Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Buying New Suspension - Need Input

Old 07-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
tacotown73 will become famous soon enough

tacotown73's Tacoma Gallery
Buying New Suspension - Need Input

I am currently in the process of putting a lift on my truck (2006 DC). Since I have no one "live" to bounce ideas off of I was hoping to get a little more feedback before I start making purchases.

I've been all over these (and other) forums trying to figure out what suspension will best fit my needs (many thanks to Toku58 for his write-ups… very informative). I’m about to spend some hard earned cash and want to make sure I’m doing it right the first time without any unnecessary spending.

I am essentially looking to level out the truck and make room for larger tires (285/75/16) mainly for aesthetics. Off road driving will be very minimal and very mild (driving on trails); I won’t be hitting it hard by any stretch.

Key Points:
  • I’m looking at lifting the front ~3” and the rear ~1.5”.
  • I’m looking for something that will last and not wreak havoc on my truck.
  • I would like to maintain a factory ride (not stiff).
  • Maintenance free system.
  • I would like to maintain the same payload capacity.
  • I will be installing this myself (with some help of course).
  • I have access to a coil spring compressor (if needed).

Products (that I’ve been looking at):

1. Rear Springs (full leaf pack sounds like it produces a softer ride then AAL)
a. Deaver 10 Leaf Spring Set (seems too heavy duty for my needs *shrug*).
b. OME Dakar (Wheelers shows these springs at 2.75” do they come in 1.5”?)
b. Alcan (I haven't seen many posts about these).
2. Rear Shocks
a. Bilstein 5100
b. OME N182
c. ICON IVD Remote Reservoir (remote reservoirs seem more geared toward serious off-roading).
3. Front Shocks/Coils
a. Toytec Springs w/ Bilstein 5100 (adjustable)
b. OME 885 Springs w/ OME N140S (not adjustable / needs spacer)
c. ICON Coilovers (adjustable)
d. Toytec Springs w/ OME N140S (adjustable)
4. UCA
a. Total Chaos (seems to be a solid choice)
b. Light Racing (sounds like they’ve had problems in the past)

Grey Areas:
  1. Rear springs – I’m looking for a leaf pack that will accommodate a 1.5” lift, maintain the factory carrying capacity, not squeak, and still ride smoothly. I’m not sure which leaf pack would best fit this role.
  2. Shocks – I’m looking for the best shock to provide a factory ride. I’m not sure which shock would best fit this role. Are the ICON’s worth the extra money? Do they produce a better ride or are they built more for off-road performance? What makes them more expensive? Are they truly a better shock? If so, what makes them better?
  3. Springs – I’m not sure how much sagging occurs after the initial install or over the time. I’m not sure which spring option will provide a factory ride and still hold up with minimal sagging. Do adjustable coiled shocks loose there adjustment and require constant readjustments or just when sagging occurs?
  4. UCA – I’m 99% sure that I’m going with the Total Chaos UCA’s, unless someone can convince me otherwise… not much of a grey area for me.

Any thoughts or inputs would be greatly appreciated. I’m open to any and all suggestions and I welcome constructive criticism… if I have my head up my backside, please let me know.

Also… if you could provide reason behind why you think a product is good or bad that would help a ton.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
chestnut35 is a glorious beacon of lightchestnut35 is a glorious beacon of lightchestnut35 is a glorious beacon of lightchestnut35 is a glorious beacon of lightchestnut35 is a glorious beacon of light
chestnut35's Tacoma Gallery
i love the billie 5100's havent had a problem and it is not too pricey. Total Chaos from what I've heard from everyone they ;ove. Theres gonna be a group buy for total chaos upper control arms if you look in the group buy section. And from talking to chris 4x4 and others the UCAs arent too bad to install
Old 07-31-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
grizzlytravis is a splendid one to beholdgrizzlytravis is a splendid one to beholdgrizzlytravis is a splendid one to beholdgrizzlytravis is a splendid one to beholdgrizzlytravis is a splendid one to beholdgrizzlytravis is a splendid one to beholdgrizzlytravis is a splendid one to behold

grizzlytravis's Tacoma Gallery
do yall know if they offer a bilstein shock for a 5 lug with the ready lift on it? ive got a pair of procomp in the rear but still stock in the front.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
whats your budget? that plays a HUGE part in deciding what to buy.

http://www.iconvehicledynamics.org/c...roducts_id=192

this is a great start. you can order the ext travel CO to be used w/ the TC UCAs and can buy the TC UCAs from another site like here

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...ms-p-2192.html
Old 07-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
tacotown73 will become famous soon enough

tacotown73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
whats your budget? that plays a HUGE part in deciding what to buy.

http://www.iconvehicledynamics.org/c...roducts_id=192

this is a great start. you can order the ext travel CO to be used w/ the TC UCAs and can buy the TC UCAs from another site like here

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...ms-p-2192.html
Thanks for your response. I've seen all the write-ups for the products that I have listed and have been pricing them all out. I can afford to get the ICON's but would like to know more about why I should choose them over the others that I have listed.

The ICON set that you listed has the rear ICON's with the remote reservoirs. These seem like overkill to me since they are made to reduce the heat produced during rigorous off roading, which I don't plan on doing.

If there is a valid reason for me to go with the ICON's I will, but I don't want to buy something that isn't necessary. I'm just looking for the best setup for my needs.