Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Slow speed vibe... Maybe front brakes maybe not.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:29 AM   #1
zgraphic is on a distinguished road

Name: Sean
zgraphic's Tacoma Gallery
Slow speed vibe... Maybe front brakes maybe not.

Anyone had this vibration before?
Hello all, new to the forum here.

I am scratching my head over the Washboard like ride I get at very low speed (stopping and starting), 5-10 mph.

Truck is at 60000 miles just did dif service, will be doing propeller shaft today. I did change the wheels from the stock 20 inch chrome godawfulness it came with to some nice unobtrusive Toyota Stock 16 inch rims from a 2006 Taco. At the same time changed tires to Yokohama hts geolanders.

So far I have completed the following diagnostic work:

Shudder occurs in drive and neutral brakes no brakes

Removed rear drums and checked for warpage none found, replaced retension springs on both sides

Had tire dealership install stock dunlops to rule out some of the posts I have read about Yokohama tires. And still had vibe

That about covers it...

Any advice would be appreciated. thanks and howdy,
Old 07-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #2

OK so a quick Update and Another question.

Took a look at the Carrier Bearing assymblw and it looks fine. But the more I think about the change in wheels the more I wonder about this as a culprit.
Also took it up on the highway and have a noticeable hum between 55-65 mph.

Can someone explain the geometry of the two different wheels. I think I have my head wrapped around it but would love some input...
Old 07-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgraphic View Post
OK so a quick Update and Another question.

Took a look at the Carrier Bearing assymblw and it looks fine. But the more I think about the change in wheels the more I wonder about this as a culprit.
Also took it up on the highway and have a noticeable hum between 55-65 mph.

Can someone explain the geometry of the two different wheels. I think I have my head wrapped around it but would love some input...
Rotate the tires around - see if the vibration changes location/intensity.

Wheels out of balance or warped/bent wheel?

When did this vibration just occur? Did you install anything? Did you change anything? Did you perform any other maintenance just prior to the vibes occuring?

Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel?
Old 07-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #4

Spent the day with the tire shop rotating the tires around and even changing out the new tires for stock dunlops with no change. Definitely not in the steering wheel.

Others have suggested that it may be the carrier bearing.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #5

Turns out it was Front U joint but there is also a TSB on the slow speed vibe/ TSB 0132-08. Transmission mount(s) should be covered under drivetrtain warranty.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgraphic View Post
Anyone had this vibration before?
Hello all, new to the forum here.

I am scratching my head over the Washboard like ride I get at very low speed (stopping and starting), 5-10 mph.

Truck is at 60000 miles just did dif service, will be doing propeller shaft today. I did change the wheels from the stock 20 inch chrome godawfulness it came with to some nice unobtrusive Toyota Stock 16 inch rims from a 2006 Taco. At the same time changed tires to Yokohama hts geolanders.

So far I have completed the following diagnostic work:

Shudder occurs in drive and neutral brakes no brakes

Removed rear drums and checked for warpage none found, replaced retension springs on both sides

Had tire dealership install stock dunlops to rule out some of the posts I have read about Yokohama tires. And still had vibe

That about covers it...

Any advice would be appreciated. thanks and howdy,
i have this same problem im taking my truck to the stalership tomorrow