I like the look, what can I say...

Last question, noobish as well: where do you put your fifth offroad wheel? it's too big to fit under truck, isn't it?

Thanks for the help guys
Old 07-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
That tire is a 15, your tires are 16's or 17's aren't they? I think the 33's will fit though? I dont have a 3" lift but someone will chime in on that.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
stephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nice
right, this one is a 15". my wheels are 17 I believe but I plan on replacing them.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
keep the stock wheels and paint them black for that black out look...good look for a star watcher like you. That would look good with your truck.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
I could be wrong, but I don't think 15" rims will work on your truck???
Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
you may be right, how could I make sure?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
ok, thanks - so basically stick with the same wheel diameter or go bigger?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
AR_Taco is a splendid one to beholdAR_Taco is a splendid one to beholdAR_Taco is a splendid one to beholdAR_Taco is a splendid one to beholdAR_Taco is a splendid one to beholdAR_Taco is a splendid one to beholdAR_Taco is a splendid one to beholdAR_Taco is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
AR_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I got 16s on my truck you should be ok with 16s, depending on your brake calipers
Old 07-11-2009, 05:32 AM   #10
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
16 is about the minimum you can go for rims. Those tires should be okay-depending on the rim dimensions. Offset/Backspace determine alot about what tires fit and what must be trimmed.
I'm not sure exactly what to tell you. but a backspace 4.5 inches or smaller I think works.

The wheel is only 3 inches bigger...I think folks have modified their under bed storage area (cut some guides out) and fit larger tires. You can get a prerunner type gate and mount the tire up there. Or get a bed mount...There are a few options around...Good luck!!
Old 07-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
ok thanks for the input.

I'll try to get more info about backspacing.