Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100 vs coil overs

Old 08-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Jpf8653 is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jpf8653's Tacoma Gallery
5100 vs coil overs

I read the 5100s only go to 2.5 inchs of life, but the coil overs with the 5100s goes to 3.5 inches of lift. All was read on toy tec's site. Why is that?

I was thinking about switching out my revtec spacers for 5100's but doesnt look like ill be any higher. so does that mean the only way to get just a LITTLE more height would be to go with the coil overs?

I'm asking all this cause I'm tired of rubbing with my tires but want to keep the size and just need a little more lift to clear them. Also my
ride is pretty rough with the spacer!

Another thing while I was searching for these answers I ran across something I never heard before. A guy said that spacer lifts bottom out a lot. And I have noticed my tire hitting the finder well sometimes while truning and go over a curb. Is that bottoming out? What's he talking bout.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
5100s are limited to 2.5 inches of lift by their design. The Adjustable Coilovers are limited to 3.5...Just the way that each lift is built. and the results may vary based on equipment and truck specifics.

OME is good for non-adjustable coilovers- Toytec is good for adjustable...Each have their pros and cons- There are tons of threads about each.

The "bottoming out" is the shock traveling it's full stroke and hitting internals when extended. The spacer makes the shock extended further at the "rest" position...so there is less left over to articulate the suspension.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
r12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant future
r12rex's Tacoma Gallery
^^DING DING DING^^

I agree 100% with his statement.

Personally, if you are willing to dish out the dough on a nice set of coilovers, go fox or Icon. Don't get me wrong, the toytecs are nice, but they just pieced pieces together to make the 5100s into coilovers. (No bashing at all here, just a personal opinion, in fact I purchased more than a handful of parts from Toytec, and run their AAL. ) The fact that Icon, fox, etc. put the R&D into making a their springs work with their shocks, etc...you'll see better results in both on and off-road conditions.

Anything is better than a spacer lift though! lol

Kind Regards,
Ryan
Old 08-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
Jpf8653 is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jpf8653's Tacoma Gallery
So skip going with the adjustable shocks and later gettin the coils. Just save and get a good coilover package would be my best route?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
tacotown73 will become famous soon enough

tacotown73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by r12rex View Post
^^DING DING DING^^

I agree 100% with his statement.

Personally, if you are willing to dish out the dough on a nice set of coilovers, go fox or Icon. Don't get me wrong, the toytecs are nice, but they just pieced pieces together to make the 5100s into coilovers. (No bashing at all here, just a personal opinion, in fact I purchased more than a handful of parts from Toytec, and run their AAL. ) The fact that Icon, fox, etc. put the R&D into making a their springs work with their shocks, etc...you'll see better results in both on and off-road conditions.

Anything is better than a spacer lift though! lol

Kind Regards,
Ryan
I don't have a lift (yet), but I have been doing a fair amount of research on them lately. This is strictly my observation, but ICON and Fox seem to be built for trucks that see a lot of off road time. They are rebuildable shocks that require rebuilds every 12-24 months (depending on driving style). I've seen rebuild prices at $60 per shock or $240 for all four every two years (I don't know if this is an average price or if it's high or low... just some numbers I've seen). The Toytec coilover setup comes with the 5100's, which are maintenance free shocks (non-rebuildable) and I'm speculating that you can get six plus years out of them (depending on driving style).

If you see a lot of off road time Fox and ICON seem to be a better route and will perform better in the off road environment. If you don't see much off road time then, I'm thinking the Toytec setup is a better way to go from a cost perspective.

Again this is just my observation and my two cents.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
I think Icon coilover's ride much better on road than OME coils or bilstein adjustable shocks. I had all 3 setups on my taco. 95% of my driving is on the pavement and I wanted the best ride for a daily driver. You get what you pay for.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
r12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant future
r12rex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpf8653 View Post
So skip going with the adjustable shocks and later gettin the coils. Just save and get a good coilover package would be my best route?
If you plan to off-road quite a bit, then yes, save for the set-up and do it right the first time rather than settle for something less for now and spend more later...

If you do mild off-roading and want a great ride both off and on the street AND willing to dish out the money, yes save and get the coilovers.

If you don't mind the slightly stiffer ride and want to save on the cash get the Billys.

Quite honestly, you can't go wrong with either set-up. Ultimately it's all based on what intentions you have with your truck. The Billy's will ride better than your Spacer lift now...if you don't mind too much how stiff your ride is at this time, then the Billy's should be more than enough for you.

Kind Regards,
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotown73 View Post
I don't have a lift (yet), but I have been doing a fair amount of research on them lately. This is strictly my observation, but ICON and Fox seem to be built for trucks that see a lot of off road time. They are rebuildable shocks that require rebuilds every 12-24 months (depending on driving style). I've seen rebuild prices at $60 per shock or $240 for all four every two years (I don't know if this is an average price or if it's high or low... just some numbers I've seen). The Toytec coilover setup comes with the 5100's, which are maintenance free shocks (non-rebuildable) and I'm speculating that you can get six plus years out of them (depending on driving style).

If you see a lot of off road time Fox and ICON seem to be a better route and will perform better in the off road environment. If you don't see much off road time then, I'm thinking the Toytec setup is a better way to go from a cost perspective.

Again this is just my observation and my two cents.
I definitely agree with you, but again like you mentioned, this is fully dependent on how the shocks are used. For example, my STi track car with custom valved KW coilovers don't need rebuilding for 2-3 years with my track use. I'm sure if I didn't track as much, I woundn't have to rebuild too often. Rebuilding is fairly cheap and if the set-up lasts at least 2 years, IMO they are worth it...but definitely something to consider. Thanks for the input!!

Kind Regards,
Ryan