Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

All pro LT vs. Pro Comp 6"

Old 08-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
All pro LT vs. Pro Comp 6"

Ok, so I am looking into doing something to the suspension with my truck, I have a leveling kit right now and want something a lot better. I am wanting to do the work myself because I dont really know of a lot of good places in my town. So I was just curious which one would be easier to install? What all does the LT kit call for? I really, REALLY like monkeyproofs truck and was just curious which kit would be harder on your truck. Any input in this would be greatly appreciated. Might not be on right away so I would like to say thank you in advance.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Eh just your basic knowledge, I am going to have a lot of experienced help with me so not too worried.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Long travel for better performance, hands down.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
I understand the LT is better in performance wise, its just on my way to making the final decision I started thinking about the difficulty of the install. Does anyone know what you have to do in the installation process with the LT? How much welding if any, how much cutting? Thank you everyone
Old 08-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
I understand the LT is better in performance wise, its just on my way to making the final decision I started thinking about the difficulty of the install. Does anyone know what you have to do in the installation process with the LT? How much welding if any, how much cutting? Thank you everyone
If you are not a very experienced mechanic, you will not be able to install the long travel kit yourself. It takes a pro shop at least a week.
The 6" drop bracket lift is a easier install but I am pretty sure you have to do some cutting. If you have to ask about it, you probably need to bring it to a professional shop.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
If you are not a very experienced mechanic, you will not be able to install the long travel kit yourself. It takes a pro shop at least a week or two.
The 6" drop bracket lift is a easier install but I am pretty sure you have to do some cutting. If you have to ask about it, you probably need to bring it to a professional shop.
Wrong wrong wrong.... the LT kit is VERY easy to install. Its all bolt on. This is a no brainier, LT hands down all the way! If you have a prerunner, install shouldn't take more then 4-5 hours. If you have 4wd then just get an axle shop to rebuild your longer CVs, 6-7 hours tops.

Here is a quick summary:

1. remove stock coil overs
2. remove upper control arm
3. remove lower control arm
4. remove stock steering links
5. install new upper control arm
6. install new lower control arm
7. install new steering links
8. install new coil-overs
9. install extended break lines
10. have a beer.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Oh ya, I figured the LT kit would be a hard install, how is this on a daily driver?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrujillo63 View Post
Wrong wrong wrong.... the LT kit is VERY easy to install. Its all bolt on. This is a no brainier, LT hands down all the way! If you have a prerunner, install shouldn't take more then 4-5 hours. If you have 4wd then just get an axle shop to rebuild your longer CVs, 6-7 hours tops.
So its a pretty easy install? I wasnt sure if this was all bolt on or what. I was really looking forward to trying to do the install.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #12
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Oh ya, I figured the LT kit would be a hard install, how is this on a daily driver?
No its not. I can install it with basic tools and a few jack stands. The only hard part is rebuilding the axles, which you can have an axle shop do for you for no more then $50-100 bucks.

Here is a quick how-to.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=178
Old 08-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #13
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Seems easy enough. So with the CV's, how much longer do they need to be?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Seems easy enough. So with the CV's, how much longer do they need to be?
I believe they are 2"s longer. They are also included. Dude, if your serious about moving forward with one of these, get the LT for sure. Steer clear of the drop bracket lifts.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrujillo63 View Post
I believe they are 2"s longer. They are also included. Dude, if your serious about moving forward with one of these, get the LT for sure. Steer clear of the drop bracket lifts.
Any idea of any extra wear and tear? This is my Daily Driver.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Nope, you will be replacing the complete front suspension with much strong parts. It will ride 100x better too. You can't even feel the line markers on the road.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #17
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
no cutting involved with the LT kit at all...with any drop bracket style you HAVE to cut the front cross member off. the LT kit is a straight bolt on..the install should take a day by an experienced shop.

EDIT: ok lol, so i lied...totaly forgot that there is welding involved...to weld the reinforcement gussets to the spindles...10-15 minute job on each side tops
Old 08-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #18
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
this is my DD as well...so far no extra wear and tear..in fact, i have no worries about the front end what so ever..if you could see the actual kit in person you'd understand why lol....

Old 08-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #20
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
this is my DD as well...
I'm gonna ruin this computer with all of my slobber all over the keyboard. Stop it!