1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100 vs coil overs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Jpf8653, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Aug 9, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    Jpf8653

Jpf8653 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Revtek 3" lift, Tinted Windows Wheels n' Tires Door Sill Protectors Rockford fosgate P3 shallow w/ alpine mono 500 amp in a MR MARV PORTED box Weathertech floor liner Rear TSB Pioneer 3200BT Double Din touch screen
    I read the 5100s only go to 2.5 inchs of life, but the coil overs with the 5100s goes to 3.5 inches of lift. All was read on toy tec's site. Why is that?

I was thinking about switching out my revtec spacers for 5100's but doesnt look like ill be any higher. so does that mean the only way to get just a LITTLE more height would be to go with the coil overs?

I'm asking all this cause I'm tired of rubbing with my tires but want to keep the size and just need a little more lift to clear them. Also my
    ride is pretty rough with the spacer!

Another thing while I was searching for these answers I ran across something I never heard before. A guy said that spacer lifts bottom out a lot. And I have noticed my tire hitting the finder well sometimes while truning and go over a curb. Is that bottoming out? What's he talking bout.

2. Aug 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    I still doubt the full 3.5". I have the coilovers.

Just because the adjustment rings on the 5100 go to 2.5", doesn't mean that they can't lift it higher.

3. Aug 9, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    5100s are limited to 2.5 inches of lift by their design. The Adjustable Coilovers are limited to 3.5...Just the way that each lift is built. and the results may vary based on equipment and truck specifics.

OME is good for non-adjustable coilovers- Toytec is good for adjustable...Each have their pros and cons- There are tons of threads about each.

The "bottoming out" is the shock traveling it's full stroke and hitting internals when extended. The spacer makes the shock extended further at the "rest" position...so there is less left over to articulate the suspension.

4. Aug 9, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    r12rex

r12rex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    ^^DING DING DING^^

I agree 100% with his statement.

Personally, if you are willing to dish out the dough on a nice set of coilovers, go fox or Icon. Don't get me wrong, the toytecs are nice, but they just pieced pieces together to make the 5100s into coilovers. (No bashing at all here, just a personal opinion, in fact I purchased more than a handful of parts from Toytec, and run their AAL. :)) The fact that Icon, fox, etc. put the R&D into making a their springs work with their shocks, etc...you'll see better results in both on and off-road conditions. :)

Anything is better than a spacer lift though! lol

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

5. Aug 10, 2009 at 11:13 AM
    Jpf8653

Jpf8653 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Revtek 3" lift, Tinted Windows Wheels n' Tires Door Sill Protectors Rockford fosgate P3 shallow w/ alpine mono 500 amp in a MR MARV PORTED box Weathertech floor liner Rear TSB Pioneer 3200BT Double Din touch screen
    So skip going with the adjustable shocks and later gettin the coils. Just save and get a good coilover package would be my best route?

6. Aug 10, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    tacotown73

tacotown73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't have a lift (yet), but I have been doing a fair amount of research on them lately. This is strictly my observation, but ICON and Fox seem to be built for trucks that see a lot of off road time. They are rebuildable shocks that require rebuilds every 12-24 months (depending on driving style). I've seen rebuild prices at $60 per shock or $240 for all four every two years (I don't know if this is an average price or if it's high or low... just some numbers I've seen). The Toytec coilover setup comes with the 5100's, which are maintenance free shocks (non-rebuildable) and I'm speculating that you can get six plus years out of them (depending on driving style).

If you see a lot of off road time Fox and ICON seem to be a better route and will perform better in the off road environment. If you don't see much off road time then, I'm thinking the Toytec setup is a better way to go from a cost perspective.

Again this is just my observation and my two cents.

7. Aug 10, 2009 at 5:32 PM
    bermise

bermise Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road
    Total chaos spindles, Total chaos heim joint uca's, Icon E/T coilovers, Icon reservoir shocks, custom Deaver 10 leaf pack, 285/70/17 Cooper STT
    I think Icon coilover's ride much better on road than OME coils or bilstein adjustable shocks. I had all 3 setups on my taco. 95% of my driving is on the pavement and I wanted the best ride for a daily driver. You get what you pay for.

8. Aug 10, 2009 at 6:26 PM
    r12rex

r12rex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    If you plan to off-road quite a bit, then yes, save for the set-up and do it right the first time rather than settle for something less for now and spend more later...

If you do mild off-roading and want a great ride both off and on the street AND willing to dish out the money, yes save and get the coilovers.

If you don't mind the slightly stiffer ride and want to save on the cash get the Billys.

Quite honestly, you can't go wrong with either set-up. Ultimately it's all based on what intentions you have with your truck. :) The Billy's will ride better than your Spacer lift now...if you don't mind too much how stiff your ride is at this time, then the Billy's should be more than enough for you. :D

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

I definitely agree with you, but again like you mentioned, this is fully dependent on how the shocks are used. For example, my STi track car with custom valved KW coilovers don't need rebuilding for 2-3 years with my track use. I'm sure if I didn't track as much, I woundn't have to rebuild too often. :) Rebuilding is fairly cheap and if the set-up lasts at least 2 years, IMO they are worth it...but definitely something to consider. :) Thanks for the input!!

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

Products Discussed in

To Top