Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Just need confirmation (5100, AAL - then 885's)

Old 07-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Just need confirmation (5100, AAL - then 885's)

Here are my plans...I just need a "sounds good to me" before I click 'submit'.

2009 Double Cab TRDsport:

5100's on all 4 corners (fronts set at 1.75") with a 1.5" TSB AAL all sitting on stock Bridgestone Dueller's.

When I do get new tires (next year or two), I will set the front 5100's back to 0" and cover them with OME 885's. Nothing changes in the rear. At that time, I would upgrade the UCA's.

Am I missing anything? Should I look at another setup? Any reason to upgrade to 5125's?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
hsc001 will become famous soon enoughhsc001 will become famous soon enough

hsc001's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with the toytec coilovers but who hell cares what i think. No need to get the 5125's. Those shocks are not meant for our trucks and the adaptor needed to run the 5125's are going to look stupid.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
hsc001 will become famous soon enoughhsc001 will become famous soon enough

hsc001's Tacoma Gallery
oh yeah other then that your good to go.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a good setup to me. I have a set of 5100s on their way right now (should be here tomorrow morning). My debate now is whether or not I should go with 885s up front and ditch the stock TRD OR springs that I am currently running.

I have a 1.5 AAL in the rear already, and the 5100s will be replacing the revtek kit that I removed a few months back. (Sure wish I would have found TW sooner!)

5125s in the rear are not necessary for only 1.5" of lift in the rear. You'll be good to go with the 5100s.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #5
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Cool pic Cliff.Are your 5125's @10" travel??
Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein does not recommend the 5100's w/ aftermarket springs, only stock springs. For a better ride, I suggest either 5100's w/ stock springs or OME coils w/ OME yellow shocks. The OME shocks are valved specific for the OME coils where Bilstein's aren't. TTORA has a few postings about terrible ride w/ 5100's and OME coils.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nice pic Oakley...your truck is badass!

I don't think I need that kind of flex for the off roading that I plan to do. If I do get into this sport, I'll upgrade at that time. For now, I'm going to run with the 5100's and AAL. I don't want coilovers with the full 3" lift because I am running stock tires and don't want to upgrade those at this point. (total cost = $355)

When I do upgrade, I'll get the 885 springs and diff drop ($200)

At that point, I'll have the full 3" lift for $555.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
bass turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
Bilstein does not recommend the 5100's w/ aftermarket springs, only stock springs. For a better ride, I suggest either 5100's w/ stock springs or OME coils w/ OME yellow shocks. The OME shocks are valved specific for the OME coils where Bilstein's aren't. TTORA has a few postings about terrible ride w/ 5100's and OME coils.

Interesting...

Whats the difference between 5100's with OME coils and what OakeyTRD has? He calls them "5100 Coilovers" but isn't that just Toytec springs coiled over 5100 shocks? If that's the case, I could buy the Toytec springs instead of the OME's...right?

From his build:
Quote:
Suspention
Toytec Bilstein 5100 Coilovers (3")
Camburg 1.25" Uniball UCAs
Rear TSB & Toytec TSB AAL
Bilstein 5125 Extended Length Rear Shocks
Toytec Diff Drop
All Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit
Cab Mount Chop
Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #9
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Interesting...

Whats the difference between 5100's with OME coils and what OakeyTRD has? He calls them Toytec Coil Overs but isn't that just Toytec springs coiled over 5100 shocks? If that's the case, I could buy the Toytec springs instead of the OME's...right?
ToyTec Lifts sells OEM coils.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...light=oem+5100
Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
Carson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to behold

Name: Carson
Carson's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hijack but where do you get the 5125 adapters?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #12
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
Really? Because my truck rode great with 884's and 5100's in the front.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #13
bass turds

I spoke to Wheelers and the rep told me the 5100's and 885 assembled on OME shocks will perform about the same in light off-road settings. The OME's are supposed to be slightly softer (something I have heard around these
parts).

The big difference is in price. I can get the 5100's and AAL for $370 shipped.
The OME 885, OME shock and AAL is $700 plus shipping.