Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

4 inch lift help!

Old 07-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
BTHOB
archerytarget will become famous soon enough

archerytarget's Tacoma Gallery
4 inch lift help!

im wanting to install a 4 inch lift on my first gen and im really starting to get stressed out with trying to figure out what all i need to get for it and where (price is a big issue too) . can someone please help me out about all of the specs and parts that i need? i need to figure out about whether i really need to get new UCAs (not sure if ive got the cash for all that) and fix alignment issues and whatever other complications there may be. i also thought at first i would do a spacer lift, but now im looking possibly at a 4 inch coilover lift (if there is such a thing). ive heard things here and there about the adjustable bilsteins, and maybe thats what i need to get..can someone please help me out? ive been looking at lifts and parts for about a year now and im ready to finally get it and install it and put that all behind me so i can enjoy it..
i know that there is info about this in the search but its so scattered and opinions seem to differ more and more so i just wanted to ask yall..

thanks in advance everyone.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
BTHOB
archerytarget will become famous soon enough

archerytarget's Tacoma Gallery
could i do a 3.5" lift with these? what else would i need to do in the rear to level it out? (all of these from toytec)

Toytec adjustable coilver kit with bilstein shocks

Rear bilstein shocks

Rear toytec AALs
Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
3" is MAX on the coilovers because your ride will suck and your CV's will hate you. 4" lift will have to be 3" coilovers plus 1" BL or 2" coilovers plus 2" BL or ProComps 4" drop bracket kit. Ideally anything pass 3" you will have to look at a drop bracket kit. 3" suspension is max unless you want to add a inch or two body lift.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dave
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
I lifted 4" with Camburg Coil Overs and UCAs. It states it a 3-3.5" lift but you can crank them up higher My ride dont suck as a result. I even went with larger firmer valving that is for a Tundra due to wanting a heavier bumper. My CVs have slight angles but nothing that Im worried about. They arent tweaked out at greater than 30% angles.

You have a prerunner. Why not just do 4" Camburg Spindles up front and be done with it.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
Since you are a prerunner you should look into aftermarket spindles such as TC or Camburg. Spindles are more than likely the best option for 2wd looking for around 4 inches of lift.

Sorry, just read post above
Old 07-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
cranked up coilovers on a 2001 will suck for you onroad and off...

completely different ride between the newer body tacos and older generation...

your best bet is to hit up those who have the same year you have and have been running the various available lifts...

on an older body taco, if you go with a drop bracket 4" lift, you are looking at almost $2,000 for the lift, then figure another $1,000 for proportionate tires...

then, with such a small motor, you will drop another $700 to $900 for regearing due to the increased tire size... on the 2001, you likely will not need to do an aftermarket UCA... you just need to know what alignment degrees to have your alignment set to...

if money is a factor in your decision, consider sticking to a 3" coilover lift and call it a day...