Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

2wd drive suspension lift

Old 08-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
2wd drive suspension lift

I overheard a conversation at my local parts shop, about them talking about how lifting a 2wd tacoma is pointless? Could someone please explain the reasons behind this? Would lifting a 2wd taco help in offroading?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see why it would be pointless. You still get better ground clearance. I know of people that still off-road in 2wd. Their probably just some guys that think they know EVERYTHING and are arogant.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Wanna know how I got these scars?
BigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
BigBawlzTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I went wheelin with some prerunners and they made it through some tough muk that my 4X4 buddy couldnt go through. but then again, that friend was a bit tipsy.
Just get momentum and youll make it through.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
REKAB
REKAB is on a distinguished road

REKAB's Tacoma Gallery
i agree although having a light 2wd will not get you thru erverything you might need to get thru
Old 08-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
ive been through plenty in my prerunner!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
REKAB
REKAB is on a distinguished road

REKAB's Tacoma Gallery
understood but overall a 4wd will walk thru way more than a 2wd
Old 08-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
okay thanks for the info. i am very new to this stuff.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
That would be the obvious my truck has a nice suspension on it and i have been through some cool stuff so hell no its not pointless suspension lifts are not just made for a 4wd
Quote:
Originally Posted by REKAB View Post
understood but overall a 4wd will walk thru way more than a 2wd
Old 08-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery

this truck is 2WD and as you can see the lift on it is completly usless...NOT! those guys @ that shop are total retards
Old 08-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
^ that is a mean truck man, i wish i had hills to jump like that.... damnnn
Old 08-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post

this truck is 2WD and as you can see the lift on it is completly usless...NOT! those guys @ that shop are total retards
Im guessing jumping like this with stock suspension or Billy 5100's will totally mess up your truck? Or will it just be a harsh ride?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
Kenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant future

Kenny650's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
Im guessing jumping like this with stock suspension or Billy 5100's will totally mess up your truck? Or will it just be a harsh ride?
I wouldn't recommend jumping your truck with Billies...not even with a decent mid travel setup. I will only jump my truck if it was long traveled.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #13
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny650 View Post
I wouldn't recommend jumping your truck with Billies...not even with a decent mid travel setup. I will only jump my truck if it was long traveled.
i jump my mid travel truck all the time, but it is a much smoother landing w/ LT
Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #14
shockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to all
Name: Dustin
shockittillyareconizeit's Tacoma Gallery
Bottom line is that 4x4 is your best option if you're wheelin all the time or have some tough terrain that you normally navigate through.

Above the bottom line is that 2wd's can hold their own up to a certain point, but even then it also depends on the drivers experience and if the god's choose to bless or curse you on that day.

Lifts are made for more ground clearance so that you CAN navigate rugged terrain and don't jack your shit up.

It's really in the eye of the beholder of whether you think it's pointless or not, but i've had 4wd trucks and i currently have a PreRunner and i've held it with the big boy's in both.

I do not think that it is pointless whatsoever and just like WW FF said, they're probably those arrogant doucheholes that can never be wrong and think they know best.

I say screw it, and go run over their honda civic's after you're a big monster truck like us!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #15
jrodrigo621 has a spectacular aura aboutjrodrigo621 has a spectacular aura about

Name: jRod
jrodrigo621's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on what use do you give to your truck, i used to live in Ensenada Baja California Mexico, where all the Baja 1000 / 500 / 250 are made, and me and all my friends had 2wd trucks (tacoma/ranger/f-150/Colorado)and we raced on the track of the Baja and trust me we didnt need any 4wd and all the truck were lifted ...
Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #16
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
tw!
Old 08-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #17
lol i am addicted to this forum haha, learn something new everyday
Old 08-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #18
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremetaco2 View Post
lol i am addicted to this forum haha, learn something new everyday
Yeah that's what we all said at first! Let me look this up. Let me see what music is good. Hmmm, wonder what my truck would look like with this mod, that mod, all mods! Half of us got fired from our jobs because of what this place did to our minds. Leave now before it's too late! Because - THERE IS NO 'TWELVE STEP' program for TW! - Don't say you weren't warned!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #19
does a 2004 tacoma prerunner double cab w/ the offroad package come with a skid plate?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremetaco2 View Post
does a 2004 tacoma prerunner double cab w/ the offroad package come with a skid plate?
if it has the TRD offroad package then it comes w/ the front skid and fuel tank skid but they are not gonna stand up to major abuse

BTW: do you like your gibson headers? worth the $500 price tag?