Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Double Checking/ Rear Shock Question

Old 08-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Uncharted is on a distinguished road

Uncharted's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Double Checking/ Rear Shock Question

So I decided to take the plunge and lift my Taco! I just wanted to double check I got everything coming that I need.

Icon Extended Travel CO's...ordered
Icon CO Spanner Wrench...ordered
Toytec AAL for TSB...ordered
Toytec Diff Drop kit...ordered
XD revolvers....ordered
285/70/17 Hankook Dynapro MT...ordered
Total Chaos UCA's...sitting in my living room

I know I need some rear shocks but was uncertain which would be the best for my setup. Any Suggestions are greatly appreciated! Also if I'm missing anything let me know!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
5125's with a universal pin to eyelet would work.
You may not need the diff drop, install everything else and then see how the truck feels. If you have vibrations, try the drop. If you don't, sell it.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
bjamison01 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brent
bjamison01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncharted View Post
So I decided to take the plunge and lift my Taco! I just wanted to double check I got everything coming that I need.

Icon Extended Travel CO's...ordered
Icon CO Spanner Wrench...ordered
Toytec AAL for TSB...ordered
Toytec Diff Drop kit...ordered
XD revolvers....ordered
285/72/17 Hankook Dynapro MT...ordred
Total Chaos UCA's...sitting in my living room

I know I need some rear shocks but was uncertain which would be the best for my setup. Any Suggestions are greatly appreciated! Also if I'm missing anything let me know!

I'm in the process of installing an almost identical setup. I went with 5100 rear billies for the shocks and am also adding a toytec 3 degree axle shim.
None of this has been installed yet though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamison01 View Post
I'm in the process of installing an almost identical setup. I went with 5100 rear billies for the shocks and am also adding a toytec 3 degree axle shim.
None of this has been installed yet though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Sounds good. I was leaning towards the 5100s or some OME shocks for the rear but couldn't decide. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope for no vibrations.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
you can get some nice fox reservoir's from all pro for the rear, looks like you have everything else covered.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
sincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to all
sincitytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
you can get some nice fox reservoir's from all pro for the rear, looks like you have everything else covered.
Icon up front and Fox in the rear, I wouldn't do that. I am sure it would function fine, but mixing brands like that is kinda ghetto fab. Then again I do have Icons with 5100s in the rear, but that is different.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincitytaco View Post
Icon up front and Fox in the rear, I wouldn't do that. I am sure it would function fine, but mixing brands like that is kinda ghetto fab. Then again I do have Icons with 5100s in the rear, but that is different.
double standard he, do you still have your truck.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Your gonna have to install some limit straps to the front, otherwise, the coils are gonna hit the UCA when your shocks extend.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
Suspension Guy
DylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dylan
DylanICON's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Your gonna have to install some limit straps to the front, otherwise, the coils are gonna hit the UCA when your shocks extend.
The shocks have an internal limiter that stops it before the arm hits the coils. You should be fine without a limit strap.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanICON View Post
The shocks have an internal limiter that stops it before the arm hits the coils. You should be fine without a limit strap.
Good to know! Is this a new feature?
Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
Suspension Guy
DylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to beholdDylanICON is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dylan
DylanICON's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Good to know! Is this a new feature?
No. The internal extension damper has always been a feature of all our shocks. It cushions the residual energy left in the suspension when it gets to the end off the travel so it doesnít bang. Itís like a limit strap but it uses springs and hydraulics inside the shock. It is also much more precise than a strap that needs to be adjusted periodically as it stretches.
The difference between the standard and extended is the standard stops the suspension just before the stock upper arm hits the coil and the ball joint binds. The extended will droop a little farther because the aftermarket arm has better clearance and more angularity in the uniball.
On a race car I would use a strap as well and use the shock extension damper as a redundancy.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanICON View Post
No. The internal extension damper has always been a feature of all our shocks. It cushions the residual energy left in the suspension when it gets to the end off the travel so it doesnít bang. Itís like a limit strap but it uses springs and hydraulics inside the shock. It is also much more precise than a strap that needs to be adjusted periodically as it stretches.
The difference between the standard and extended is the standard stops the suspension just before the stock upper arm hits the coil and the ball joint binds. The extended will droop a little farther because the aftermarket arm has better clearance and more angularity in the uniball.
On a race car I would use a strap as well and use the shock extension damper as a redundancy.
Interesting.....I read on TTORA alot of folks that use the extended ones were running limit straps, but I may have misunderstood. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #13

Thanks for all the input so far. Good to know I pretty much have everything I need except the rear shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
get the remote res icons for the rear
I was tempted to order them but figured I already dropped enough cash. Is there a noticeable difference with having remote res in the rear?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncharted View Post
Thanks for all the input so far. Good to know I pretty much have everything I need except the rear shocks.

I was tempted to order them but figured I already dropped enough cash. Is there a noticeable difference with having remote res in the rear?
no noticeable diff, save yourself some money and get the 5100's, you will not notice anything.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #15
Kenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant future

Kenny650's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
no noticeable diff, save yourself some money and get the 5100's, you will not notice anything.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #16
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Has anyone used the All Pro rear springs 3" with a 3 degree shim? While installing my springs I noticed two things: 1. The rear was about an inch closer to the rear bumper and 2. the angle of the input shaft to the rear pumpkin and the angle of the drive shaft was definitely different. And yes, I have a shutter between take off and ~20 mph. Started driving my car again until I can get this crazy thing squared away.
The shims should fix it.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #18
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old 08-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #19
you can also try the cb drop, i had the shims and made it worse, now i have a very very small vib under 5 mph.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #20
Ban Pending