1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adjusting Fox 2.5 Coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by FoxRacR17, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Jul 16, 2009 at 7:19 PM
    FoxRacR17

FoxRacR17 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 SR5 DoubleCab Short Bed
    Fox 2.5 C/O's, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, toytec 1.5" AAL, TC UCA's, blue/white dashboard lights, seatbelt chime removed, Synthetic leather armrests, WO seat covers front and back, Goodyear Wranger Duratrac 285/70/17, KMC XD Addict 17x9 rims
    Ok so last weekend I put on my new style Fox 2.5 RR Coilovers. I measured from center of the hub to bottom of the fender before I put the shocks on and then put them on and adjusted until each side was 3" taller, put on my 33" wheels and drove it like that for 2 days before getting it aligned. This is where things get weird.

The day before I got it aligned I happened to measure from the ground up to the bottom of the fender on each side and the drivers was just under 39" and the passenger was just over 39". I took it in for an alignment, dropped it of since they were busy and about 4 hours later I picked it up. When I went to pick it up the very first thing I thought when I saw my truck was that the front end looks awfully high up, higher then I remember. I drove back to my girlfriends and when over a little incline, no faster then the day before, and I noticed that there was a clunk when I went over the top of the little incline, right about when the suspension was fully extended I would say. This unnerved me right away.

I went home and checked the torque on all the bolts and the bolts for the LCA were not torqued to the 100Ft/lbs that the FSM says, so I torqued them hoping that the clunk would go away, but it didnt. So today when I got home from work I went and started messing around the the coilovers since they looks taller, and when I measured both side this time the passanger side was almost 40" and the drivers was a little over 39.5"! I dont know how that happened.

I have been doing some research and as I understand it the general rule of thumb is that for every 1/2" of thread=1" of actual lift. So the way I see it I would want 1.5" of thread, but what no one says is if its from the top of the top collar, or the top of the spring.

You will have to excuse my wicked paint skills, but after adjusting my C/O's down a little bit, this is where they currently sit at on both sides. It seems to of lessened the clunking noise I was hearing but it is still there and I have not gone over that little dip/incline on the way to my girlfriends house yet so I do not know if its gone or not. Is this right?

IMAGE_041.jpg

Cliffs: After alignment front end sat higher somehow and had a clunk that was not previously there, not sure how to adjust C/O's, picture where currently set at, is this right?

2. Jul 16, 2009 at 7:30 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    just an FYI, its not always 2xthread=lift. my walker evans are thread=lift. 3.5" thread on drivers and 3.2" on the passenger=3" of total lift...

scottalot likes this.
  3. Jul 16, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    FoxRacR17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Fox 2.5 C/O's, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, toytec 1.5" AAL, TC UCA's, blue/white dashboard lights, seatbelt chime removed, Synthetic leather armrests, WO seat covers front and back, Goodyear Wranger Duratrac 285/70/17, KMC XD Addict 17x9 rims
    ok, so say if I wanted to start over and put these shocks at 0 lift, would I put the top locking collar all the way to the top so that no thread is showing? Would that put it back at stock height and then I can adjust both sides until I get 3" of lift? I cannont find ANY documentation on these fox shocks. I tried calling Fox to see how much thread equals how much lift and the guy said there was no formula, I just have to measure.

4. Jul 16, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...

read the top of page 5 in that document. has the settings for fox shocks...u'd have to see if those are right ones though

5. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    FoxRacR17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I came across that PDF yesterday in my searching, but that looks like its for their exclusive 2.0" fox shocks and not the 2.5" shocks.

6. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:17 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    hey I had the same problem with my fox 2.0s. I used the PDF from allpro and it was bunk as for X amount of thread = X amount of lift.....
    on mine I have 2 1/4" of thread on passenger side and 2 7/8" of thread showing on the driver side and that seems to have me at about 2.5 inches of lift....putting me at 38 1/2 inches from ground the bottom of my fender.
    Oh and you want to measure from the top of the big adjuster nut to the top of the co where the thread starts.

and I know what you mean about the "clunking" sound too. I had way too much lift on mine at first and the spring was very tight and would "pop/clunk" over small bumps and gave a terrible ruff ride.

this is how much thread i have on mine now showing
    [​IMG]

7. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    Coastie Joe

Coastie Joe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    NM
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Off Road
    Oh great! I am thinkin about buying some 2.0s tomorrow now you guys got me creepin out that they are gonna be a pain in my arse!? Anyone wana put me at ease or should I not be getting into these fox shocks?

8. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    FoxRacR17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I dunno, right about now I'm kinda wishing that I got the ICONS instead only because there does not seem to be enough documentation on these Fox Shocks, they certainly look nice, but the ICONS look almost identical now that Fox changed their colors.

9. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:56 PM
    Coastie Joe

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    NM
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Off Road
    Yeah.... Its like 6 to one half dozen to another... One guy is happy and another guy isnt... :(

10. Jul 16, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I like them, alot. Took a little bit to get them where I wanted them but Im happy with them now. but with fox or icon you cant go wrong. with the fox you get the 8 way adjuster but I keep mine at setting 1, the softest, and you get the RR...

If I did it again I would probably go with icon or somewhere I didnt have to go through Allpro. I dont know of it was their fault but when I got my COs they where pretty scratched up from shipping and the box they came in was totally destroyed... they didnt include the bolts to install them (had to go to lowes) and the wrong rubber pads for mounting the RRs... But I called and they did give me a small discount and ofered to ship new bolts...But I like stuff to be the right way the first time...especially if im paying good money for it

11. Jul 16, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    Coastie Joe

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    NM
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Off Road
    I was taking a look at your truck earlier and I liked the way it looks! My plan is to do the 3" 2.0s in the front, and OME 2.75" Dakar Leafs with Fox 2.0 in the rear with a carrier bearing spacer... I have some BFG All Terrain 285/65/18 sittin here with KMC Black Rock Stars... From what you know, does it sound like a all around good setup?? Any do or donts you wanna throw at me?

12. Jul 16, 2009 at 9:12 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    sounds pretty good, the fox's ride smoother with the less amount if lift you use. from what Ive heard the OME leaf pack if a little stiff, but if you haul stuff it will better suit your needs.

13. Jul 16, 2009 at 9:17 PM
    Coastie Joe

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    NM
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Off Road
    Cool, I just hate to see that infamous "sag" in the back... And if I throw some stuff in the bed or tow a trailer I dont want it to sag either so I think youre right about it maybe fitting my needs... So you have your FOX set so you get 2.5" of lift then? Have you ever had them all the way to 3"? If so is that when you noticed the "clunk"?

14. Jul 16, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    FoxRacR17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I dont even know if the clunk is coming from the shocks, everything was fine before I took it into firestone for an alignment. I thought I had the shocks set for 3" of lift, the two days I was driving it around everything was smooth and I was not hearing any clunking. But after I got it back from being aligned the front was way to high somehow, and I started hearing that clunking noise :(:confused::mad:

15. Jul 16, 2009 at 9:25 PM
    Coastie Joe

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    NM
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Off Road
    Hmmm, there is another thread out there about Fox 2.0 or 2.5s and I havent heard them talking about it... They say they like the shocks too... I am getting the brand new ones so maybe my experience will be different... I just know that I want my trcuck to set up about 3 inches, look level, function like it should and fit some 285s under it! :D Is that too much to ask!? lol

16. Jul 17, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Have you checked the torque on the bolts that hold the lower control arms in place? They need to be loosened during a wheel alignment and it's possible that they didn't torque things back down properly.

17. Jul 17, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    FoxRacR17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Sure did, that was the first thing I thought. I went online and found out they are supposed to be torqued to 100ft/lbs. The only one that was torqued that tight was the front bolt on the drivers side, the other three were not tight. I also went through and checked the torque on all the bolts that I had to loosen or take out to do the install and they were still tight.

18. Jul 17, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Any chance you could get a video camera or digital camera in the wheelwell? Secure that thing in place, set to record, drive over something that creates the clunk, and watch the video. If it's the shock that's bottoming out you can rectify that with some limiting straps, and if something's loose you'll hopefully be able to see it.

Random thought here, but have you had the nitrogen charge in your shocks checked? Should be 200psi.

19. Jul 17, 2009 at 9:02 AM
    FoxRacR17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I will have to borrow my girlfriends camera to try and record under there. And I have not had the nitrogen level checked since they are brand new shocks. Is it common for these things to not come from the factory charged at the 200psi?

20. Jul 17, 2009 at 9:05 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    I've heard of them coming with anywhere from 60 to 200psi.

I had to pull apart the reservoir plumbing on my new Fox shocks to flip the bends and from what I could tell the pressure was well under 100psi before I hit the plunger. Probably closer to 40psi.

Products Discussed in

To Top