I've been all over these (and other) forums trying to figure out what suspension will best fit my needs (many thanks to Toku58 for his write-ups… very informative). I’m about to spend some hard earned cash and want to make sure I’m doing it right the first time without any unnecessary spending.
I am essentially looking to level out the truck and make room for larger tires (285/75/16) mainly for aesthetics. Off road driving will be very minimal and very mild (driving on trails); I won’t be hitting it hard by any stretch.
- I’m looking at lifting the front ~3” and the rear ~1.5”.
- I’m looking for something that will last and not wreak havoc on my truck.
- I would like to maintain a factory ride (not stiff).
- Maintenance free system.
- I would like to maintain the same payload capacity.
- I will be installing this myself (with some help of course).
- I have access to a coil spring compressor (if needed).
Products (that I’ve been looking at):
1. Rear Springs (full leaf pack sounds like it produces a softer ride then AAL)
a. Deaver 10 Leaf Spring Set (seems too heavy duty for my needs *shrug*).
b. OME Dakar (Wheelers shows these springs at 2.75” do they come in 1.5”?)
b. Alcan (I haven't seen many posts about these).2. Rear Shocks
a. Bilstein 5100
b. OME N182
c. ICON IVD Remote Reservoir (remote reservoirs seem more geared toward serious off-roading).3. Front Shocks/Coils
a. Toytec Springs w/ Bilstein 5100 (adjustable)
b. OME 885 Springs w/ OME N140S (not adjustable / needs spacer)
c. ICON Coilovers (adjustable)
d. Toytec Springs w/ OME N140S (adjustable)4. UCA
a. Total Chaos (seems to be a solid choice)
b. Light Racing (sounds like they’ve had problems in the past)
- Rear springs – I’m looking for a leaf pack that will accommodate a 1.5” lift, maintain the factory carrying capacity, not squeak, and still ride smoothly. I’m not sure which leaf pack would best fit this role.
- Shocks – I’m looking for the best shock to provide a factory ride. I’m not sure which shock would best fit this role. Are the ICON’s worth the extra money? Do they produce a better ride or are they built more for off-road performance? What makes them more expensive? Are they truly a better shock? If so, what makes them better?
- Springs – I’m not sure how much sagging occurs after the initial install or over the time. I’m not sure which spring option will provide a factory ride and still hold up with minimal sagging. Do adjustable coiled shocks loose there adjustment and require constant readjustments or just when sagging occurs?
- UCA – I’m 99% sure that I’m going with the Total Chaos UCA’s, unless someone can convince me otherwise… not much of a grey area for me.
Any thoughts or inputs would be greatly appreciated. I’m open to any and all suggestions and I welcome constructive criticism… if I have my head up my backside, please let me know.
Also… if you could provide reason behind why you think a product is good or bad that would help a ton.
Thanks in advance!