Notices

OME lift kit vs. Toytec Ultimate Coilover kit

View Poll Results: OME vs. Toytec
OME Kit 885 58.96%
Toytec Coilovers 616 41.04%
Voters: 1501. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #21
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post

Not sure..but the relocate kit is $30 , the shims are $29, diff drop is $30, the top plates are $55 apiece from the dealer plus the bushings that go in there (another 30). So about 230 in parts...and I think wheelers charges about 225 for assembled OME coilovers which includes the top plates and stuff....so another 100 for assembly...about 330 for the "extras" in the Toytec kit by my math...

If the adjustably and easy swap out install is what you want...The Toytec kit could be worth it for you.

It's interesting that Toytec doesn't make a fully inclusive kit for OME. I'm sure its because they want people buying the TOYTEC Ultimate lift kit because it has their name on it. Probably has a higher profit margin too.

Though it sounds nice and easy to install, I'm sticking with the OME kit.

Also, I have heard the diff drop is not necessary. Some have even said it's better to not lower it - especially if you wheel because you don't want things to be closer to the rocks.

Do you need new bushings? And what are shims?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #22
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
It's interesting that Toytec doesn't make a fully inclusive kit for OME. I'm sure its because they want people buying the TOYTEC Ultimate lift kit because it has their name on it. Probably has a higher profit margin too.

Though it sounds nice and easy to install, I'm sticking with the OME kit.

Also, I have heard the diff drop is not necessary. Some have even said it's better to not lower it - especially if you wheel because you don't want things to be closer to the rocks.

Do you need new bushings? And what are shims?
I do not have the diff drop and have not noticed any issues on or off road...and I've pushed it pretty hard offroad. If you do drop the diff I think it becomes one of the lowest points on the truck...but I know most skid plate kits include spacers for that...

Depending on how you plan on assembling the OME struts...No not really. I got new one for each side because I pre-assembled them. there is a retainer cup that goes under the top plate, the bushing IN the top plate, the plate, then another bushing and a top retainer. I needed the new top bushing and used heavy duty washers as retainers.

The axle shims "clock" the drive shaft just slightly to eliminate vibrations due to high angle joints by decreasing the angle.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #23
drjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
drjohnson36's Tacoma Gallery
Is the OME lift difficult to install? I have access to a spring compressor. I know the installation wouldn't be as simple as coilovers, but has anyone here installed OME themselves? I'd like to keep installation cost down to mount+balance of tires, and alignment.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #24
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohnson36 View Post
Is the OME lift difficult to install? I have access to a spring compressor. I know the installation wouldn't be as simple as coilovers, but has anyone here installed OME themselves? I'd like to keep installation cost down to mount+balance of tires, and alignment.
If you have a spring compressor and know how to use it- The install is just as easy as installing the Toytecs. Pull the old struts out, disassemble, take the parts you need, rebulid the OME parts into the complete coilover, and re-install.

Took me 7 hours working alone to install both OME struts, TC UCAs, and Wheels 3 pack AALs with rear shocks...
Old 07-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #25
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered the OME kit from Wheelers. It was more complete and a better price than the Toytec. No coilovers, but I do not need the adjustability.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #27
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's only semantics- but they are ALL coilovers....Adjustable vs Non-Adjustable is the real difference.
After I hit submit, I realized that I should have been more specific.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #29

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's all good-
Absolutely.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #30
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's only semantics- but they are ALL coilovers....Adjustable vs Non-Adjustable is the real difference.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #31
Arcanite09 is a jewel in the roughArcanite09 is a jewel in the roughArcanite09 is a jewel in the roughArcanite09 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Nico
Arcanite09's Tacoma Gallery
Is it bad to get 886 springs if i dont have extra weight in the front from a bullbar and winch?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #32
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanite09 View Post
Is it bad to get 886 springs if i dont have extra weight in the front from a bullbar and winch?
The ride may be a bitter stiffer then normal but it should provide more than enough lift.

Solid call i you plan on upgrading the bumper and stuff in the future...and don't mind it bumping around a bit in the mean time.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #33
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The ride may be a bitter stiffer then normal but it should provide more than enough lift.

Solid call i you plan on upgrading the bumper and stuff in the future...and don't mind it bumping around a bit in the mean time.
X2. The 886's have a 650# spring rate, vs. the 590# rate of the 885's
Old 08-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #34
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
NicksRig's Tacoma Gallery
OME gets my vote. Buying the kit this week.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #35
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
very well said, both are technically the same, one is just adjustable, the other is not.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #36
( . Y . ) = :)
TacoTRD420 will become famous soon enough

Name: Jake
TacoTRD420's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TacoTRD420
I just put the Ultimate Kit on mine with some TC UCA. i love it. Heres before & after pics...

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 09-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #37
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
SaltySteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTRD420 View Post
I just put the Ultimate Kit on mine with some TC UCA. i love it. Heres before & after pics...
Looks GREAT man! Congrats. I love them Revolvers.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:36 AM   #38
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTRD420 View Post

Does this one provide a full 3" lift. Does the OME kit provide a full 3" lift?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:35 AM   #39
( . Y . ) = :)
TacoTRD420 will become famous soon enough

Name: Jake
TacoTRD420's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TacoTRD420
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim920 View Post
Does this one provide a full 3" lift. Does the OME kit provide a full 3" lift?
it sure looks like a full 3''. im not should about the OME kit tho..
Old 09-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #40
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Would the front be at a full 3" inch lift with the 886 or would I still need the top plate spacer to complete the 3"? I don't plan on getting one of those "heavy duty" bumpers or anything and probably won't mind the stiffness if I can get the full 3" w/o the spacers.