1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Brians03Taco, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Dec 26, 2007 at 3:55 PM
    Brians03Taco

Brians03Taco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Its a TeeeRuck
    Alpine head unit with ipod dock, alpine speakers.
    I have been lurking around your web site since I bought my 03 taco and I have read almost every lift related topic and have not been able to find my answer.

First, I am interested in doing a 2.5 or 3 inch lift but I am having troubles deciding between a spacer lift or going with coilovers. I am siding on the coil over route as I know the ride would be good, adjustable but expensive.

The one thing that keeps me from getting interested in the spacer is; will spacing my stock shock 2.5 inches down limit my droop? Reason I ask is droop is the most important part of suspension travel and I don't want my tire lifting off of terra firma every time my suspension needs to drop but doesnt.

Does the 2.5 spacer just space the whole strut assembly down or does it extend the shock further in its throw?

If I go with a coilover I am thinking about King's but am worried about clearance issues. I have read that that kings may bind with the upper control arm. Anyone have any issues, experience, or heard anything of the sorts? Are there other coils out there that are a better bang for my buck?

I offroad my truck pretty frequently. Due to the fact that I live in the Central coast close to Pismo my truck will see everything from sand to woods to rocks.

I just dont want to throw money after something I will have to redue later because its not what I expected.

Also, cool website ya'll got here Im happy to join in the community and I wished I had bought a taco earlier. I love this truck!

~Brian

2. Dec 26, 2007 at 6:32 PM
    AZsurfer13

AZsurfer13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Tacoma
    Total Chaos 3" Coil Over and Control Arms, 15" American Racing Mojave's, 31" BFG A/T, Doug Thorley Ceramic Coated Header, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, 20% Tint. (All work done by SDHQ Offroad, www.sdhqoffroad.com)
    Go with a donahoe Coil over lift. Great product, will be perfect for what you are looking for. Here is a link to the whole set up: http://www.sdhqoffroad.com/store/susp-dr-toy-tac1.asp

3. Dec 26, 2007 at 11:20 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    If you offroad frequently then I suggest spending more money in the beginning and get yourself some coilovers for the front... do it right the first time without spending more money later on to achieve the same result.

4. Dec 27, 2007 at 10:44 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    yeah but everyone is forgetting something..coilover or spacer they both have nothing to do with droop unless you move the arms down with a cradle... other wise they would bust cv's on every little jump from the arms swining down... the max droop is attained from factory or custom like total chaos or solid axle etc... thats why with a 3" lift you are supposed to do the diff drop cause other wise it stretches the cv's to the max angle at full droop...

5. Dec 28, 2007 at 6:50 AM
    AZsurfer13

AZsurfer13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Tacoma
    Total Chaos 3" Coil Over and Control Arms, 15" American Racing Mojave's, 31" BFG A/T, Doug Thorley Ceramic Coated Header, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, 20% Tint. (All work done by SDHQ Offroad, www.sdhqoffroad.com)
    Most of the kits offered have the control arm with them. My Coilover lift has an extra 3" of droop. I have a total chaos lift. Donahoe has all those options too. The only reason I did not go with Donahoe or Fox is because I have the regular cab 2.7L, which they do no make a kit for. Although if I wanted to make my truck long travel I could go with Fox. Here is the website to the shop I go to and am good friends with the owner: www.sdhqoffroad.com , they have everything you could ever need, and if they don't have it odds are they can make it for you too.

6. Dec 28, 2007 at 9:22 AM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    yeah like I said "custom like total chaos or solid axle etc... " but just bolting a coil over in place of factory strut and spacer wont give more droop is what i meant

7. Dec 28, 2007 at 5:59 PM
    Brians03Taco

Brians03Taco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Its a TeeeRuck
    Alpine head unit with ipod dock, alpine speakers.
    I supposed I should have been more specific. I am not intending for my truck to be long travel. I don't want to sink that kind of dough right now. When I do something custom one day it will be a four or three link solid front axle. Untill then I am trying to figure out how to clear the 270-75-16's that are on it right now so they dont rub.

I do not want to loose any more of the factory droop but I am not too concerned about adding any to it either.

~Brian

8. Dec 28, 2007 at 6:04 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Brian, if that's the case then get spacers if you want to go the cheap route. I'd say 1.5" spacers should clear those tires.

Products Discussed in

To Top