Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Benefits of New Coilovers?

Old 07-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
09WhiteTaco4x4 is on a distinguished road

09WhiteTaco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Benefits of New Coilovers?

What are the benefits of a new coilover setup as opposed to just getting new shocks (e.g. 5100's)? I'm trying to decide if they're worth the extra money. I definitely want to level the truck and I can achieve that with just the shocks, so what extra benefits do the coilovers give besides just looking better?

Since I would plan on setting the shocks to the 1.5" (or 1.75" setting, whatever the second-highest setting is), would I need new uca's? Has anyone had any issues with their cv's at this setting? I'm just trying to gather as much information as I can before my purchase. Thanks!

P.S. I know these subjects are discussed a lot, but I've read a lot of different things in different posts from different dates. I just wanted to get a focused, recent consensus. Sorry if I offend the "search-nazis"!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
At 1.75 lift..No,you wouldn't need uca's. After the install,get an alignment and call it a day.Your cv's will be fine at that setting.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Most coilovers allow height adjustment without removing the coilover. With 5100s you have to remove the shock & spring to adjust the height.

I have 5100s at 1.75 and no problems with stock UCA and no diff drop (CV angles are good).

Some people have their 5100s at 2.5 and still get good alignment with stock UCA. At 2.5 I would recommend a diff drop.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #4

Thanks for replies!!

Any other benefits of the coilover besides adjustments? Do they give a better ride? Are they a more capable setup for off-roading? Once again, thanks!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09WhiteTaco4x4 View Post
Thanks for replies!!

Any other benefits of the coilover besides adjustments? Do they give a better ride? Are they a more capable setup for off-roading? Once again, thanks!
They are rebuildable and adjustable. Some nice ones like fox have the knob setting to adjust the firmness by hand. But those are pricey. If you dont do a lot of offroading the biilys are sufficient. But if you have the money and want to get a pair then do it.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Jpf8653 is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jpf8653's Tacoma Gallery
So i thought i understood everything about lifting but i think im not there yet. Correct me if im wrong but im reading that u can buy the 5100 shocks and they adjust. Knew that! Didnt know it would lift a truck though, how?

If this is correct could i use say 5100 shocks with a spacer kit to lift more?
Old 07-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpf8653 View Post
So i thought i understood everything about lifting but i think im not there yet. Correct me if im wrong but im reading that u can buy the 5100 shocks and they adjust. Knew that! Didnt know it would lift a truck though, how?

If this is correct could i use say 5100 shocks with a spacer kit to lift more?
5100s have a moveable lower collar...To obtain lift you move the collar higher on the shock body, which in turn puts pressure on the spring more and that creates the lift you need.

Mixing spacer lifts and 5100s is NOT recommended....
Old 07-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
Jpf8653 is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jpf8653's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
5100s have a moveable lower collar...To obtain lift you move the collar higher on the shock body, which in turn puts pressure on the spring more and that creates the lift you need.

Mixing spacer lifts and 5100s is NOT recommended....

Thank you for the info!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #10

Are the 5100's the same shocks that come with the Toytec Coilover kit? I read on the Lift Sticky thread that the 5100's are not a good match for aftermarket coils. Are they referring to something like OME coils?

It sounds like the 5100's all around with the front set to a 1.75" lift should be adequate unless someone can provide a convincing argument as to why the coilover's are worth the extra money. I don't do a lot of hard-core off-roading. I would love to do more but I since I moved up here to WA, I haven't found a wheeling group.

Thanks for the info. guys.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are the 5100's the same shocks that come with the Toytec Coilover kit? I read on the Lift Sticky thread that the 5100's are not a good match for aftermarket coils. Are they referring to something like OME coils?

It sounds like the 5100's all around with the front set to a 1.75" lift should be adequate unless someone can provide a convincing argument as to why the coilover's are worth the extra money. I don't do a lot of hard-core off-roading. I would love to do more but I since I moved up here to WA, I haven't found a wheeling group.

Another option would be the OME lift. Comes with coils and new shocks. So u get your lift from the coils rather than preloading the lift. Only thing is its not adjustable. Its what I have and many others. We love it.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
rpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to behold

Name: Roger
rpparkster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Another option would be the OME lift. Comes with coils and new shocks. So u get your lift from the coils rather than preloading the lift. Only thing is its not adjustable. Its what I have and many others. We love it.
Agreed! You'll be happy with the ride on-road, but it all goes back to the question of what do you want out of your truck? IF you're looking to just lift it without taking it offroad OR Wheeling it, then there are different answers.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #13
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Starting from the top:Yes,The ToyTec coilovers use the 5100's.(this is what i'm running now)Yes,You could use the OME coils.
But...the OME shocks were designed just for those coils.(meaning they would ride better)And as said above,they're not adjustable.
If all you're looking for is a mild lift..Then Yes,1.75 (this is where i started at) would do the trick.At that setting the ride was like night & day.Way better then stock.You could get the stage 1 kit from ToyTec & upgrade/lift it more.This would depend on how you'll use your truck.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
How many inches is this lift?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #15

Quote:
How many inches is this lift?
3".
Old 07-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpparkster View Post
Agreed! You'll be happy with the ride on-road, but it all goes back to the question of what do you want out of your truck? IF you're looking to just lift it without taking it offroad OR Wheeling it, then there are different answers.
I'm looking to take it off-road occasionally, but I'm not looking to go rock crawling. It's my daily driver that I plan to take to the mountains and hopefully every now and then find some dirt/mud trails. I live in a hilly area that gets its fair share of snow in the winter, so the 4WD definitely comes in handy during the snow season. I would think a 1.75" lift in front should be more than sufficient for my 4WD needs.

I'd like to be able to clear 275/70/16 BFG A/T's with the setup. Does anyone know if these tires would rub? Thanks!