Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Need some info on 5100's

Old 07-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Need some info on 5100's

So if run 5100's in the "0" position and use OME 885 springs, this will give 2" of lift correct?

the reason for using the OME spring's is to avoid pre loading the stock spring's, and maintaining a more compliant spring

Do the 5100's have more travel than stock bilstein,s?

Or are we actually loosing shock travel with each step up in lift?
"0" no loss in shock travel
".85" = .85 loss of shock travel
"1.75" = 1.75 loss in shock travel
"2.5" = 2.5 loss in shock travel
And by using OME 885 set at "0" on the 5100's I am assuming give me 2" of lift I will loose 2" of travel

Do the OME N-140s shocks have more travel?

The way I see it if I am going to lift my truck I want to gain travel if possible, but I certainly do not want to loose travel.

Am I on the right track here?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
So if run 5100's in the "0" position and use OME 885 springs, this will give 2" of lift correct?

the reason for using the OME spring's is to avoid pre loading the stock spring's, and maintaining a more compliant spring

Do the 5100's have more travel than stock bilstein,s?

Or are we actually loosing shock travel with each step up in lift?
"0" no loss in shock travel
".85" = .85 loss of shock travel
"1.75" = 1.75 loss in shock travel
"2.5" = 2.5 loss in shock travel
And by using OME 885 set at "0" on the 5100's I am assuming give me 2" of lift I will loose 2" of travel

Do the OME N-140s shocks have more travel?

The way I see it if I am going to lift my truck I want to gain travel if possible, but I certainly do not want to loose travel.

Am I on the right track here?

Yes you are on the right track... You do lose travel but not enough to worry about.

To gain travel you will have to go with the Toytec coilovers
Old 07-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
when lifting the truck 3" you will lose 3" of downtravel but gain it in uptravel.

yes you are on the right track.

and yes you would keep the shock at 0 and get your 2" of lift from the spring.

if you want to gain travel in both directions and get lift look into new spindles (2wd) or long travel
Old 07-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
You won't really "gain" or "loose" travel either way. When you preload you trade down travel for uptravel. When you get phased struts and progressive coils, you don't gain travel, it just changes how your travel is spent.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
You do not loose travel.. You will loose some droop, but that is about it.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
for a daily driver it wont really be that big a deal, the majority of the trucks here have a 3" coil lift (coilovers) or lift using the billys.

so you really cant go wrong either way
Old 07-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
Yes you are on the right track... You do lose travel but not enough to worry about.

If the toytec C/O's are based on 5100's how is it any different?
Thanks for your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
when lifting the truck 3" you will lose 3" of downtravel but gain it in uptravel.

yes you are on the right track.

and yes you would keep the shock at 0 and get your 2" of lift from the spring.

if you want to gain travel in both directions and get lift look into new spindles (2wd) or long travel
If you or I lifted 3" we are essentially extending the shock that much, so seams to me if anything we would gain down travel, being as we already extended the shock 3" .

Hope I am making sense.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
You won't really "gain" or "loose" travel either way. When you preload you trade down travel for uptravel. When you get phased struts and progressive coils, you don't gain travel, it just changes how your travel is spent.
this makes some sense, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
You do not loose travel.. You will loose some droop, but that is about it.
By droop you mean if you preload a spring you essentially increase the rate of the sring,right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
for a daily driver it wont really be that big a deal, the majority of the trucks here have a 3" coil lift (coilovers) or lift using the billys.

so you really cant go wrong either way
I want and do off road, and this is why I want to understand.
Thank for commenting.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
senna's Tacoma Gallery
One question still remains, do the 5100,s have more travel than stock bilstein's?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Droop is the downward cycling of your suspension from its natural state (all four sitting on the ground).

By using 5100s or coilovers to achieve lift you are using a higher spring rate, whether it is by utilizing a preloaded spring (5100s w/ stock springs at say, 2.5) or using a longer length spring like the OME springs. In doing so, your truck will loose some of its droop because the suspension is holding your truck higher off the ground than it previously was.

The only way to eliminate this is with a spindle setup(approx 4.5 inches of lift), or drop bracket (6 inch lift). OR you could also go with aftermarket UCAs and extended travel coilovers like the ICONs for example. The loss of droop really isn't much of a big deal unless you are going to be hauling ass off road.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Droop is the downward cycling of your suspension from its natural state (all four sitting on the ground).

By using 5100s or coilovers to achieve lift you are using a higher spring rate, whether it is by utilizing a preloaded spring (5100s w/ stock springs at say, 2.5) or using a longer length spring like the OME springs. In doing so, your truck will loose some of its droop because the suspension is holding your truck higher off the ground than it previously was.

The only way to eliminate this is with a spindle setup(approx 4.5 inches of lift), or drop bracket (6 inch lift). OR you could also go with aftermarket UCAs and extended travel coilovers like the ICONs for example. The loss of droop really isn't much of a big deal unless you are going to be hauling ass off road.
Ok I was thinking more of a sag instead of "droop"

But, wouldn't the OME's vs preloading the stock springs have a better spring rate?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok I was thinking more of a sag instead of "droop"

But, wouldn't the OME's vs preloading the stock springs have a better spring rate?
Probably not, because they're rate is designed specifically to go hand in hand with OME struts.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quote:
Probably not, because they're rate is designed specifically to go hand in hand with OME struts.
Aren't ome's a longer spring, thus achieving the lift without as much spring rate vs a preloaded stock spring?

Isn't a shorter preloaded srping going to coil bind much sooner than a longer spring.

If you pre load a stock spring it has a higher spring rate in a shorter captured height.i.e moving the lower plate up on the shock.

Where on the longer spring the lower plate is on the lowest setting, giving more build up to the same spring rate.

Am I making any sense.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post

Toytec Coilovers use 5100s. They just have adjustable bottom mount for the spring.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #15
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by db67fm View Post
Toytec Coilovers use 5100s. They just have adjustable bottom mount for the spring.
Aren't all front 5100's adj? the toytec might be more conveinent and in smaller increments but the end result is the same, you are pre loading the spring, thus increasing spring rate and raising the vehicle and in the end loosing spring travel?

I am not saying any body is wrong here, I just want to do what is best, not what is most popular.

I am off to do a mountain bike ride and mull all this over.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #16

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Aren't all front 5100's adj? the toytec might be more conveinent and in smaller increments but the end result is the same, you are pre loading the spring, thus increasing spring rate and raising the vehicle and in the end loosing spring travel?

I am not saying any body is wrong here, I just want to do what is best, not what is most popular.

I am off to do a mountain bike ride and mull all this over.
There are several other threads on this site that discuss the paring of OMe coils with Bilstein 5100s. I suggest searching for them. There's on in particular where Chris4x4 weighted in. Find it
Old 07-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #17
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There are several other threads on this site that discuss the paring of OMe coils with Bilstein 5100s. I suggest searching for them. There's on in particular where Chris4x4 weighted in. Find it
Thanks I'll look for that.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #18
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
For $700, go with (4) OME shocks, (2) 885 OME springs and a 1.5 TSB AAL.

That should give you 2-2.5" in the front and 1.5" in the back. If you already have the TSB, this should level you out and give you about 2.5" all the way around. Plus a softer ride than stock bilsteins.

I've read the 885's wear out sooner than the stock coils on 5100's but that is a fair tradeoff.

This is the route I am leaning toward. Where I hesitate is that I don't think I'll be off-road much at all. Do I need all of that or can I just get front 5100's set at 2.5" and an AAL for about $300.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #19
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post

That should give you 2-2.5" in the front and 1.5" in the back. If you already have the TSB, this should level you out and give you about 2.5" all the way around. Plus a softer ride than stock bilsteins.

I've read the 885's wear out sooner than the stock coils on 5100's but that is a fair tradeoff.

This is the route I am leaning toward. Where I hesitate is that I don't think I'll be off-road much at all. Do I need all of that or can I just get front 5100's set at 2.5" and an AAL for about $300.
yeah thats what i just bought...i was in the same boat about not off roading that much but my father taught me that if im going to do something that i should do it right the first time...not saying theres anything wrong with 5100s but i didnt want to buy something and wish i had spent a little more and go what i really wanted.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #20
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHLC128 View Post
yeah thats what i just bought...i was in the same boat about not off roading that much but my father taught me that if im going to do something that i should do it right the first time...not saying theres anything wrong with 5100s but i didnt want to buy something and wish i had spent a little more and go what i really wanted.
Well, I already ordered the 5100's, they will be here tomarrow, I called down south motorsports and they said if I do not open the box I can return them without penalty, I eat return shipping. excellent, if I go that route.

so I just have to decide which shock I want to use.