Notices

Total Chaos UCA vs Icon Billet UCA

Old 07-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Eesh is on a distinguished road
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
Please Delete this thread.

Please Delete this thread.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
They are both bullit proof. One is billit aluminum, the other is tig welded aloy/steel. I think the Icons have heim joint mounts.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
Eesh is on a distinguished road
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
Your right they do have Heim joints....

I was under the impression that the Icon Billet UCA's were far superior to the Total Chaos UCA's .

I asked an Icon rep and this was his reply

"Too many heim style joints in the ICONS – Heim joints don’t have great longevity in a Canadian climate the grit and grime shreds the lining in the joints…the TC UCA’s have urethane bushings on the frame side versus heim style joints.

Are the Icon UCA's really worth the extra dough?
Old 07-31-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eesh View Post
Depends on whether you're prone to breaking the tube-style UCAs.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
both are great products. both do the same job and the icons are pushing $1200. you can get the TC or Camburg arms for about half that...have an extra $600 for other stuff
Old 07-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
Suspension Guy
DylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dylan
DylanICON's Tacoma Gallery
Some advantages:
Low profile dust cap on uniball
On vehicle adjustability. There is a hex collar near the rod ends, by loosening the pinch bolts you can turn the collar to adjust the heims without removing the big long upper A-arm bolt that is a PITA to get out.
They are really shiny

Disadvantages:
They are made from a big expensive piece of billet with lots of expensive heims and stainless parts so they cost a lot.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanICON View Post
They are really shiny
That's it. I'm sold on 'em.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
HRT Offroad is on a distinguished road
HRT Offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eesh View Post
Your right they do have Heim joints....

I was under the impression that the Icon Billet UCA's were far superior to the Total Chaos UCA's .

I asked an Icon rep and this was his reply

"Too many heim style joints in the ICONS – Heim joints don’t have great longevity in a Canadian climate the grit and grime shreds the lining in the joints…the TC UCA’s have urethane bushings on the frame side versus heim style joints.

This statement was made in a confidential e-mail by myself regarding the longevity of the heim joints in a Canadian Climate...this was based on experience and my personal opinion. The ICON UCA's are a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and work flawlessly under the right conditions and offer a multitude of alignment adjusting capabilities. Steps will now be taken by ICON to help rectify the heim joint issues in severe climates that deal with drastic temperature changes and excessive road grime and deicing chemicals. This will make them the be all end all UCA for your Toyota.

Cheers,

Kevin
HRT Offroad
Old 07-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ICON is a very innovative company and i am more than happy w/ their CO's. if i could have afforded their UCA i would have bought it...i'm just too poor
Old 09-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
And being able to adjust the Icons on the truck is a huge plus. I have the TC heim joint uca's and you have to remove the long bolt to make any adjustments. Most alignment shops were hesitant to even touch my truck and it was a pain in the ass to get it aligned. If I could recoup the cost of my TC heim joint uca's, I would get the Icon uca's. Much more practical.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
Smitherz has a spectacular aura aboutSmitherz has a spectacular aura about

Name: R
Smitherz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Smitherz Send a message via AIM to Smitherz Send a message via MSN to Smitherz Send a message via Yahoo to Smitherz Send a message via Skype™ to Smitherz
If anyone is curious about the Icon UCA's I posted some pictures and info about em here. I'll be testing them out in the dunes here shortly. I like the fact that they have the slim profile without hardware sticking out the top of them like the TC ones. I've seen fenders poked on other trucks that get hit with the uniball top bolts. I cut my fenders completely out but still it's an annoying sight to see friends fenders poked through.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #12

^ Very NIce! have fun breaking them in
Old 04-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to Smitherz Send a message via AIM to Smitherz Send a message via MSN to Smitherz Send a message via Yahoo to Smitherz Send a message via Skype™ to Smitherz
I'm really curious to see how they work. I have everything moving freely and much smoother then the old crap I took off. I'm still waiting on a couple more misalignment spacers and the spindle adapters lower bolts that hold them in from the bottom. I bought the arms used without the mounting hardware. Not sure if I would have paid full price for em new. But with the adjustability and the lower profile I can see why they are worth it... kinda. We'll see.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #14

buying used is the way to go. that how i got my long travel kit. are your CO's extended travel?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #15

No they are just the original Donaho's but they told me they could be modified with the longer shafts. I'm thinking of designing some different long travel arms for some RaceRunner shocks I have. Just depends on if I have the time. But for the time being I wanted to play around with these. I eventually want to cut off the shock buckets and integrate the new mounting into a rollcage I will be building.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #16
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
Good post, I love my Icons ucas. Expensive but well worth it.