Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Recommended lift for my situation

Old 07-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Recommended lift for my situation

Hi guys and gals.

I want to start researching properly how to lift my truck. But to do that effectively, I'd like some input.

I don't wheel my truck that much. When I do, it's on trails that lead to fishing spots. It's nothing I can't do in my stock setup. But I'd like to install the lift for looks and more clearance/bigger tires.

I'm thinking that I need to stay away from spacer lifts. I've read about the poor ride quality in some cases. I've looked a little into Bilstein 5100's all-round, with the AAL in the back. I'd like eventually to run 265's, possibly 285's, for tires and with the adjustable Billies I think I can do that. I'd replace the UCAs for alignment purposes, but would I need the front diff drop spacers and rear axle shims too?

If I need the spacers and shims, I'm thinking I may as well hold out for the Toytec ultimate system, but I wanted your guys' input before I continued. Is the Toytec overkill for what I want the lift for?

Richard.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
You can lift for less than the Ultimate kit. The 5100's set to the highest with UCAs and an AAL will get the job done if you are just trying to do some light wheeling and clear some bigger tires. The diff drop and shims are a case by case sorta kinda thing- I haven't had any vibes are anything from my lift...but you might.

Going with the 5100s over the full toytec kit will save you a few bones towards your tires. And if you decide it's necessary- You can buy the coilovers without the shocks and upgrade then...
Old 07-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
all ive heard is good things about the billys
Old 07-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Right on... I haven't seen too many complaints about vibrations after installing them, which is encouraging. There does seem to be some varied opinion as to whether you need to replace the UCA's though. I'd like to set the fronts at 2.5", so that probably warrants the new arms for alignment reasons eh?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmooze View Post
Right on... I haven't seen too many complaints about vibrations after installing them, which is encouraging. There does seem to be some varied opinion as to whether you need to replace the UCA's though. I'd like to set the fronts at 2.5", so that probably warrants the new arms for alignment reasons eh?
If you have the $ and the desire- It is the "right" way to do it. Upgrade all the parts to make sure you get peak performance.

Will your truck implode if you don't do it...No It won't, but at 2.5 you might have some wandering issues. I'd recommend doing it just for piece of mind.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
all ive heard is good things about the billys
X2. I have 5100's all around but I also have OME 885 coils and a 2" rear AAL. Rides great IMO!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Just curious - why did you swap out the factory coils?
Well the 5100's in the front are set at 0" height. The coils and top plate spacer do the full 3" of lifting. I just wanted to upgrade to some better shocks.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Well the 5100's in the front are set at 0" height. The coils and top plate spacer do the full 3" of lifting. I just wanted to upgrade to some better shocks.
So the top plate spacer "boosts" the lift to reach 3" (from 2.75")? And one more thing, there's no problem with using the factory coils right? I hadn't planned on replacing those unless I put an ARB (or similar) bumper on the front. Then I realise I need stiffer coils. And that's a ways away just yet.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
So the top plate spacer "boosts" the lift to reach 3" (from 2.75")? And one more thing, there's no problem with using the factory coils right? I hadn't planned on replacing those unless I put an ARB (or similar) bumper on the front. Then I realise I need stiffer coils. And that's a ways away just yet.
Yeah I believe the top plate spacer raises it another 1/2"-1/4" to get the full 3" lift out of it. No there shouldnt be a problem using your stock coils with the 5100's set at 2.5". I have yet to hear anything bad about them.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for all the help so far. I can't wait to lift my truck. Just need to be a bit patient for a while longer
Yeah your going to love the new look once you get it done! I sure did!!! Well good luck on your truck and dont hesitate to ask any more questions if you got em!
Old 07-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #15
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is there a disadvantage to using the stock coils and using the Billies for lift, as opposed to keeping the Billies at stock and ordering larger coils (like OME 886's)?
I guess you could argue that using the stock coils and bumping up the preload on them will make them react in a way that is not intended...but the stock setting with longer coils will be the way everything is designed.

But I don't think you are going to hear anyone complain about either way...or they wouldn't still be making them this way...ya know??
Old 07-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #19
Kmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
Kmoney's Tacoma Gallery
Ok... so let me interject with a question. Can you run the 5100's at 2.5" and then add the top plate spacer to get the ""full 3" of lift""" with no problems?