1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignment question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by john01374, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Aug 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM
    john01374

john01374 [OP] Member

Member:
    I've been battleing front suspension and steering probelms on my 03 4X4 TRD O/R for the better part of two years now. The truck has a nasty case of bump steer. The slightest bump will cause this truck to almost change lanes. The truck also wanders all over the road.

I've replaced the shocks all around with 5100's. The fronts are set to the middle slot so she's got about 1.5 inches of lift in the front. I replaced the Steering rack bushing along with the Sway bar bushing while I was under there.

It running a year old set of Revo's set to 34 psi front 32 psi rear. Tires are like new with no signs of wear.

My truck also suffers from the loose steering shaft so i'm taking that out to be welded together this coming weekend.

I had the truck aligned after the front end work was done but looking at the sheet it appears that they didn't do any caster adjustments as that section of the sheet is blank.

I've been told that caster is the adjustment that controls bump steer. The more caster the truck has the better it will track. IS this true? Could a lack of Caster be the problem?

2. Aug 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Yes it sounds like your caster is much to low. This is normal when lifting Tacomas, however yours sounds like it is way to low. A good Alignment tech should be able to get at least 1.4 deg positive caster on each side. What you may want to do is get an aftermarket set of control arms. They come with more caster engineered into them. Low caster will let the vehicle wander and also be more susceptible to bump steer.

3. Aug 13, 2009 at 5:52 AM
    john01374

john01374 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the reply Dan. From what I've read and been told these trucks should have somewhere around +2.5 degrees of caster to track straight. I spoke to the local dealer last night and they say there is enough adjustment in the front end to get +2.5 and more. Looks like it's off the the alignment shop.

J

4. Aug 13, 2009 at 12:15 PM
    bermise

bermise Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road
    Total chaos spindles, Total chaos heim joint uca's, Icon E/T coilovers, Icon reservoir shocks, custom Deaver 10 leaf pack, 285/70/17 Cooper STT
    To be honest, every truck is a little different when it comes to alignment specs. The type of lift and tires you have will vary. The one shop that got my truck aligned, did not even use printouts. I would say 90% of a successful alignment is the tech doing the work, not the cpu screen.

5. Aug 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    I would check wear in the tierod-ends too.:)

Products Discussed in

To Top