Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

axle shims

Old 07-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
PPD934 is on a distinguished road
PPD934's Tacoma Gallery
axle shims

I have the TSB with AAL and come down with the great axle wrap vibrations. I bought the carrier bearing drop and still have them,
For those of you who also have this problem and may have fixed it with axle shims. What degree did you use. 2, 2.5, or 3 degree. Aslo Im assuming I'll need longer U bolts since mine are about threadless past the bolt and The real question to install do you just loosen the u bolts and slide it in fron the front or does it also attach to the center pin?
Old 07-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i used the standard 3* from toytec. loosen the u-bolts and slide in from the back. points side goes towards the cab. there is a rectangle shaped hole in the shim to allow for the center pin
Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
PPD934 is on a distinguished road
PPD934's Tacoma Gallery
So JHodge, All I need to buy is the axle shims and longer U bolts if i need them. I do not need to buy new center pins correct. Also did this solve your shakes. I have talked to others who say you have to buy a one piece drive shaft to get rid of them
Old 07-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPD934 View Post
So JHodge, All I need to buy is the axle shims and longer U bolts if i need them. I do not need to buy new center pins correct. Also did this solve your shakes. I have talked to others who say you have to buy a one piece drive shaft to get rid of them

nothing to worry about w/ centerpins. it cured my shakes at take of. if u get the shims and still have the shakes, try removing the CB drop and see if that makes it better or worse.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think they come in anything lower than 2.5*

If the kit comes with shims...use 'em. Otherwise, I'd shoot for some STEAL shims in 2.5*

The shims should have a hole in them. The centering pin will go through this hole and into your axle perch. You gotta make sure that you have enough of the HEAD of the centering pin to go through the shim entirely and have enough that goes into the hole in the spring perch.

The FAT edge of the axle shim will be in the back (to point your pinion UPWARD). Edited..
Old 07-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I don't think they come in anything lower than 2.5*

If the kit comes with shims...use 'em. Otherwise, I'd shoot for some STEAL shims in 2.5*

The shims should have a hole in them. The centering pin will go through this hole and into your axle perch. You gotta make sure that you have enough of the HEAD of the centering pin to go through the shim entirely and have enough that goes into the hole in the spring perch.

The FAT edge of the axle shim will be in the FRONT (to point your pinion UPWARD).
all the ones i've seen have put the thin edge to the front.

EDIT: pic of toku's shim install
Old 07-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
all the ones i've seen have put the thin edge to the front.

EDIT: pic of toku's shim install
Yeah, me bad. I was thinking Jeepeese with spring under axle. Edited the first post.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I started out w/o shims, or CB drop and had vibes. Added the shims, still had vibes. Added the CB drop, and i still have the vibes.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
I started out w/o shims, or CB drop and had vibes. Added the shims, still had vibes. Added the CB drop, and i still have the vibes.
is it the takeoff vibes or the certain MPH vibes?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

take off vibes
Old 07-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
╒╪╕

the vibes decreased, but are still there with the additions of shims & CB drop
Old 07-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
yeah, i guess the only other option would be the TW driveshaft if it was that big of a deal
Old 07-15-2009, 02:51 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What degree shims are you running? Got any pictures?

You might need larger shims.

The pinion will always pivot upwards slightly upon take-off because of the torque load. The pinion needs to be in the 'sweet spot'. You can get vibes when the pinion goes above or below that sweet spot.

I'd try larger shims (and remove the carrier bearing spacer).
Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
╒╪╕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What degree shims are you running? Got any pictures?

You might need larger shims.

The pinion will always pivot upwards slightly upon take-off because of the torque load. The pinion needs to be in the 'sweet spot'. You can get vibes when the pinion goes above or below that sweet spot.

I'd try larger shims (and remove the carrier bearing spacer).
im using 3 degree shims
Old 07-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #16
╒╪╕

heres a couple
Old 07-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #17
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
heres a couple
is it just the pic, or are those leafs really that flat?
Old 07-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #18
╒╪╕

?
Old 07-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #19
Sooooooper Moderator

that first pic u posted looked like there was no bend to the springs
Old 07-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #20
╒╪╕

they do seem kinda flat tho..compared to the leaf packs i've recently helped other members install