Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Light Racing Arms & Ultimate Lift , Alignment issues ?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
th1148 is on a distinguished road

th1148's Tacoma Gallery
Light Racing Arms & Ultimate Lift , Alignment issues ?

This weekend I installed the ToyTec Ultimate kit and Light Racing Arms on my 09 Tacoma. Today I took the truck to my local Toyota dealership to have them align the truck. The tech adjusted the control arms to fix the camber but said that the caster was not in spec. The truck seemed to wonder a bit on the Interstate not sure if it was cause alignment, the terrible Oklahoma roads or the 30mph winds. Attached are pictures of the control arm settings.

The alignment print out showed:

Camber left 1.1/ right 0.9
Caster left 4.5/ right 4.4
Toe left 0.04/ right 0.04
SAI left 11.2/ right 11.9
Included angle left 12.3/ right 12.9

Should I take the truck to another shop or will these settings be ok? Anyone recommend a good alignment shop around Oklahoma City?
Attached Thumbnails
Light Racing Arms & Ultimate Lift , Alignment issues ?-img_0405.jpg   Light Racing Arms & Ultimate Lift , Alignment issues ?-img_0406.jpg  
Old 07-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
High positive caster is fine. Truck should drive nice and straight down the road. However you camber is too positive. even on the right side. I prefer it to be .5 or less. Toe looks good. The Positive camber will tend to cause the outer edge of your tires to wear.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
redraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
redraider's Tacoma Gallery
How difficult were the UCA's to install? i ordered them too just haven't installed them yet.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #4

th1148's Tacoma Gallery
The hardest part was getting the long bolt out had to bent the inner fender out a bit to get it out. The directions actually mentioned cutting the head of the bolt off and getting new ones from Toyota. Not sure how cost effective that would be or how long it would take them to get the bolts in. Overall the install wasn't that hard, just not sure what to do about the alignment issues.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Get the Camber adjusted closer to 0*.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #6

th1148's Tacoma Gallery
Chris, The tech said that was all he could do with the camber. By looking at how the ball joint is adjusted looks to me that I could be turned 90* maybe but would that also change the caster? Do you have any experience with these arms?
Old 07-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by th1148 View Post
Chris, The tech said that was all he could do with the camber. By looking at how the ball joint is adjusted looks to me that I could be turned 90* maybe but would that also change the caster? Do you have any experience with these arms?
No personal experiance, but I belive you CAN rotate the ball joint mount. You should be closer to 0* Camber, 0* Toe, and around 2.5* to 3* Caster.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #8

th1148's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
No personal experiance, but I belive you CAN rotate the ball joint mount. You should be closer to 0* Camber, 0* Toe, and around 2.5* to 3* Caster.
Thanks Chris. I looked again and there is a little bit more room to move the ball joint inboard. That should help the camber shouldn't it?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by th1148 View Post
Thanks Chris. I looked again and there is a little bit more room to move the ball joint inboard. That should help the camber shouldn't it?
yes.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
what position did you set your ball joints to according to the paper it came with? i originally set mine to +2.5* and when it was aligned it was all out of whack. i reset the ball joint to 0* position and it aligned perfectly.

make sure you tell the technician that the majority of his adjusting needs to come with the lower control arms. he should not have to adjust the uca much at all
Old 07-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
the looks of your pics. dont look like mine.u have way to much(flat spacer)sticking out on either side depending on which pic. it is.i have nothing sticking out from under the arm.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #12
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Exact setup I'm running and got mine back into factory specs. Mechanic even made a comment about how easy it was to do. Oh, the easy way to install the UCA's is to just cut the bolts and install new ones. Just be sure your dealership has them in stock.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #13
Ranger08 will become famous soon enough
Ranger08's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the same kit and tires on a 09 DC. The Tech was able to get the adjustments with in the factory specs. The only thing that needed any real adjusting was the toe.

I watched the Tech work on mine.