paulmars's Tacoma Gallery
Leaking ball Joints

Only 20k miles, no off road. Normal? Tks, Pa
Old 07-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
paulmars is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
According to your profile, you have a 2003?? Or no??

Did you inspect the little rubber boots? Are there any cracks, rips?
Yes 2003 2wd. No cracks. Leaking out where the rubber meets the metal. Started before 20k miles and each time I look more grease has leaked. One joint is all greasy and along with the road dirt that sticks to the grease.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
Pics?
Im due to rotate next weekend, and I'll try get some pics. Just leaking where rubber meets metal. Leaking more and more over the months.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmars View Post
Im due to rotate next weekend, and I'll try get some pics. Just leaking where rubber meets metal. Leaking more and more over the months.
Not too familiar with taco balljoints myself...just ran out and looked at my 07 quick.

Does the 03 have a grease zerk at the top? If YES - then the best thing you can do is wipe off the grease and keep adding grease. This will keep the balljoints 'fresh' & lubricated.

If you don't have a grease zerk - then....I doubt there's anyway of 'sealing' the rubber to prevent it from leaking. The rubber might be somewhat dry rotted and why its leaking. At this point...it's only a matter of time before the balljoint can dry out & cause problems.

It might last a long time like that...I honestly don't know. You just have to keep an eye on it OR bite the bullet and have it changed. Take it to some different garages and see what they'll charge you to change it. Then...you can make your own decision whether to get it replaced now or wait.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Does the 03 have a grease zerk at the top? The rubber might be somewhat dry rotted and why its leaking.
No, mine does not.

Started in the second year of ownership(2005). Bought new. Not dried out yet, but still oozing. Dealer service said its fine, normal, and expected, Called Toyota and they said, this is bad and sent me to dearer service, who said again, that its fine. Called Toyota and they were going to send me to another dealer, but never called back.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Its not "Fine", and they should be inspected, and/or replaced.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
try a GOOD grease.my jeep "leaks" when its hot and humid setting in the garage ,out of the zerk.i use what ever grease i have for that thing.