Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME lift kit vs. Toytec Ultimate Coilover kit

View Poll Results: OME vs. Toytec
OME Kit 898 59.12%
Toytec Coilovers 621 40.88%
Voters: 1519. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
drjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
drjohnson36's Tacoma Gallery
OME lift kit vs. Toytec Ultimate Coilover kit

My truck (BSP DC LB Pre-Runner) is my daily driver, with about 98% of driving being on the street. When I take it off-road, it's usually just a mud-pit or some sand. What kind of lift would be better for me?

The OME Lift Kit, with a top plate spacer.

Or... The Toytec Ultimate kit, cranked at 3" of lift.

Either option would be purchased with a set of LR UCA's to keep alignment near factory settings.

What do you guys think would be a better lift to suit my needs? I need something that'll last long, is dependable, and will still look good. Should I just go the OME route, or should I save up the extra couple hundred and just get a Coilover kit?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I'm going OME so that got my vote. Is that the right way to answer a poll...probably not

It's the cheaper route and gives you the same lift.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
drjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
drjohnson36's Tacoma Gallery
What I'm concerned with mainly is good ride quality and long term dependability
Old 07-29-2009, 01:52 AM   #4
another guy with a tacoma
ToyoRunner has a spectacular aura aboutToyoRunner has a spectacular aura about
ToyoRunner's Tacoma Gallery
OME has got my vote. I installed mine just a few weeks ago, along w/LR UCA's. So far, very happy.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:44 AM   #6
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have heard from many that the OME setup has a great ride. Chris4x4 even showed that with video of him hitting some bumps at a higher speed.

But some have also reported that the OME springs wear out over time. I have read this happened with an older material they used on the springs but they have since (and recently) fixed that problem. Not enough time has passed for people to report long-term results and the old springs are still fresh on many vehicles.

Is this what you are referring to with "long term dependabilit"?

I'm taking my chance and going OME.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
I have heard from many that the OME setup has a great ride. Chris4x4 even showed that with video of him hitting some bumps at a higher speed.

But some have also reported that the OME springs wear out over time. I have read this happened with an older material they used on the springs but they have since (and recently) fixed that problem. Not enough time has passed for people to report long-term results and the old springs are still fresh on many vehicles.

Is this what you are referring to with "long term dependabilit"?

I'm taking my chance and going OME.
Any set up you go with will need attention around 50K miles...I'm very happy with the OME build I just finished.

The older springs from OME were prone to significant sagging very early in the use cycle- but the company has changed manufacture processed and now scrags springs to prevent that.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
James08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

James08's Tacoma Gallery
I've always thought that it is better to spend some extra money for the highest quality stuff the first time. I'm not saying the OME stuff isn't great for what it is, but a coilover lift is better than spacers. I also really like that the Ultimate kit comes with everything you need to do the lift and prevent any of the negative results that often happen from lifting a vehicle. My vote was for the Toytec for those reasons.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by James08 View Post
I've always thought that it is better to spend some extra money for the highest quality stuff the first time. I'm not saying the OME stuff isn't great for what it is, but a coilover lift is better than spacers. I also really like that the Ultimate kit comes with everything you need to do the lift and prevent any of the negative results that often happen from lifting a vehicle. My vote was for the Toytec for those reasons.
OME is a non adjustable coilover kit. Comes with longer springs and improved shocks with an AAL and shocks for the rear.

Last time the "higher quality" argument came up I got all pissed off...so I'll try to be reasonable this time-What exactly makes the Toytec kit "higher quality"??
Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Ome.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
James08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

James08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
OME is a non adjustable coilover kit. Comes with longer springs and improved shocks with an AAL and shocks for the rear.

Last time the "higher quality" argument came up I got all pissed off...so I'll try to be reasonable this time-What exactly makes the Toytec kit "higher quality"??
I was under the impression that he was talking about a spacer kit from what he had said earlier. I was pointing out an apples to oranges comparison, so since it is apples to apples I'm sure either would be a good purchase. I don't know if the OME comes with all the stuff for straightening out common lift problems like the Toytec does, so that would be my only question now. If it comes as an all in one kit like the Toytec, and people are happy with it, then he should save the extra dollars and I might do the same!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #12
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
SaltySteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Last time the "higher quality" argument came up I got all pissed off...so I'll try to be reasonable this time
Old 07-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #13
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
OME...mines sitting in the garage waiting to be put on.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLCJEYLIBQY
Old 07-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #14
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was under the impression that he was talking about a spacer kit from what he had said earlier. I was pointing out an apples to oranges comparison, so since it is apples to apples I'm sure either would be a good purchase. I don't know if the OME comes with all the stuff for straightening out common lift problems like the Toytec does, so that would be my only question now. If it comes as an all in one kit like the Toytec, and people are happy with it, then he should save the extra dollars and I might do the same!
The problem with paying for those common parts to fix problems is that not everyone has them. I have longer, ss braided lines fro mine but that's cause I like them. I didn't need any of the other drop/spacer parts.

You do need a small top plate spacer to get to a full 3 inches out of the OME lift...but it is a complete replacement kit. I do see where you were coming from tho. Fair enuf!!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 AM   #15
bass turds

Quote:
Just because something is expense doesn't mean it's the best. Sometimes that's just good marketing.

Complete OME suspension Includes: $699.99
Front OME N140S shocks
Front coils: 885
Add top plate spacers for a full 3" front lift with 884 and 885 coils
ToyTec add-a-leafs
Rear N182 shocks
Front diff drop kit for 4x4 models
OME trim spacer for a level front.

Ultimate Lift Kit Includes: $1 149.99
Adjustable coilovers featuring Bilstein 5100 maintenance free shocks,
Sway bar relocates
ToyTec Rear "long" add-a-leafs (not sure if this is different)
Extended length Bilstein 5100
Rear axle degree shims for proper pinion angle alignment
(4) new rear ubolts

Differences in the 2 kits are highlighted. Not the $450 difference.

I'm not sure of the true definition of a "coilover" but I don't think the two kits are any different. The difference with the Ultimate is that it comes with new top plates and is already installed. For the OME, you reuse your top plates and have to have the coil installed over the shock.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #16
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Just because something is expense doesn't mean it's the best. Sometimes that's just good marketing.

Complete OME suspension Includes: $699.99
Front OME N140S shocks
Front coils: 885
Add top plate spacers for a full 3" front lift with 884 and 885 coils
ToyTec add-a-leafs
Rear N182 shocks
OME trim spacer for a level front.

Ultimate Lift Kit Includes: $1 149.99
Adjustable coilovers featuring Bilstein 5100 maintenance free shocks,
Sway bar relocates
ToyTec Rear "long" add-a-leafs (not sure if this is different)
Extended length Bilstein 5100
Rear axle degree shims for proper pinion angle alignment
(4) new rear ubolts

Differences in the 2 kits are highlighted. Not the $450 difference.

I'm not sure of the true definition of a "coilover" but I don't think the two kits are any different. The difference with the Ultimate is that it comes with new top plates and is already installed. For the OME, you reuse your top plates and have to have the coil installed over the shock.

The term coilover is a shorted form of "coil spring over strut" which ALL Tacomas with the IFS have.

The Toytec kit is adjustable- The OME kit is not. The Toytec kit does comes with the new top plates and assembled where the OME kit does not. And the Toytec kits comes with all the spacers and relocates. The OME shocks don't need the sway bar relocates, and the rear shims are kit or miss for needing them.

Not sure..but the relocate kit is $30 , the shims are $29, diff drop is $30, the top plates are $55 apiece from the dealer plus the bushings that go in there (another 30). So about 230 in parts...and I think wheelers charges about 225 for assembled OME coilovers which includes the top plates and stuff....so another 100 for assembly...about 330 for the "extras" in the Toytec kit by my math...

If the adjustably and easy swap out install is what you want...The Toytec kit could be worth it for you.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #17
bass turds

Quote:
The term coilover is a shorted form of "coil spring over strut" which ALL Tacomas with the IFS have.

The Toytec kit is adjustable- The OME kit is not. The Toytec kit does comes with the new top plates and assembled where the OME kit does not. And the Toytec kits comes with all the spacers and relocates. The OME shocks don't need the sway bar relocates, and the rear shims are kit or miss for needing them.

Great...thanks for the clarifications. Why doesn't the OME need the sway bar relocate?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #19

James08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Not sure..but the relocate kit is $30 , the shims are $29, diff drop is $30, the top plates are $55 apiece from the dealer plus the bushings that go in there (another 30). So about 230 in parts...and I think wheelers charges about 225 for assembled OME coilovers which includes the top plates and stuff....so another 100 for assembly...about 330 for the "extras" in the Toytec kit by my math...

If the adjustably and easy swap out install is what you want...The Toytec kit could be worth it for you.

So when it is all said and done it is whether or not the adjustability is worth an extra $120 to you if we are really comparing apples to apples. That is very good info! Thanks!