1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

newbie help

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jpipes, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Aug 15, 2009 at 1:01 PM
    jpipes

jpipes [OP] New Member

Member:
    All -

I am new to Tacoma's and 4 wheel drive and have never really been a "car guy", so please go easy on me. I am taking ownership of a 07 4 door 4x4 sr5 that is 100% stock in all facets. It has 30k on the odometer, and is a manual transmission. I know nothing about suspension/lift kits and upgrades, so I am turning to you guys for help!

Here is what I am trying to accomplish and where we go most often, and I hope you guys can help me get from point "a" to point "b":

1) I will use the truck at my deer lease quite often, which is rocky, but not "rock crawler" rocky. Lots of hills and some muddy areas, but nothing crazy.
    2) I will use the truck at a ranch in deep south Texas, which has extremely loose and sandy soil. When I say "deep south", I mean that we are about an hour drive to any type of civilization, so I need reliability and the ability to not get stuck (within reason).
    3) I live in the Houston metro area, and my wife and I take our family to the beach quite a bit.
    4) Given that this is Hurricane area....you get my drift, hopefully.

I'm not looking for aggressive lifts or dramatic modifications. I am looking to keep it stock in looks but be as capable as possible. I also will use the truck as a daily driver, for what it's worth.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your advice!

Best,
    Josh

2. Aug 15, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    The tacoma is more than capable of handling those conditions in stock form.

3. Aug 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    x2. Plus, I would look Into getting recovery gear like a witch or come along if you are the only truck and also upgrade to all terrain tires

4. Aug 15, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    jpipes

jpipes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks guys.

5. Aug 15, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    The best way to answer your questions is to go into the threads that are all listed on the left side of the screen. Just start reading! Once you are done reading what people have done and you still have questions then start a thread.

Products Discussed in

To Top