Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

3" lift - Shims, Carrier Bearing Drop, or nothing

View Poll Results: What are you running with your 3" lift AALs to correct vibe?
Shims 0 0%
Carrier bearing drop 1 25.00%
Shims and Carrier Bearing drop 1 25.00%
Nothing 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
3" lift - Shims, Carrier Bearing Drop, or nothing

I'm installing a 1.5 TSB AAL along with some 885 OME Coils and shocks and spacer to get a 3" lift on a longbox DC and I'm curious what everyone is putting in intially. I've got the longer drivetrain...so it might be different than the short boxes?

I'd hate to have to rip into the U bolts after install if I get a vibe, and because I was planning on running the Carrier bearing drop kit with the STOCK U bolts I was going to try and save a couple of bucks on the shims and longer Ubolts. Your thoughts?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
Well, each truck is different and some people don't even have any vibes so the only way to know for sure if you will need them is to install the lift and drive it around. Then again the shims are not that expensive if you wanted to just get them the same time as your lift.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
I would go with getting nothing and going back to fix vibes IF you get them. I don't have any and I didn't have to install anything.

The other thing is I think I remember reading you shouldn't re-use UBolts...and the only way you can is if your AAL will get enough purchase on the leaf pack with the new lead installed...I think you are going from the 4 leaf to 5 right??
Old 07-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I would go with getting nothing and going back to fix vibes IF you get them. I don't have any and I didn't have to install anything.

The other thing is I think I remember reading you shouldn't re-use UBolts...and the only way you can is if your AAL will get enough purchase on the leaf pack with the new lead installed...I think you are going from the 4 leaf to 5 right??
Yes, 4 to 5 and it looks like I can fit the TSB AAL in there (also Toytec support said I could) But the shim will not fit and I'd have to pay additional shipping, sweat and blood to get everyting apart to get the shim in and new u bolts...get my drift, MPIA.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
I hear you on the blood sweat and tears- I did my own install for everything. 3 pack AAL in the rear with shocks, and the struts in the front.

I can't promise you that you WON'T have problems- but I doubt you'll need to change anything. and you'll save the hassle of buying and re-selling them if you don't need them.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
I had vibes from the get go and installed cb drop and shims. we 1st tried just the cb drop and all different kinds of combos with washers to try and drop the cb a little more each time and the vibes didn't improve or got worse. we put shims in and i still had vibes; however, now that i've put some mileage on everything, the vibes are minimal and only noticed @ acceleration btwn 5-7 mph, after that, it's smooth sailing. when i say minimal, i mean, you really have to make an effort to feel it when accelerating slowly. if you just drive normally, you don't even notice it.