Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME coil question

Old 07-29-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
AGENT-X is on a distinguished road

AGENT-X's Tacoma Gallery
OME coil question

My girlfriend just bought an 09 access cab 4cyl prerunner last week. As it sits now the rear is about 2 1/4" higher than the front. I was thinking of using 885's (no top plate) to level it out. I started thinking that the rear may settle, should I maybe use the 883's (1 1/2") or 884's in stead since if the the rear settles the front may be higher? I know the 884's are 2" also, but since the aren't made to have additional weight would they settle also? We have no intensions of adding any thing the the front, ie winches or bumpers.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:02 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I would use the 884's
Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #3

AGENT-X's Tacoma Gallery
Would it be better to go with the adjustable 5100's that way if the rear does settle I can level it back out? Also, what are the 4 notches as far as height on the 5100's? Are the adjustments something I can do myself, or does a shop have to set them to the "notch" I want?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
The height on the 5100s can be done by you if you have a spring compressor. To make it easier I would suggest getting 5100s, and setting them at 2.5" of lift and then just getting an add-a-leaf or block of 1.5" to make the truck sit level. Then that way it is already setup for larger tires down the road.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #5

AGENT-X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
The height on the 5100s can be done by you if you have a spring compressor. To make it easier I would suggest getting 5100s, and setting them at 2.5" of lift and then just getting an add-a-leaf or block of 1.5" to make the truck sit level. Then that way it is already setup for larger tires down the road.
I do have a spring compressor from when I put the 885's on my truck. I like the idea of 5100's so I can set them to 1.75" and change it to 2.5" in the future. I just bought her tires for her truck, so she doesn't want it to tall right now, so 1.75' will work, but I know she'll like the option of going taller when times comes for new tires. I'll probably order them from Wheelers as I was happy with them when I got my Total Chaos UCA's from them a few years ago on a group buy. Plus it seems like they have good prices on them. My next question is, is it ok to only change the front to 5100's and leave the rears stock as i am only looking to level at this time?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Most definately, Even if you lift the rear a little, New shocks are not required, just recommended for correct travel. So with stock rear, and being a brand new truck, the shocks that are on it right now will work great.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #7

AGENT-X's Tacoma Gallery
awesome, thanks. I've looked at pictures of the 5100's and cajn't figure out exactly how they work. what keeps the clip in it's slot? and are any special tools required to move this clip to a lower/higher slot?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
Dan

YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
It is just a snap ring. It is not super stiff the and can be change to a different position by hand. The higher up on the shock it is moved the more lift is acheived by because it then forces the shock body to extend more. Hence pushing the suspension down/lifting the vehicle up. The shock is a little longer an designed for it, so every thing works correctly.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGENT-X View Post
awesome, thanks. I've looked at pictures of the 5100's and cajn't figure out exactly how they work. what keeps the clip in it's slot? and are any special tools required to move this clip to a lower/higher slot?
No special tools are needed to move the snap ring....I have done it with only my fingers.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #10

AGENT-X's Tacoma Gallery
I see, what keeps the pressure from the coil from moving the snap ring down to the next position. Sorry, I'm sure this is a simple explanation, I'm just not seeing it.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
Dan

YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
The Snap ring sits in a machined groove in the shock body.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #12

AGENT-X's Tacoma Gallery
OK, well I will be ordering them today or tomorrow. Are there any disscounts for TacomaWorld or other site members?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
Dan

YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
We don't really do Forum discounts. We just work on having good prices and offering good customer service.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #14

AGENT-X's Tacoma Gallery
sounds great, thanks and I look forward to ordering from you guys again.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
We don't really do Forum discounts. We just work on having good prices and offering good customer service.
I would like to correct this. You guys have GREAT customer service!
Old 07-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #16

AGENT-X's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered the Front 5100's from Wheelers, thank you guys for helping me out here today.