LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Need some help with rear shock travel

Old 07-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Carson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to behold

Name: Carson
Carson's Tacoma Gallery
Need some help with rear shock travel

Hey, i am looking at icon coilovers for the front and possibly TC UCA's.

I will go with the All-pro leaf pack for the rear and bilstein 5125 shocks from down south motorsports.

My questions are, how much shock travel do i need for the rear? Do i need anything else to go with the leaf pack or just the leaf pack? Will i be able to haul about 450 pounds in the bed with out it completely bottoming out?

Thanks a lot!

Here is the chart of the different travels on Downsouth.
http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...ce-shocks.html
Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson View Post
Hey, i am looking at icon coilovers for the front and possibly TC UCA's.

I will go with the All-pro leaf pack for the rear and bilstein 5125 shocks from down south motorsports.

My questions are, how much shock travel do i need for the rear? Do i need anything else to go with the leaf pack or just the leaf pack? Will i be able to haul about 450 pounds in the bed with out it completely bottoming out?

Thanks a lot!

Here is the chart of the different travels on Downsouth.
http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...ce-shocks.html
The guy to ask would be oakleyTRD
Old 07-14-2009, 01:42 AM   #4
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
Best bet would be to call AllPro and ask how much droop their pack allows. Then take that information and buy your shocks.
Those leafs aren't built for weight, so look into some Timbren bumpstops to help out in the rear.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You gotta remember.....having a lot of downtravel - in a shock - means less uptravel.

Are you offroading at all? Is downtravel important?

If you're unsure about what shocks to get, I would wait until after you install the rear leafs. You can use your stock shocks until you find exactly what you need/want.

The biggest thing...is taking notice to the amount of travel at the bumpstops. How much distance is there at the bumpstops? You'll want to base your shock purchase/length on that distance.

YOu don't want a shock to 'bottom out' (uptravel) before the bumpstops do.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
depends on which leaf pack as well i believe. the 3" leaf kit from them comes w/ 14" travel walker evans
Old 07-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Carson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to behold

Carson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcrumley24 View Post
The guy to ask would be oakleyTRD
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
I think you would need new bumbstops as well. I dont think you can use the stock ones with the AP leaf pack.
Ok i'll look into the bumpstops, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
Best bet would be to call AllPro and ask how much droop their pack allows. Then take that information and buy your shocks.
Those leafs aren't built for weight, so look into some Timbren bumpstops to help out in the rear.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You gotta remember.....having a lot of downtravel - in a shock - means less uptravel.

Are you offroading at all? Is downtravel important?

If you're unsure about what shocks to get, I would wait until after you install the rear leafs. You can use your stock shocks until you find exactly what you need/want.

The biggest thing...is taking notice to the amount of travel at the bumpstops. How much distance is there at the bumpstops? You'll want to base your shock purchase/length on that distance.

YOu don't want a shock to 'bottom out' (uptravel) before the bumpstops do.
I will be off roading and i am hoping that i can haul ass and have a smooth ride, as well as on road. I will also be playing on the rocks. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
depends on which leaf pack as well i believe. the 3" leaf kit from them comes w/ 14" travel walker evans
I am just looking at the leaf pack not the leaf pack that comes with shocks. Thanks

If i don't go with TC UCAs how much lift can i have without having alignment problems? 2.5"?

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

I am just looking at the leaf pack not the leaf pack that comes with shocks. Thanks
i know that, but my statement was referring to the amount of shock travel
Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #9

Carson's Tacoma Gallery
ahh i see! ok thanks so it looks like i should go with shocks with about 14" travel. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
ahh i see! ok thanks so it looks like i should go with shocks with about 14" travel. Thanks.
thats what they send out w/ the 3" kits, so i would hope it's the right length
Old 07-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
I think you would need new bumbstops as well. I dont think you can use the stock ones with the AP leaf pack.
You only need new bumpstops with the All Pro u-bolt flip kit. The stockers will still work if the u-bolt orientation is left alone.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #13

Carson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
You only need new bumpstops with the All Pro u-bolt flip kit. The stockers will still work if the u-bolt orientation is left alone.
ahh ok good so it looks like i wont have to shell out 195$
thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #14

Quote:
ahh ok good so it looks like i wont have to shell out 195$
thanks
you dont "have" to put on bumpstops. i had my truck WEIGHED down and the frame was about 2-3" from the flip kit and it never bottomed out.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #15

Carson's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks
What coil overs do you have it the front and does it ride smooth?

Do aftermarket UCA's give you more travel? I noticed on wheelers that the icon/tc uca kit for 1650 comes with extended travel shocks

EDIT: will i be able to haul ass off road easily?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #16

i have the AP 3" walker evans CO's up front and the previous model AP UCA's. and as long as u get the ball joint UCA's u should get a tiny bit more travel...no more than an inch or two i would think