Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME lift kit vs. Toytec Ultimate Coilover kit

View Poll Results: OME vs. Toytec
OME Kit 857 58.74%
Toytec Coilovers 602 41.26%
Voters: 1459. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #41
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
HEY I was thinking about the same think!!!!
BUMP!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #42
DadsToy is on a distinguished road

Air Force: E-8 Retired
Name: David
DadsToy's Tacoma Gallery
Toytech makes an adjustable 0-3 1/2" coil over. If you wanted a full 3"'s or more, why wouldn't you go with that?

And couldn't you then add a small spacer and get almost 4"'s?
Old 09-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #43
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsToy View Post
Toytech makes an adjustable 0-3 1/2" coil over. If you wanted a full 3"'s or more, why wouldn't you go with that?

And couldn't you then add a small spacer and get almost 4"'s?
I don't want to get the Toytec Kit because I wouldn't doing much offroading and I don't have much of a budget. All of my driving are on pavements so I figure I wouldn't need to spend the extra ~$450 for the Toytec ULK. I'm from Boston and there really isn't much trails around. Instead of spending that money on the Toytec, I can get something else like wheels and tires or UCA's if I need them.

As for the top plate spacer option on the OME kit, I heard that I should stay away from spacers.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #44
AlphaPlanner
thestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
thestrangebrew's Tacoma Gallery
This is a noob question but do you get OME up front or all the around and in addition to the OME, get the toytec TSB aal's for the rear? This #$%^ is confusing!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #45
thekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thekidcatcher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim920 View Post
As for the top plate spacer option on the OME kit, I heard that I should stay away from spacers.
I may be wrong but pretty much stay away from spacers if you are actually going to go offroading. They arent the best for the high strain of the offroad world lol. For purely the street they may be a little stiff but alright and way cheaper.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #46
DadsToy is on a distinguished road

Air Force: E-8 Retired
Name: David
DadsToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim920 View Post
I don't want to get the Toytec Kit because I wouldn't doing much offroading and I don't have much of a budget. All of my driving are on pavements so I figure I wouldn't need to spend the extra ~$450 for the Toytec ULK. I'm from Boston and there really isn't much trails around. Instead of spending that money on the Toytec, I can get something else like wheels and tires or UCA's if I need them.

Actually I was talking about just getting the front coilovers and not the kit to get a true 3" or more of lift up front. They seem to run about $599-699 a set.

Still a lot of money, but theu would give the required lift and some.

As for the top spacer, I was think a 1/4 to 1/2" to get closer to 4 "'s.

I don't know if that could be done or even if you should, but an option?
Old 09-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #47
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Ultimate kit on my 09 and have had no regrets. The ride is amazing. Pics are in my gallery.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #48
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidcatcher View Post
I may be wrong but pretty much stay away from spacers if you are actually going to go offroading. They arent the best for the high strain of the offroad world lol. For purely the street they may be a little stiff but alright and way cheaper.
A top plate spacer of less than 1/2 inch to trim out a lift isn't going to affect ride quality or damage anything offroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsToy View Post
Actually I was talking about just getting the front coilovers and not the kit to get a true 3" or more of lift up front. They seem to run about $599-699 a set.

Still a lot of money, but theu would give the required lift and some.

As for the top spacer, I was think a 1/4 to 1/2" to get closer to 4 "'s.

I don't know if that could be done or even if you should, but an option?
No- Adding a spacer on top of a maxed out coilover is asking to kill your CVs. Going higher than 3 inches or so is not really feasable without further modifications.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #49
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
On some vehicles the weight left to right is not quite the same. with adjustable coil-overs you can get the front of your truck to sit perfectly level without putting constant strain on your swaybar to keep your front level.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #50
Faskev is just really niceFaskev is just really niceFaskev is just really niceFaskev is just really nice
Faskev's Tacoma Gallery
There are quite a few guys running the OME coils with the small top plate spacer to bring them up to a full 3". The spacer is small enough it won't effect ride or offroad durability. If you are on a budget then the OME lift is a good choice.

I have the Toytec ULK set at 3" and the ride is great. I would recommend this lift to anyone.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #51
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Old Man Emu
Old 10-08-2009, 06:03 AM   #52
Go Huskers!
zjolsen will become famous soon enough
Name: Zach
zjolsen's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed OME and the ride is great.. so far works very well and rides great on the street.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #53
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
It costs more to get the OME kit because you have to pay to have someone install it. If you get the ultimate kit then you can easily install it yourself.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #54
Go Huskers!
zjolsen will become famous soon enough
Name: Zach
zjolsen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
It costs more to get the OME kit because you have to pay to have someone install it. If you get the ultimate kit then you can easily install it yourself.
Huh? I did it myself.. just rent a spring compressor for free
Old 10-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #55
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
SaltySteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjolsen View Post
Huh? I did it myself.. just rent a spring compressor for free
"just rent a spring compressor for free" . . . . classic
Old 10-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #56
Speak English..it's America
testedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 11B
Name: Rick
testedone's Tacoma Gallery
so here are few more questions. You guys have me almost sold on the complete kit form Toytec, just for the ease of installation and the adjustability. I probably will never get really off road here in IL (flat landers they call us). I would prefer just a 2 inch lift to give a little more height and even things out, but I don't see that option???

So having dealt with short wheelbase jeeps for a number of years, going up 3 inches or more required new or longer drive shafts in most cases (opinions vary)..but on my TJ with 3.5-4 inches it needed it ( I also had Dana 60 in the rear and Dana 44 up front both with ARB built by Currie,it was sweet)

But I know nothing on these toyota's...with the full Toytec system, do I need to make any drive line changes other then "maybe" drop the front diff kit?

Or as I mentioned above with my current off road driving style (dirt roads to get to the cabin) would the spacers up front and AAL in the rear be fine with the stock shocks?
Old 10-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #57
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
NicksRig's Tacoma Gallery
Since you dont want a full 3" I would say go with the OME set up. Just don't get the spacers with the kit and you will be under 3". Just installed mine yesterday and it was real easy.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:14 AM   #58
testedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksRig View Post
Since you dont want a full 3" I would say go with the OME set up. Just don't get the spacers with the kit and you will be under 3". Just installed mine yesterday and it was real easy.
The reason I want to stay under 3 inches is because I just remember the nightmare (and expenses) invloved with my Jeep went I went 3+..so many things need to be changed that now I just wan to keep it simple...

I think I will just go with the 5100's up front set at 1.75 and the TSB AAL in the rear (I do not have the TSB installed so the TSB AAL will work out fine)
Old 10-18-2009, 06:15 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
id say get the OME shocks coils w/ enhancers diff drop and get the dakkar springs if you dont want a winch bumper get the 885 coils

id also get the TC UCAs if I was going this route.

if you dont want to chop your panels / mounts or spring for new rims stick w/ a tall 265/75 16 as close to 32" as you can find. you could go with a 285 on stockers if you dont mind a bit of a rub now and again.

The OME is higher then i want to go, I only want the max of 2 inches..
Old 10-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #60
MarcD is on a distinguished road
MarcD's Tacoma Gallery
This might be a n00b question, but here goes... The OME link posted above, http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72 has a list price of $699.99 that includes everything you need. However, under "Rear Options" there is "Complete rear OME springs with U bolts and bushings" for an extra $469.

So I guess what I'm asking is what's the difference between simply getting the ToyTec Add-a-leafs and the Complete rear OME springs? Is the extra $469 worth it, because suddenly it's the same price as the ToyTec Ultimate kit...

Thanks,

Marc

Products Discussed in this Thread